Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little miffed by the $65k base price of the new Z. By the time you get out the door, you are flirting VERY closely with a new Viper. You also have to remember the boys across town who will be rolling out a $40k 450+ hp pony car next year. When you factor in that the C6Z06 and C6 coupe are about as distinguishable as the Coors Light twins, I see a losing combination.

Sure, the performance is there. It's a great performer, but when you climb into the $70k stratosphere, performance alone won't get it done. There will be a contingent of Corvette faithful that will happily take delivery of the best Vette yet, but will this car flop on the open market?

I would like to say that I like this car a lot. I think that it has in incredible amount of performance, but I don't think that it will be the sales success that the C5Z06 was. What do you think?

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I tend to agree with you, it will not sell as well as the C5 Zee.

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
8 SNAKE said:
...rolling out a $40k 450+ hp pony car...
True, but do the markets really overlap that much? That $40K pony car might be a terror in a straight line (even moreso with some light mods), but there's a lot more to life than driving in a straight line.

Maybe there's a little overlap, but mostly they seem like separate markets to me. One's a respectable muscle car, and the other a true sports car - the complete package: going, stopping, turning, handling dynamic transitions well, and so forth.

But I agree that the C6Z will probably sell less than the C5Z did, just coz of the price. Maybe that means I could pick one up a few years hence for $6-8K under :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
novetteyet said:
But I agree that the C6Z will probably sell less than the C5Z did, just coz of the price. Maybe that means I could pick one up a few years hence for $6-8K under :D
Well I'm not too sure how much they will be discounting these things, esp since we do not know the invoice price yet. Also, remember that they didn't start to discount the Z06 heavily until 2003 MY. And at 70K+ Tax, its almost 20 grand more than the last one -- so I don't think they will sell 8,000 a year - I'd wager 4,000.

--S

·
Registered
338 Posts
I feel they will sell everyone that they can make. It is a bargain. That on top of this - if you had a brand new Viper and a brand new ragtop C6 and said I could have the one that I would enjoy driving the most...........for me, I take the Corvette. It is all around fun to drive and overall has the best performance when you factor in it all - fun, mpg, comfort, cornering, etc.

So when they came out with a Z06 that can do so much and outrun a Viper, pick the method, any method - for less money. Its a no-brainer - Corvette Z06 in my garage! Keeping the 01 in my sig and adding this one. Best of both, far as I am concerned! Bring it on, I am more than ready, ranting and raving and waiting! :usa:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
600hpIsntEnough said:
The people will buy IMO. Im waiting till 07 or later....Rob.
:yeadog: We think alike. ;)

Alex :z:

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Vipers are not selling too fast.......... I also think the C6Z06 is a terrific car, but I like the FRC look of the C5Zs. At least grand ma can tell the difference between the C5 styles verses the C6s.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sanford said:
Vipers are not selling too fast.......... I also think the C6Z06 is a terrific car, but I like the FRC look of the C5Zs. At least grand ma can tell the difference between the C5 styles verses the C6s.
Grand ma could not tell the diff when meeting one on the interstate! She was with me, I tested her on it! Still waiting for the opportunity to test her on the new Z06 on the I! :yeadog:

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Zippy and Norm are the only two that I know on this forum that are buying. How sad is that? Selling 2 cars isn't going to help GM's troubles. My answer is no, it's not going to sell.

·
Registered
576 Posts
proexpert said:
Zippy and Norm are the only two that I know on this forum that are buying. How sad is that? Selling 2 cars isn't going to help GM's troubles. My answer is no, it's not going to sell.
I am buying and I was asked by email yesterday what my option and color preferences. I have been on the list for 18 months now and way before any of us knew specs. I now know I have moved from #8 to #4 on the list. Now it is just a matter of exactly when.

GOLD72 :D

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
GOLD72 said:
I am buying and I was asked by email yesterday what my option and color preferences. I have been on the list for 18 months now and way before any of us knew specs. I now know I have moved from #8 to #4 on the list. Now it is just a matter of exactly when.

GOLD72 :D
I'm buying but it looks like at number 174 it will be a long time. Now that presents another problems, Can I wait? :blush:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am just a little concerned with 1st year syndrum, I am waiting for one year and getting a new Z or if my worries about 1st year issues are found to be wrong then possibly a "lightly used"...plus i just don't want to be the "beta tester" for GM or my friendly speedshop (mods). After one year should have a pretty good handle on choice of mods, dependability, what stuff breaks under stress (clutch, half shaft, etc), LS7-edit tuning capability....my pipe dream is one year, several improvements on 07 model and negotiate price below MSRP....my nightmare, see a couple of them on the road and no ability to resist manly urges allowing a saleperson to hose me publically.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A good idicator of sales will be how quickly/how much people on lists like Sanford's move up. I see some evidence already. I think the car will not sell well and I'm very dissappointed in the price. If it doesn't sell well, GM would be admitting a ZR-1 mistake by dropping the price. About all they can do now, is throw in some extras next year and hold the price steady. If the price was announced lower, they could have raised it. I think once again a GM mangement blunder limited their options.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
8 SNAKE said:
I'm a little miffed by the $65k base price of the new Z. By the time you get out the door, you are flirting VERY closely with a new Viper. You also have to remember the boys across town who will be rolling out a $40k 450+ hp pony car next year. When you factor in that the C6Z06 and C6 coupe are about as distinguishable as the Coors Light twins, I see a losing combination.

Sure, the performance is there. It's a great performer, but when you climb into the $70k stratosphere, performance alone won't get it done. There will be a contingent of Corvette faithful that will happily take delivery of the best Vette yet, but will this car flop on the open market?

I would like to say that I like this car a lot. I think that it has in incredible amount of performance, but I don't think that it will be the sales success that the C5Z06 was. What do you think?
Sure it's a great and awesome car and the +25 percent or so price increase is somewhat "reasonable". And while Perfomance is there for sure,The Beauty is just not for most. I do not see C5 kinda sales cause of this.... however maybe the General will bring some plactic surgeons and give this Girl some eye pleasing curves :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think the price is a little hefty too. With my likely trade-in difference of around 25-30K, I'll be keeping my C5Z for a while. It's interesting to see so many more threads about modding the C5Z to get up to the 500hp - I'm thinking along those lines myself. H/C/CAI/Headers for a whole lot cheaper, and you get to keep the notchback look - which to me is a lot better looking. Cheers to you guys that can afford it, I can't wait to hear about it from you. Drew

·
Registered
853 Posts
I think a lot of the problem is we will get killed on resale on our current Z....I would have got an 06, i have one on order,have not let the dealer know my change of heart yet, :) but i will not give my modded 01 away.....The new 06Z will be a remarkable supercar, and a bargin at that.......

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
proexpert said:
I agree.

I waited for the Grandma factor and it didn't register when I saw the new Z, so I went and bought a viper this wk :rofl:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
blkZ06 said:
I agree.

I waited for the Grandma factor and it didn't register when I saw the new Z, so I went and bought a viper this wk :rofl:
So how is that sapphire/cognac beauty? :D Inquiring minds would like to know! :yeadog:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have my order in around #190.....Red 2LZ,polished,NAV....

As for problems selling them, everyone slated for production is already sold.

I don't understand why people think the new mustang is just as good as the vette. Yes it's a nice car. But when I'm out in my Z06, every high school kid in town is driving a mustang and wants to race even if it's not a V8. Some are 6 cylinders. How would you like to own a 450 hp mustang and have some kid pull up to you at the light who put body parts and stickers on his 6 cylinder to make it look like the one you just paid 40k+ for?

If I'm going to spend that kind of money, call it vanity, but I don't want to be confused with some highschooler out on a joy ride in his 20k car with 3 of his friends in that four seater.

A friend of mine bought the 390 horse mustang cobra new not too long ago and was real brave until the old vette smoked him.

Saw him at the gym a few months after he had bought it and he was having all sorts of problems with it. I'm not talking the power windows either. These were serious drive train problems. Rear end/engine.

To me a sportscar is not a 4 seater.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts