Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my cam but I hear its not ideal for the AFR's.
What kind of HP am I going to leave on the table?
I currently run the X1

INT EXH
230 228 LSA 112
.592 .571

My Z currently has 417HP 404 Torque, intake headers, exhaust, cam.

Will the heads be a worthwile purchase with this cam? Or should I swap both, maybe 224 228?

Dave

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Do you already have the cam in? Are you just swapping the heads? Tony says that with his heads will make more power with a standard split than a reverse split. And a forward split will make more power than a standard split. How much, I don't know. But if the cam is already in, and you like it, then it may not be worth the time and $$ to swap it out.

I'd call Tony at ARF or post this question on LS1tech. I bet that someone over there probably has the X1 with the AFR's and can give you some experience.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did speak to Tony, I'm looking for some comparisons if any exist. I could talk to Tony for hours, but he'd get sick of me (I ask to many questions) so I'm looking for some help here. When I firm up a combo, I'll call him back. I'm just wondering if anyone runs this combo.

Dave

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I run a 240/242 608/612 112 with 205 AFR heads
I saw 487 rwhp during cool weather and 467 rwhp on a HOT HOT day
same dyno

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't believe in the reverse split cams. They can sometimes hit the top end hp numbers but they lose so much low end torque that you need a 4000 stall to make them work. and with a 6 speed, you don't have much low end. Here are 3 different packages and 2 different cams that show the results that you can get with the AFR heads. All of our cams are a traditional split cams custom ground for LGM.

one is just a cam only with LG Headers but the other 2 are AFR heads and 2 different approaches to cam shafts.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti LGM

Here is a graph from a car with our G5X-3 cam with LG headers, AFR 205s with 11.1 Compression, alum flywheel and ud pulley and ported TB.

This is a Cam Only with a G5X-3 cam and LG Pro Long Tube headers.

And this is a G5X-1E which is our emission cam that passed the sniffer test. It has AFR 205/LG Heads, Cam above, LG Headers.
See the link below with 452rwhp 428 rwtq

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/images/gallery/David Colf.JPG

·
Registered
858 Posts
L G Motorsports said:
I don't believe in the reverse split cams. They can sometimes hit the top end hp numbers but they lose so much low end torque that you need a 4000 stall to make them work. and with a 6 speed, you don't have much low end. Here are 3 different packages and 2 different cams that show the results that you can get with the AFR heads. All of our cams are a traditional split cams custom ground for LGM.

one is just a cam only with LG Headers but the other 2 are AFR heads and 2 different approaches to cam shafts.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti LGM

Here is a graph from a car with our G5X-3 cam with LG headers, AFR 205s with 11.1 Compression, alum flywheel and ud pulley and ported TB.

And this is a G5X-1E which is our emission cam that passed the sniffer test. It has AFR 205/LG Heads, Cam above, LG Headers.

I think it all depends on the characteristics of the heads you are using. The only good results I have seen going with a reverse split is with stock LS1 heads. Their flow characteristics seem to favor the reverse split.

The AFRs are great heads, so you will see substantial gains with whatever camshaft you have....To get optimal results Tony reccomends the 4 degree split. Now how much HP/TQ is involved in "optimal" I dont know. Those are great results posted by Lou with the X3, but I suspect you would only leave about 10 RWHP on the table to go with the much smaller 224/228. If I were doing an AFR setup it would be 205s 11.0:1 224/228 on 114...Great all around package that sould make 460-470 RWHP with all of the supporting boltons.

You should contact Tony Mamo, he posted a long thread about R& D on the 205s over on LS1 tech a while back, search for it, its a good read.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have the X1 as well with stock heads and love it. The idle is awesome and it makes massive power up high. Sure, the low end torque is not as good as a standard split, but who races from 2000rpm and up? I have over 400 to the wheels as well with full bolt ons. I hear that improving the intake manifold and TB will greatly increase power in the neighborhood of 440-450rwhp with this cam. I am also looking into changing the heads. I would contact MTI who you bought the cam from. They may have lots of suggestions for your X1 cam and heads setup. I was looking at their 2R heads and I think it would be a great match but I am no expert. Make sure to increase your Fuel Injectors to at least 30lbs, install a LSx 90 intake Manifold and a stock LS2 90mm TB, an Meizere water pump would be nice and you will be looking at between 480 and 500 to the wheels. This is the route I will eventually take.

Good luck, let me know what you find since it seems you are on the same road (with regard to mods) as I am.

Davidgp

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
L G Motorsports said:

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti LGM

Have you tried increasing the LSA on your G5X-3 cam to say a 115 or 116. I would like to run your -3 but would like better idle quality and something that won't jump around until you get past 1800 RPM's in gear. Would widening out the LS help with these issues without hurting performance?

D.J.

·
Registered
687 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
Have you tried increasing the LSA on your G5X-3 cam to say a 115 or 116. I would like to run your -3 but would like better idle quality and something that won't jump around until you get past 1800 RPM's in gear. Would widening out the LS help with these issues without hurting performance?

D.J.

We do our G5X-3 on a 114 all the time. we have other cams on higher lobe centers that even pass emissions

To to that link and you will see the graph for this cam on a 115.

Let us know and we can build any package or cam that you want.

thanks

Lou G

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
L G Motorsports said:
We do our G5X-3 on a 114 all the time. we have other cams on higher lobe centers that even pass emissions

To to that link and you will see the graph for this cam on a 115.

Let us know and we can build any package or cam that you want.

thanks

Lou G
Thanks Lou, That graph looks like it has strong torque figures. I am running an A4 with a 3800 Yank converter and 3.42 gears. I was interested in your -3 cam with a wider LS so my car doesn't buck around at slower speed. Right now at 55 MPH in drive you can still feel the cam. I thought if you widened out the LS that would go away and I could still have the performance the -3 cam is noted for. Just wanted to know if you have ever tried it with a wider LS.

D.J.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts