Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on what is better ibetween an 03' versus 01'.

I see the 405HP badge on an 01' but I read somewhere they they are only 385HP?? What gives???

Can anyone tell me if the weight differences are the same?

I have the vin # can I look up options or anything?

thanks,
dannyg

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Here are some/most of the differences

differences between 2001 & 2002 & up:
1. The LS6 engine standard in the Z06 increased from 385 to 405 horsepower. Torque increased from 385 to 400 lb-ft.
2. Front fender badges for Z06 models included the 405 HP designation.
3. LS6 exhaust back pressure was reduced by 16%
4. Cam shaft was redesigned resulting in increased lift and a 5% increase in air flow
5. Valve spring material composition was changed to increase seat load by 14%.
6. LS6 intake and exhaust valves were a new, lighter design.
7. The valvetrain weight was reduced by 0.81 pounds, which improved valve seating at high rpm.
8.Airflow over the LS6 MAF sensor was increased by removing gridwork
9. MAF software was recalibrated
10. LS6 aircleaner housing had a larger intake
11. Wheels looked the same BUT they were cast spun instead of forged for a weight savings of 1.3 pounds per car
12. rear shock valving was changed
13. Improved clutch
14. Ticker front anti-sway bar
15. Modified steering rack to reduce the turning radius by 2 feet
16. New front brake pads
17. HUD was standard

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Chirodan said:
Just curious on what is better ibetween an 03' versus 01'.

I see the 405HP badge on an 01' but I read somewhere they they are only 385HP?? What gives???

Can anyone tell me if the weight differences are the same?

I have the vin # can I look up options or anything?

thanks,
dannyg

On '01s They should have a badge on the side that say z06, on '02s and up they have the z06 but in small print underneath say 405hp, Maybe that was a '01 but someone switched the badges for some reason, maybe an accident and when replacing badges somehow the 405hp ones got on there because like everyone else said, the '01 z06s are the only with 385hp :jammin:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what I was worried about.... I have a vin, where can I look it up???

1G1YY12S415107498

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Chirodan said:
thats what I was worried about.... I have a vin, where can I look it up???

1G1YY12S415107498

Thanks guys...
The vin number indicates that it's a 2001. Call or go, is even better to you local GM dealer and they will lookup the service History. :cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
my 01 will flat run

As far as differences in performance, there not even worth noting. As one of the previous post listed, there were some changes made between 01-02. If you drove a stock 01 vs. a stock 02 of equal care, you could not tell a difference. They are all FAST!! I bought an 01 last year and love it. :thumb: I was able to use the money I saved to buy some nice mods-Borla exhaust, cold air intake, throttle body, etc. Nice mods will make the 20HP difference disappear plus you can have better sounding exhaust. Buy a car that is well taken care of and has a clean history. I would buy from a private owner. As far as the badges, some people have put them on the 01's just to get the Z06 405HP logo it even though stock the 01 has 385HP. I like the fact that the 01 is different from the 02-04. It was the first year for Chevy to bring back the Z06 and they made fewer models. You will find the oil consumption issue brought up on this site. Not all of the 01's had this problem-mine did not. It was mostly in the early produced 01's. Mine was made in 05/01. In fact, depending on how hard you drive a Z, all models could use some oil between changes. Bottom line, find a car you like and have good info about. Regardless you will love the Z.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Chirodan said:

No 2001 has 405hp badges. If it does then either it's not a 2001 or it's a 405hp poser.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yeah, the 01 badge should just be "Z06" on both fenders. Frankly, I am glad that they didn't put horse power on the 2001s. I know my 01 has a wee bit more than 405 hp, and I wouldn't want to be misleading anyone.

I would not consider all of the differences listed above to be improvements. For instance, the 01 forged wheels are much stronger than the cast wheels of the later years and 20 ounces is not as significant as the strength. Also, the change in the MAF software in the later models creates problems for most folks that add cold air systems. Thus requiring a tune to eliminate surging.

The bulk of the 20 crank hp is gained from a much bigger hole in the stock air box, elimination of the pre-cats and a change in the exhaust. So, if you are going to do some modding like CAI system, long tube headers and cat back exhaust there will be very little difference in the horse power between all model years.

Don

Resist said:
No 2001 has 405hp badges. If it does then either it's not a 2001 or it's a 405hp poser.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts