Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to change out the tranmission fluid and differential gear oil for my Z. After looking around, I stumble on to a website that tested the Redline vs. Mobil 1 on a C5. They recommended the Redline lightweight "shockproof" 75W80 for the differential. I know that the manual said to use 75W90, but does anyone have any experience with the Redline 75W80?

Here is the website:

http://www.c5-corvette.com/redline.htm

thanks,
ddle

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
That is a nice article. I have been thinking about using some of their products as well to get a few extra ponies.

I noted that it said:

NOTE: Redline ShockProof is NOT an approved Oil for the C5 Rear End. It's Service Interval is much shorter although this is still a superior lubricant as compared to the Stock GL-5 oil.
I've been very satisfied with Mobil One synthetic gear lube in my cars, the rear end operating temperatures are so much lower than with regular gear lube.

If you plan on road racing the car regularly (where the rear end operating temperatures will be much higher), I don't think I would want to risk switching to the lighter weight gear lube. For the street and occasion drag race, it probably isn't going to hurt you; but I bet it would void your warranty on the rear end.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have used Red Line since 1985 and they told me to use the "regular" 75W90 and NOT to use the shockproof in the Vette. I am switching to Amsoil *******DISCLAIMER******** because they are giving it to me for free

1 - 3 of 3 Posts