Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone Tried Tire Siping for Better Traction?

I was dropping off my wheels to get polished today and saw some literature on Siping. Anyone try this?

This was at Discount Tire and they had a lot of high performance tires and wheels staged for installation. They had a set of Z06 chromies :D (they were nice) and a set of nylon autocross Hoosiers for the same guy for his stock wheels.

They were going to recommed Siping the Tires for better traction? They showed me the machine and siping in progress, but it looked to me like on a regular tire it would be prone to "chunking" at high speeds.

They had siped a few Nitto drag radials and have gotten good results, but it could have been a sales pitch. But for $10 / tire it didn't seem to be hype. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes per tire to sipe.

Since I have 4200 miles and seem to be going thru these tires :D :D, I asked about replacements and they said the new BFG KD for our Z's were hot.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has experience with Siping. Thanks...

Here are some reference sites if you're not familiar with the process....

Discount Tire Siping Page

Siping - what is it?

More on Tire Siping

Do-It-Yourself Sipe write up

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
SIPING---not Sniping

I had a set of Yokohamas for my wifes Volvo 850 Turbo "Siped" at discount. The only thing I have really noticed, is that the Yok's seem to be wearing out one hell of a lot faster than I would have expected.

The car was always good in pissy weather, neven with the "rock hard" Michelins.

I guess do what makes you feel good....I will go Pilot Sports next time, and screw the "siping"

JMHO

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I mostly leave the siping to the drag radials, since it allows them to flatten out more when you let the pressure down.

I haven't done it to anything else, but most folks agree on DR its not a bad thing to do.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Back in the 60s we used to do this, but didn't know it had a name!
:lol:

Used a soldering iron to achieve the "siping" effect.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Sipimg is prevelant in.....

....Norway, Sweden and Finland. It's also done by "ice racers" and also Rally competitiors when racing in Northern climes.

I know that some racers hand groove their dry tires to make intermediates and improve wet traction but that is slightly different than siping with larger grooves.

Siping will increase wear and also add heat to the tire. I know that when Indy qualifying was down in the 40 degree range and the first six cars hit the wall. Everyone siped their tires for better traction and to put more heat in the tires.

Remember the F1's were meant to be a suppior dry tire, and they are and actually act like intermediate race tires in the wet. Siping them will increase traction and wet handling but it will also increase wear and may decrease their dry grip in cornering. ie the tread would become to plyable. Remember the F1's have a decreased tread deppth to start with to increase their dry cornering. Straightline grip would be increased with siping however.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
MJM said:
Sure I've done it before. Here's what you'll need:

beer
flashlight
net
rope

oohhh.... you said siping, sorry thought you said sniping.
For Siping you need:

beer
flashlight
net
rope
tires
rubber melting device (soldering iron works)
gorilla costume
cheezwhiz

:eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
sigung86 said:

For Siping you need:

beer
flashlight
net
rope
tires
rubber melting device (soldering iron works)
gorilla costume
cheezwhiz

:eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :eek: :lol:

:puke: I don't even want to know what the Cheese Whiz is for!:D

Win

:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts