Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had several pm's from folks since we returned home for the fest asking what was up with my Z during the drags. I only got in 3 passes and backed out of the first 2 early in the run.
The short answer is that when my belt tore up on Friday night while I was giving Lori a ride, a piece of belt that I didn't spot, got wedged under the radiator hose and clamp. It cause the coolant to start shooting out and when I saw it coming out of the hood cowl during my first 2 passes, I backed out of the run. With an assist from Greg (AntiVenom), we finally got the hose clamped down halfway decent and I decided to try one more run. I had no power at all on that run and thought that I had gone into the dreaded "Reduced Engine Power" mode. Turns out (after getting a call from MCRacing last night) that the blower tube had come off and I was not only getting no boost at all, but was in fact getting a reduction in my basic engine hp as well. What can I say, shit happens!

My apologies to a couple of folks who were disappointed that they didn't get to see some good passes with my Z. I was pretty upset as well, but I did enjoy getting the opportunity to see some of the other guys (like Tony, Les, Ernie, etc) make some good times with their runs.

Maybe next year...... :roll:

Mike

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Sorry to hear :eek: Maybe next year :cheers:

We would like to here some of the times of other members :z:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Mike-

I am sure non of us are as disappointed as you. That is racing...You'll get it worked out and be back.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
KCMAGS said:
Sheet happen's.... I think most of the group understands "It's the nature of the beast"
Or it's the "curse" of Beech Bend"! :eyes: :eyes:

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IT L GO said:
Sorry to hear :eek: Maybe next year :cheers:

We would like to here some of the times of other members :z:
Can't remember the exact times from most of the folks. I think Tony (Holedigger) had the best time of any of the registered fest members (11.49 I think). Z06/Les had a 11.6 pass I believe and Ernie (from BPP) had a 11.5 or something like that. There was no way that anyone was going to have exceptional runs with the heat we had. I think someone measured the pavement heat on the track and it was well over 120 degrees. Just not condusive to good track runs. Brian (Bbunting) has a real monster with his new TT setup but was extremely 'traction prohibited' without some real sticky tires. I think most of the runs were 12's and 13's. Before anyone scoffs too much at 13's, let me just say that unless you were there and felt just how hot it was on that track, you have no idea how hard it was for most of our folks to get a decent run.
Like others have mentioned in different posts, I was impressed by the hard driving skills of some of our 'ladies'. Cameo and Stephanie were doing a hell of a job out there considering the conditions. Very impressive!

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Ah geez Mike,
I am sorry to hear about the troubles again. You'll get it though!!
I should have swung the truck lights around for you on Friday night!!

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
We are not so disappointed as feeling bad for you that after so much effort(and $) by you and MC Racing that you had a bad experience again at Beech Bend. Third time is the charm you will do well next year just make sure you have a four leaf clover and a rabbits foot in your posession. :thumb: :z:

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
No apology's needed Mike. Your car was awsome. Dad said he was glad to hold the flashlight for your belt change :cheers: I am still waiting for a ride though, but am not willing to grow a pair of boobs to get one :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe next time. Really great to meet you, and can say your a class act. Take care, Don

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
tell ya what Mike

trailer your vette over to me and I will drive it for awhile,

should be back to normal by next fest:rofl:

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Holedgr ran an 11.41
Z06/Les ran an 11.69
Ernie ran an 11.55

The conditions were way to hot and humid for great times.

One of these years Mike, you will actually be able to make the great run you have been waiting for...

Mark

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
You spent more time getting ready than you got to run ! The track was slick and it was hot ! My best run out of 4 was a 12.5 at 118mph ! I spun thru 2 gears ! Mike there's always next year !

Rob :D

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
That was some tough luck for you Mike. We were all rooting for you, but certainly no apology is necessary on your part. Stuff happens.
I'm looking forward to next year :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
MikesZ06 said:
Like others have mentioned in different posts, I was impressed by the hard driving skills of some of our 'ladies'. Cameo and Stephanie were doing a hell of a job out there considering the conditions. Very impressive!

Mike
Thanks for the props Mike! Although I must say that 12.20's are not all that great for me either so don't feel bad. You shouldn't ever feel like you've disappointed anyone ... it was a blast just being there with everyone and listening to all the :mah: flying around about how crappy that track was ... IS! For me personally, it was awesome just to see your car sitting in the frickin' parking lot at the Hampton! Can I get an amen!!!! :yeadog:

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
STEFANIA said:
Thanks for the props Mike! Although I must say that 12.20's are not all that great for me either so don't feel bad. You shouldn't ever feel like you've disappointed anyone ... it was a blast just being there with everyone and listening to all the :mah: flying around about how crappy that track was ... IS! For me personally, it was awesome just to see your car sitting in the frickin' parking lot at the Hampton! Can I get an amen!!!! :yeadog:
Amen! And to hear that sweet gear whine sound! :ity:

·
Registered
224 Posts
blkZ06 said:
tell ya what Mike

trailer your vette over to me and I will drive it for awhile,

should be back to normal by next fest:rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Hey Mike
Sorry about your luck, no applogy needed, if anybody should be it is me. ChrisL drove from Texas to see me run my car and it shredded the freekin blower belt 10 minutes after getting it off the trailer... :cry: Thanks for letting me use the tools. Next year is our year :z:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Mike,

You have one bad-ass car and most of us understand how easy it is for "stuff" to happen. I wish we could have lined up, because I run my best against stiff competition - and even though you would have won (when your car is running right) you would have inspired me to even better times.

You are a class act bro - and I will pit for you any day. And thanks for your tips during the day on what you saw as I launched. It is always helpful to have an experienced drag racer tell you what they see from OUTSIDE the car!

And as far as the ladies go, they got my adrenaline going twice - once on Thursday night (looking GOOD under the arches) and again on Saturday with their shifting/driving skills. No man should take any one of them lightly, cause pound for pound they can bring it with the best of them, and better than most :jammin: :jammin: :cheers: :cheers:

Les

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If I weren't so far away I would have bolted on some DRs and drove them to the FEST.

I think 5000 miles round trip would leave me on the rims.

Pat

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
Mike,
You have no reason to apologize for your "MTI C5 never ending drag racing test mule" :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Hey bud, you got it there this year and many lucky people were rewarded with the sights and SOUNDS of the beast!! Some even got a chance take a ride!!

:eek: That's how Z06Dad looked, I have the pics to prove it and he drives a mag super!! !! If I can ever find them :blush:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts