Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my 02 TR Z06 on tuesday and the previous owner had this installed on the nose and mirrors. I honestly didnt notice it until he pointed it out to me. Has anybody used this before? Can i use Zaino with this installed? Any comments on this product would be great. Thanks.
Adam

More info here: 3M Scotchguard Paint Protection Film

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have it and it works great. I polish / wax around it. Once its on there is no sense in waxing under it. It gives you a piece of mind when driving the car on the streets in NY during the winter. They usually put down a lot of sand. (I can't go the entire winter w/o driving it)

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Cyanide96VR6 said:
Can you wax right over the protection film? How does it look with the wax over the film?
I have it as well. It looks fine with wax on the film. A samll investment for some great protection. It's kinda like a car condom :rofl:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
they're not too popular here in the islands, but looked like everyone had them while I was in Colorado. Definitely a wise investment if you run the risk of a lot of rock chips.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
supposedly you can just lift a corner and remove it all in one piece, but you have to be careful with fresh paint etc. Once its off tho, you can't put it back on cause it wont stick. Check out the 3M website in the first post, more info there.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Speedratchet said:
How hard is it to remove and replace?
That's the beautiful thing about this product. If and when it gets pitted (ie: rear brake intake) peel it off and replace it. I have a local shop that does mine and they acutally heat it up with a blow dryer to remove. To install they use soapy water then once in place they squeggie (how do you spell that) it then blow dry and you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Red Kelly said:
That's the beautiful thing about this product. If and when it gets pitted (ie: rear brake intake) peel it off and replace it. I have a local shop that does mine and they acutally heat it up with a blow dryer to remove. To install they use soapy water then once in place they squeggie (how do you spell that) it then blow dry and you're good to go.
Mmmmm, I might have to try it. I had a bra, but it jerked up my nose (car nose :D ) and I'll never use it again. :mah:
Maybe I'll test it out of the wife's car first. :sneaky:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Cleartastic has a protective film for behind the wheel wells and rocker panels. This film CAN be removed and reused since it does not use an adhesive. They do not show to have anything for the nose or hood.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I have the amorglove and you can wax it :cheers:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I like the idea of protected paint, I hate the idea of a car condom. Resolved: drive it the way it was meant to be driven , paint it when necessary. :thumb:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Zrod said:
I like the idea of protected paint, I hate the idea of a car condom. Resolved: drive it the way it was meant to be driven , paint it when necessary. :thumb:
With the price of shop labor on the rise, installing the 3m product has worked out well for my BMW. I have the entire front bumper (kit), custome hood, rocker panels, mirrors, rear bumper, door edges and a custom cut "mud guard" installed. I never worry about chips in the very expensive BMW paint.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just noticed a corner of film that goes around the front air scoop is lifting. How should i reapply it? Should i heat it up with a blow drier maybe? I would take it back under warranty but i dont have the origional recipt and i dont know where it was done.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Cyanide96VR6 said:
Just noticed a corner of film that goes around the front air scoop is lifting. How should i reapply it? Should i heat it up with a blow drier maybe? I would take it back under warranty but i dont have the origional recipt and i dont know where it was done.
You will have to take it back and get it replaced or trim off the lifted area yourself. Once the film has lifted it gets exposed to dust, etc... and looses it adhesiveness.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Haven't read the whole thread, but I used Cleartastic a couple of years ago, and have talked to a guy that just had the whole treatment with the new 3M "anti-yellowing" application.
Get a water spray bottle; add about 3 drops of dawn detergent to 12 oz to just lube the water.
Put the car in the sun or heat the area with a hair dryer.
Lift the loose edge up enough to clean and wax the paint and clean the back side of the film. It must be ABSOLUTELY clean.
spray surface and underside of film with the water spray.
press it down, use the edge of a credit card to press out all bubbles; and let it set up overnite.
should be good to go.
HTH

·
Registered
371 Posts
GAGS said:
I have it and it works great. I polish / wax around it. Once its on there is no sense in waxing under it. It gives you a piece of mind when driving the car on the streets.
AGREED !

I have it on my 355. It's supposed to last years. Well Worth It.
Have it Professionally installed :yeadog:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts