Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corvette Club of America and the Camaro Club of Maryland is sponsoring a race day at Capital Raceway in Crofton, Maryland. Vettes, Camaros, Mustangs and Vipers have been invited.

The classes will be fast, faster and fastest. Autos will race against autos and stick will race against stick until the final race or "King/Queen of the Hill"

There will also be a Fun Show for the waxers.

There will be trophies and other awards.

Will post a flyer later.

Mike

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
MSiska,
Wish I were home to enjoy the event. Sounds like this will be pretty nice. Enjoy yourself if you go. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
What are the rules and classes, if any?

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Paul said:
What are the rules and classes, if any?

The classes will be fast, faster and fastest. Autos will race against autos and stick will race against stick until the final race or "King/Queen of the Hill"

I'm sure that you'd be welcome to rip a few Vipers!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
So, basically, anything goes? No rules? A Super Gas Vette car is fair game?

I'm just trying to understand it better before I make the commitment to go. I'd hate to show up and have tech turn me back because of non-approved power adder or tire or something else.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Hey, Mike...can you post the same information here? ... so we don't have to go "over there" :sneaky:
I'm going to try to talk the wife into going over ... I think she'll enjoy it.
Dunno if I'll run ... I'm still wary from heating my clutch last fall ... :eek:: . tho I haven't had any problems since, including the spook.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Hokay, Mike.
I'll send the flyer out to the G-Burg Club members, see if I can shake somebody out to run. :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
MSiska said:
Corvette Club of America and the Camaro Club of Maryland is sponsoring a race day at Capital Raceway in Crofton, Maryland. Vettes, Camaros, Mustangs and Vipers have been invited.

There will also be a Fun Show for the waxers.

There will be trophies and other awards.

Will post a flyer later.

Mike
Hey Mike is there going to be a rain date? It looks like rain is in the forcast
BobA

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well...it was a Fun Day!! :thumb: Lot's of Vettes (Cartek brought there fast azz C6 down from joisey), Brent was there turning 10.40's. Our own John Carter had his C5 vert "grocery-getter" there turning 10.34! :thumb: Lot's of stangs and Fbodies there also!
Our own Ranger/Steve Row/BacknBlack/DJW/Bob Anderson/couto/and lot's of Virginia guys also!
Great day despite the sprinkles! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice meeting you today MSiska :cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey All,

I've been lurking here for a bit, just doing searches, reading on topics, etc. The meet was lots of fun, although I'm still having a considerable amount of trouble launching the car. I would like to specially thank Ranger for taking the time to describe launching techniques and general drag racing knowledge (although I proved to be a poor study), in addition to demonstrating to me how to do a burn-out (incidentally, I met Ranger a couple of years back when I had a '99 Cobra - it was from him where I first heard about using Active Handling could be on the drag strip as an extra precaution).

Despite my stuggles with the car (my Cobra was so much easier to launch, even on all-season tires), it was a good deal of fun - it was great to see so many 'Vette owners out there.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Welcome to :z:, Pit Viper
Mike ...
as u know, i didn't make it. :mah:
Bummer for me ... no show ... i looze chance for practice and tootering
there were supposed to be a couple of G-Burg cars there ... dunno tho.
later...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Pit Viper, what did you run, was it the yellow viper? Were you the one with Ranger doing the burnout while the track was paused? Inquiring minds want to know :thumb:

luis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Naw, I wasn't the one with the yellow Viper - my screen name is just something random (it's an easy-to-remember name that's usually unique when I use it on Internet forums, etc.). I drive an '02 Z06 (silver). Also, I was indeed the person in the car when Ranger was using that opportune intermission to show me how to do a burnout.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Pit_Viper said:
Naw, I wasn't the one with the yellow Viper - my screen name is just something random (it's an easy-to-remember name that's usually unique when I use it on Internet forums, etc.). I drive an '02 Z06 (silver). Also, I was indeed the person in the car when Ranger was using that opportune intermission to show me how to do a burnout.

Yea, Ranger is a great driver, you'll get it, the Z06 just needs alot of practice :coo:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pit_Viper said:
Welcome to the site...very glad to have you. Saw you in Rangers Z06. And everybody should have the chance to go down the track with him. He shifts so darn fast, it's an awesome sight! :thumb:

Denny...wish you could have been there Bro. Lot of G'Burg guys showed. :yeadog:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just wanted to post a small update, and thank Ranger again for his advice. Apparently, doing a burn-out on the stock tires definitely helps traction a great deal, particularly in this cool spring weather. I went back to Capitol tonight in order to test the burnout theory (after getting a bit of practice doing burnouts). Though I definitely can tune the launch more (actually having traction in this car on the launch surprised me), I managed to run a 12.712 @ 113.42 with a 1.991 60' (not the greatest time in the world, but it certainly is nice not having a 2.2-2.4 s 60' time). Tire pressures were near stock (27 psi warm, I think, before the burnout). I didn't get any excessive wheel spin or wheel hop on the 1-2 or 2-3 upshift this time. Best trap speed of the night was 114.81 mph.

I was a bit apprehensive about trying the burnout, as I've often heard/read that burnouts are no good for street tires. I guess that is not always true...

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The F1SC's luv to get hot! :D Take your rear tire pressure down to 22 and your front to 40. You will get those short times down to 1.8X territory. :thumb:
Capital does have air tanks back behind the snack bar in a little white shed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts