Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only a short time left for this year's qualifying....Felipe Giaffone just got the green flag! :thumb:

·
Banned
809 Posts
Yes. It was about the most boring thing that I've seen in a LONG time. Bump day doesn't mean a damn thing when you barely have enough cars to fill the field.

Sal

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
salvador said:
Yes. It was about the most boring thing that I've seen in a LONG time. Bump day doesn't mean a damn thing when you barely have enough cars to fill the field.

Sal

You've got a point, Sal.

I still enjoy the Indy 500, and looking forward to it!

Zipster :) :)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
salvador said:

Sal
What a Shame :cry:

·
Banned
809 Posts
Zippy said:
You've got a point, Sal.

I still enjoy the Indy 500, and looking forward to it!

Zipster :) :)
I'm not saying that the Indy 500 didn't have some good stories with Danica Patrick and Kenny Brack. The story with Kenny Brack taking Rice's spot because of his injuries and then qualifying the car faster than the pole speed is awesome!

They did have one bump yesterday that happened in the final hour. Unfortunately, I didn't see it. I just heard about it on Speed News. Luyendyk Jr. qualified in the last hour with a pathetic speed. A.J. Foyt called up Felipe Giaffone, who had been shopping for baby furniture that morning, and put him in a third car. He ended up outqualifying Luyendyk Jr. with just 20 minutes left in qualifying. Luyendyk Jr. tried to go back out, but couldn't go any faster. I'm glad actually because Luyendyk didn't have enough experience to race out there and I hated to see him get in by default just because they didn't have enough drivers to fill the field. They don't need someone out there that makes A.J. Foyt IV look like a seasoned veteran. I think it's too dangerous.

As much as I like the Indy 500, it still pains me to watch it with the situation between Champ Car and the IRL. Since I'm against Tony George, it's tough to support anything IRL.

Sal

·
Registered
590 Posts
Tony George single handedly managed to screw up open wheel racing in this country and has almost made it drop off the radar..people used to care about the Indy 500..now it does not spark the same kind interest it once did. :(

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
salvador said:

Sal
Yes, I did watch it and it was BORING!!! They did have some good stories about Danica though. Not much action with only one spot to fill. :usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Banned
809 Posts
Steve Tillman said:
Tony George single handedly managed to screw up open wheel racing in this country and has almost made it drop off the radar..people used to care about the Indy 500..now it does not spark the same kind interest it once did. :(
If you think it's bad with the older generation, the generations of kids coming up now have very little interest in Indy. I saw an interview with Graham Rahal (Bobby's son) and he doesn't care about Indy. He'd love to go to F1 and if he can't race in F1, he'd like to be in sports cars running Le Mans. Young racers these days in the US either want to go into F1 or race NASCAR. Not a good sign for open wheel racing in the US.

Off Topic: Scott Speed is rumoured to be running in a third car for Red Bull at the Canadian and USGP coming up. I hope that the rumours are true. I'd love to see an American in F1 again.

Sal

·
Registered
284 Posts
What a shame to see such a great race diminished to near insignificance. I used to go see the race every year with my dad, nothing in sports could compare to it. I think what killed the race is the way drivers are selected. If you didn't have millions of dollars or a huge sponser in tow, teams aren't interested, so what we seem to have is a bunch of plug in drivers very few of whom are familiar to fans. Guys like Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart were not made very welcome and we see how they have faded from the racing scene. I am not the biggest NASCAR fan, but they are right in promoting drivers as the biggest part of the sport, remember names like Foyt, Unser, Andretti? They were once as big or bigger than Junior,Jeff or Kurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts