Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
E'town for this Friday? Weather looks good, and I'm thinking it shouldn't be to bad, since many of the "younger" set will be headed to the shore.

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Don, everyone is going to Island this Friday, didn't you hear... :lol:
Oh, by the way, I consider myself everyone.

Pick a date for Maple Grove I haven't been there in a year.
See you at the CC in June....

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
from what I've heard you get a solid 8-12 runs at island vs. 3 at E-town....so i'm pretty much done with E-town for weekly fun, save the special events. I have some full bottles I need to empty, might run the truck down to island if the weather ain't bad. I was thinkin of hittin the hamptons (since I'm a member of the younger set or some crap like that at 25) but the weather sucks....but that also makes me worry bout the track too, I hate the feeling of pulling into the gates, going through tech, getting the jack out to throw some slicks on and the heavens open up....I've had it happen all too many times in the past.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
You are correct, you get many more runs at Island, but you have to take the good with the bad. Etown is a much nicer, the track is better prepared and there are less pieces of junk there. I've never been to Etown on a Friday night but Island is full of ricers and high school kids who will race any grocery getter their parents let them drive.
I'd say for fun/practice, and lots of passes go to Island, but if you want to run good ET's, Etown is much better. Even lately at Island, its been crowded and 8 passes may be tough to make. Last year I made 23 one night, yep 23.
My best time at Etown is 11.51, at Island its only 11.80. If I didn't live so close to Island I have to admit, I'd rarely go there but since it take less than half the time to get there, I go often. Also, Island has a cheap snack bar, Etown has $6 hot dogs. Island lets you drive around and back up into the water box, Etown does not. The people at Etown are better, and the cars are more fun to watch. We rarely watch any cars at Island.
Pick your poison. :sneaky:
One day I'll get Don there, one day....

Now back to Don's question, who will be at Etown tomorrow (Friday) night???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
I'm headin down to island this evenin......with the truck though, any of my Z brothers gonna be there for me to look out for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
undertaker said:
I'm headin down to island this evenin......with the truck though, any of my Z brothers gonna be there for me to look out for?
Steve,

Sorry to say, but E'town is about 35 minutes away for me, though it is beginning to cloud up around here. The prediction is for thuderstorms late afternoon/early evening, which may put a damper on my going (not fun driving in the rain on ET streets :NoNo: ).

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
well i went, and the truck ran like absolute crap. I had two full bottles and it was slower on the bottle than NA and popping like a sonofabiatch....I think I need more fuel pump (had a larger one in last year when i hit the 13.3).....was banging out consistent 14.5-14.6's at 95-96 mph, but the truck has more in it. I rushed out the door and forgot my laptop to play with the shiftpoints (I have it shifting very low at 5000 rpms, when it probably wants to get up to 5500 according to the dyno yesterday (was still pulling like a monster at 5000 rpms when it hit 410 at the wheels) I can't complain though, I kicked a buddy's ass with a 89 mustang LX with heads/cam/intake/cold air/headers/4.10's and a new tranny/clutch. Of course he was on street tires so I made it fair and ran on a/t tires on teh stock rims (not even my 18x10's or the super mean et streets, besides i wanted a challenge and to see what it could do in street trim) I have to say I only got there about 7:30 and there were quite a few cars that broke and sprayed the track down and shut it down for a while and I got a solid 6-7 runs in. I didn't mind the 2+ hour drive through traffic because I actually got to get some runs in to test crap out vs. 3 runs an hour apart if I'm lucky at E-town.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Don Benson said:
(not fun driving in the rain on ET streets :NoNo: ).

Don
Driving on ET streets is an adventure in teh rain. My truck wasn't bad at all.......the Z, well I was very nervous. My 55 has old vintage 'cheater' slicks on it, pretty much the equivalent from teh 60's and it wasn't too bad, but it does have the factory open rear in it with a M22 so its not too terrible, but the Z was all over the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Hey Don, hope the weather was better down there then it was up at Island...While it was sunny and beautiful, ALL cars were running slow, I'm guessing humidity? I met the undertaker, although it wasn't until the track was closing , so we couldn't really talk too much. My best pass was a crappy 12.01 @ 117...Quite a drop from my 11.51 @ 120. :(

Hope you had better luck than us... :coo:

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Z06-Dave said:
Hey Don, hope the weather was better down there then it was up at Island...While it was sunny and beautiful, ALL cars were running slow, I'm guessing humidity? I met the undertaker, although it wasn't until the track was closing , so we couldn't really talk too much. My best pass was a crappy 12.01 @ 117...Quite a drop from my 11.51 @ 120. :(

Hope you had better luck than us... :coo:

Dave
Dave,

I made the right decision by not going to E'town last night. Some guys posted over at the CF site that they went last night and the skies opened up right after 7:00 pm, leaving about an 1-2" of rain in about 20-30 minutes.

I've got my car packed and I'm just ready to head over to E'town this morning for some time trials. Wish me luck.

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
undertaker said:
Driving on ET streets is an adventure in teh rain. My truck wasn't bad at all.......the Z, well I was very nervous. My 55 has old vintage 'cheater' slicks on it, pretty much the equivalent from teh 60's and it wasn't too bad, but it does have the factory open rear in it with a M22 so its not too terrible, but the Z was all over the road.
Steve, do you tow the truck with the Z!:D Hope to see you guys at the track soon. We should plan a day where we all meet at Etown!I bet we can scrounge up 10 cars and get some grub afterwards.
Don, good luck bro! I've been so swamped, I'll give you a buzz. You know if you don't go, Ronnie will be on your Azz. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Do either of you guys run the ET Streets with the factory front tires? That is my planned setup, is it dangerous?
I think Dr. Ron does, but I'm not sure.
I'd rather just swap the ET's for the drive to the track rather than going with the DR's 100% of the time, they wear out too damn fast.

Good luck Don! Make sure you represent us well :thumb:

Last night I did not. :eek2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
Z06-Dave said:
Do either of you guys run the ET Streets with the factory front tires? That is my planned setup, is it dangerous?
I think Dr. Ron does, but I'm not sure.
I'd rather just swap the ET's for the drive to the track rather than going with the DR's 100% of the time, they wear out too damn fast.

Good luck Don! Make sure you represent us well :thumb:

Last night I did not. :eek2:
Dave, if you run the 17" et streets your okay with factory tires up front. When you goto the 16"ers then your steering. It could be done. My buddy Jay has been running that way but he is also a very experienced driver and he doesn't air down quite as low as I do.(10psi).
Don hope you had fun and beat the deluge that just passed thru here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,050 Posts
Z06-Dave said:
Do either of you guys run the ET Streets with the factory front tires? That is my planned setup, is it dangerous?
I think Dr. Ron does, but I'm not sure.
I'd rather just swap the ET's for the drive to the track rather than going with the DR's 100% of the time, they wear out too damn fast.

Good luck Don! Make sure you represent us well :thumb:

Last night I did not. :eek2:
Yes, I run 17"ET Streets w/ stockers up front. Absolutely no problems at the top end! (knocking wood)
I now bring the slicks & change @ the track....I'd just rather drive on street tires to & from the track.
Ron
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top