Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've had a chance to drive the Zee alittle more, and hear a few noises that seem strange. Just want to see if other Zee owners hear these too.

#1) A pretty loud rattle when the engine is shut down -- but ONLY when the tranny is in neutral. I think I read this is somewhat 'normal'?

#2) Kind of the same noise as #1), except it's not as loud -- you have to listen with the driver's door open. Conditions: engine is running, tranny is in nuetral. Rev the engine up and down between ~2000 RPMs and idle. Upon initial engine acceleration, you can hear a slight rattle. I know its probably caused by the same thing that's causeing #1) because if you put in the clutch (doesn't even have to be in gear), the sound goes away under the same reving conditions.

Does anyone know why these noises happen. I think I read that GM says "its due to the clutch design" or something, but WHY does it make the noise under these conditions (where's the GM engineer :D).

#3) If you have the drive's door open, and again rev the engine between idle and 2000 RPMs, it seems like there is this faint 'whisle' sound from the exhaust as the engine comes back down to idle. The slight wistle is not apparent as the engine revs up -- ONLY when the throttle is closed, and the engine revs are coming back down. On the road it's not noticable. Anyone else notice this :-?. Open your driver's door, and stick your foot into the car and rev the engine while your standing outside the car. Take a listen and see if you can hear this strange noise. Hopefully, it's just a characteristic of the exhaust/muffler design :D.

Next time you drive your Zee, listen closely for these noises and please report back. I'm sure others would like to know if these are 'normal' or not.

Thanks,
:cheers:

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
These have been hashed a few times. All normal!

Marbles in a can we call it.......

The whistle will change tone when you put the Halltech on :)

JC

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Drive it above 4500 rpm, only sweet sounds then, at idle everything you said appears...................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Been there, heard that :D

All normal :)

If you get a chance, go listen to a race car tranny - it'll sound familiar!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Zee, Now don't you feel better:guiness: :cheers:

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!:D :D

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Wait till you hear the slight clicking at light load in 2-3rd gear, that one will drive you crazy for a couple days too :)

Or the slight whine of the tranny at full throttle when approaching redline in 2nd and 3rd.....like a symphony of horsepower :)

JC

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS GUYS!! :D -- I DO feel better now! Hey, as long as its just characteristic Zee noises its no sweat. Just wanted to make sure nothing was busted :D

:z: :cheers:

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
The date of this thread?

The noises seem normal for the C5 in general.

What is not normal is the date of this thread. My computer thinks that today is September 6, 2001. The thread date is tomorrow? Do you guys know todays winning PA lottery numbers, since you seem to be ahead of me? Am I crazy? Please help!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
#1 & #2 are due to the driveline setup on the C5, engine in front, trans in back. They even address it in the video tape.

#3 I haven't noticed.

I have also noticed more valve train noise when running cold, but once the engine is warm it quiets down.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
ZeeOhSix --

Yeah, I reckon these noises are all normal. Now, I have a whistle @ 2000-2500 RPMs, and it's pretty evident. I was just wondering what it's FROM, and not so much if it's normal ('cause it DOES appear to be common). Strange stuff!

As for your tranny rattle concern, I've learned (from Carl V) that you can ELIMINATE that noise when turning the car off by depressing the clutch while turning the car off. It works! :)

-Kirk

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Kirk, how many beers does it take to get the whistle. ;) It is probably your intake sucking air making the whistling noise, or it's the beer. :eek:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
hcvone said:
Kirk, how many beers does it take to get the whistle. ;) It is probably your intake sucking air making the whistling noise, or it's the beer. :eek:
I'm thinking it's going to take some beers to make it GO AWAY! :roll: :D

It's not the intake (I don't think -- that is, I can't see how it could be, but you never know). It only happens in a certain RPM range. It's strange, too -- sounds like a squeeling brake (faint, though). Oh well. :)

-Kirk

PS -- Carl, what's the latest ETA on your car?

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you get a Halltech, you'll hear a slightly louder whistle as it sucks in air........first time I heard it I thought WTF. But it to is normal.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KMeloney -- I agree that the whistle noise you are refering to is just the air going past a slightly opened intake butterfly valve. If it only does this at a very specific RPM, then its just the charicteristid of the intake system. I remember some 01 LS1 cars (which BTW had the Z intake manifold on them) had a really bad whistle noise, but I'm talking very loud. This was because some of the intakes had a little depression in them somewhere that caused the noise. Apparently, GM took care of that later in the 01 model year. I don't think you have a bad one, its just the way they are. I can hear a slight whistle on mine when I first start the engine and its idling. But never hear anything from it while driving.

I noticed that the exhaust whistle seems to be slightly dependant on how hot the exhaust system is. Seems like the sight whistle is less if the exhaust system is hotter -- as in after driving alittle more spirited :D.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
No unusual noises here, but my wife always says I can't hear anything anymore! :D

Zippy :) :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts