• Yes I'm tinting my car window

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • No, I'm not.

Votes: 29 44.6%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I will have it done this spring. The other thing I like to do is about a 6" band at the top of the windsheild. Helps keep the sun out of your eyes, and darkens up the rest of the windows. :cool:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's interesting to find out as of Sunday, 6.00 PM PST, 80% (4 out of 5) vettes have their windows tinted. I've never realized that. Most Vettes that I saw on the street has clear windows. But I guess they're not Z06s :)

Tambeng

·
Registered
420 Posts
I got mine tinted legal tint on the sides and back. I love it and they did a GREAT job. It looks totally factory.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Don't like making Cops nervous.:eek:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a special brand for the film? If yes, anybody knows which on is the best?

Thanks,
Tambeng

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I usually like to roll down the window and keep my hands on the steering wheel, if I get pulled over. Knock on wood, it has not happened in a while.

sigung86 said:
Don't like making Cops nervous.:eek:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
The window tint installed in my cars is made by Madico.
"Madico 's solar contol window film, the original energy control film." I have had 6 cars done with this, it doesn't scratch or peel, and keeps the sun out(besides looking good).

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm not a fan of limo tint or anything insane like that, but my 35% is very nice. It's not "ghetto" looking but definately helps with the black leather.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I haven't found a company in N. Dallas that does a job that meets my satisfaction, especially when it comes to the rear window around the dots and defogger.

Plus I like for others to see the grin on my face when they stare at my car! Just today a guy in a somewhat modded Mustang GT pulled up to me a stoplight, looked the car front to rear and shook his head is awe! After gawking at the Z he looks right at me......I'm doing this number :D !

Good feeling!

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Good point JNATION. The back window. The area with the dots is a problem. One of the reasons I didn't do mine this year. Bothered me for a while in one of my other cars, but after a while, I didn't even notice the difference. To the guys who have had theirs done, how did the rear windows come out?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Going to do it

JN,
try Earmark Car & Stereo in Plano......NICE shop.......quoted me $210.00, for my Z, and was THE best film available............

Mine being Blk/Blk........this is/will be a must as far as I am concerned...........
First, Texas, and second.........tint on Black...is double barrel:cool:

A NOTE to the wise..................

Wait for a while BEFORE you tint........cycle your windows up & down several dozen times......the drivers side( front upper portion) usually develops a scratch.........there is metal to metal contact there......and the window will need to be replaced.........and you don't want to have to PAY twice for it........

Those of you who HAVE had your cars for a while look CLOSE..........it may already be there..........

Mine is, and it's only 75 days old..............

This is ANOTHER "Common", Vette problem..................:roll:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I just had mine done yesterday by the guy that did Darth Vetter's windows. I went a little lighter than Darth - just to be legal.

Right now, I am hoping it will look good. The guy didn't clean the inside of the glass real well, so I don't want to mess with it till it is dry.

As for the back window, he had an ultra fine sandpaper that he used with a lot of water - he said much like a wet sanding job. It looks good now. I will be keeping a close eye on it and will post pictures at the end of the week when I get a chance to clean them up and get outside to do pictures.

chris

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I've never seen tinting that didn't look cheesy after a year or so. Besides, my windows have a factory tint.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The dark smoke tinting looks cheap to me too, but, other films look great and expensive. I rather be hidden behind the tinting so I don't have to deal with every kid that drives by. Let's keep this Z06 thing in check... they just "look" expensive. At Performance/$50K they are cheap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Had my 01 Black/Mod Red tinted in August with 5% on back window and 35% on the side windows. The installer told me that the 5% was 1.5 mil thick vs 1 mil for the other %'s and that this would make it a little more difficult for the film to form around the dots and seat on the back glass but assured me it would turn out to my satisfaction without having the dots sanded down. I took it back after a week and he adjusted two roughly 1/2" to 5/8" long x 1/16" wide areas (one on each side) that did not initially seat in the dot area on the back window. No problems or complaints on the tinting since then and at a minimum it matches the quality of the tinting on the back window of my 93 Trans Am.

I think it turned out great and I believe it cost me $270 and took the installer about 3.5 hours to install. It was quite fascinating to see this being done having never seen tinting installed before.

I'm also happy with the improvements provided by the tinting in cutting down some of the brightness from SUV's, Pickup's, and other Four-Wheel Drive vehicle headlights that set up higher plus cutting down on the interior sunlight during the day.

Thanks!
Paul

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
jnation said:
I haven't found a company in N. Dallas that does a job that meets my satisfaction, especially when it comes to the rear window around the dots and defogger.

Plus I like for others to see the grin on my face when they stare at my car! Just today a guy in a somewhat modded Mustang GT pulled up to me a stoplight, looked the car front to rear and shook his head is awe! After gawking at the Z he looks right at me......I'm doing this number :D !

Good feeling!
I know what you mean. I heard of a mustang dyno day at a local speed shop and decided to go....there nothing like having a Z in a crowd of mustangs. I definately had an audience.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts