Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has had problems with a SPEC III because I have; installation was only 3 weeks ago roughly. After installation I was expecting to feel a major difference between the stock clutch in pedal pressure. Mine was never that way at all ... there was absolutely no difference. My fourth time to the track with the new clutch was last Friday and on my second pass I went to shift into second and it sounded like I missed the shift, it grinded. I pushed the clutch in attempting to engage 2nd again and it wouldn't't go into any gear. I coasted off the track ... about 45 seconds later it would go into all the gears but was slipping so badly it wouldn't't even pull the car forward. The guy I raced pulled off to help me and after talking, he got in and the car barely pulled forward in first. I drove and parked it for about an hour of so and drove it home. It was engaging; however, there was major slipping in only first . The next morning I drove it to MTI and the slipping was gone, but I was left with even less tension on the pedal than I started with. Any suggestions as to what happened to this brand new clutch? Thanks guys! :bmad: :screwy: :cry:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would say overheated hydraulics. Especially with less pedal pressure than before, and all the engagement issues. I'd flush the clutch fluid completely. I'd also wrap the lines in some heat reflective material to prevent it from happening again.

Dope

·
Registered
390 Posts
did you do the 500 mile break-in?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Dope said:
I would say overheated hydraulics. Especially with less pedal pressure than before, and all the engagement issues. I'd flush the clutch fluid completely. I'd also wrap the lines in some heat reflective material to prevent it from happening again.

Dope
I agree with Dope. The AP Racing master cylinder in the Z06 is a first-order POS. The camel condom in the master cylinder breaks down when exposed to hydraulic fluids and will eventually clog up the clutch hydraulics. I recommend the Mcleod clutch as a replacement. In the mean time, flush out the master and add new fluid...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts