Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced the motor, transmission, wiper stalk and replaced the fuse at the footwell.
My wipers will not turn off in the off position, they do a sort of quarter up and quarter down rotation over and over again. The udders were absent when I replaced the motor that had already been replaced.
If anybody has been through this, please let me know where I should look next. Connections? Can they Be replaced? Any ideas?
I need my wipers! The car is in south Florida and rain x is not an option. Thanks for any help in advance,

KS.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I have replaced the motor, transmission, wiper stalk and replaced the fuse at the footwell.
My wipers will not turn off in the off position, they do a sort of quarter up and quarter down rotation over and over again. The udders were absent when I replaced the motor that had already been replaced.
If anybody has been through this, please let me know where I should look next. Connections? Can they Be replaced? Any ideas?
I need my wipers! The car is in south Florida and rain x is not an option. Thanks for any help in advance,

KS.
I had this problem about 7 or 8 years ago and below is what I found. This was not my write up and I apologize for not giving credit to the original poster because I don't remember what site I pulled it off.

The reason why the wipers are stopping on the windshield when you turn them off (as well as pausing at the top of the sweep cycle during the hesitate mode), is because your wiper mechanism is out of whack. Look at the pictures below.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Gas Auto part

When correctly setup, your mechanism should look as it does in the picture below. Pay no attention to the red circles. Notice the location of the recess. This is very important! Also, notice that the parking pawl is up against the park stop. This is very important also!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Automotive exterior

Let's Calibrate That Configuration

Turn on your key (do not start the motor) and turn your wipers on low (not hesitate, low). Watch the operation of the circular device (it is part of the crank arm so it has no name). It will move in a clockwise direction. Have someone turn the wipers off. At this point, one of two things will happen. It will move momentarily in a clockwise direction but then, move in a counter-clockwise direction. The instant that it begins to move in the counter-clockwise direction, the parking pawl should hit the park stop. Once the parking pawl hits the park stop, the park pin should be released by the recess and and remain in the squared notched area. The recess on the circular device should end up somewhere in the 5 o'clock position.

If your park pin is not being released, it is most likely that the park stop has been bent and the parking pawl is not hitting it. If you straighten the park stop up, this may resolve your issue. If not, you need to calibrate that circular thing.

To do that, turn the key on (do not start the car). Make sure that the wipers are turned OFF! This is the dangerous part so pay strict attention. Take a flat head screw driver and manually push the recess in a counter-clockwise direction until you get it as close to looking just like the above picture. You may have to use a second screwdriver to get the park pin out of the recess so that you can turn the circular thing. If you push the recess too far, the wipers will cycle. Thus, be prepared to get out the way! Even though the wipers are turned off, they will still cycle if you push the recess too far. Your objective is to push the recess to the point just before it cycles again. This will be the park position for the wipers.

If your parking paw is damaged and will not catch, then you're going to need new transmission arms. If your park stop is broken, you can buy another bracket that contains the park stop. It is called the windshield wiper transmission support bracket. I highly doubt that yours will ever break. That parking pawl is another story, especially if you're not careful. You'll see once you get to working on this fix.

For those of you with the wipers stopping in the wrong area, you're done once you get everything calibrated. Folks replacing their motor need to proceed to step 9.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts