Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all you ATI folks. What set up did you go with, or recommend for a fresh install? My thoughts are, affordability is the P1SC. However, if I choose to go forged later on down the road, If I got the D1 now, I would be one step ahead of the game. Last night while in Tucson, I saw a full blown TT set up and although it was killer....I am thinking in this town, should anything go wrong...I am DOOMED! Getting a oil change done right is a challenge, let alone someone needing to rip into your set up. So, I think the best avenue of approach is an ATI set up because I don't want to replace my hood with a Magnusson. So, P1 or D1? Please add in all your stats on gains over what you had. I am leaning towards D1 for flexibility and growth opportunity. I believe a larger pulley will be in order to lower boost to be safe. Are you happy with your set up or would you have gone another route.....Comments? Suggestions? Thanks- :cheers:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm very curious myself. What's everyone's opinion/choice on this?

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on folks..... :-? 50,000 members and only one response? I know there are many threads but they are so out on a limb between each supercharger. So, I narrowed it down between tww, from the same maker (ATI), but a little more elabortaion on the selection they made is in need. Help us out. Inquiring minds need to know. Thanks all.....

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It all depends on what your long term goals are. If your plannig on big #s with forged internals , you've anwsered your own question...D1. I would look closely at either A&A or ECS for their single intercooler kits. Both of these units have proven to make great #s. ATI has improved their kits, but I'm not sure what they have done.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I went down that road and if a forged bottom end is in your future and you want the most power then go with D1. The P1 is great even with a forged bottom end. I'm making around 590 to the ground with a conservative setup. On the stock motor if you don't want to send her to the grave then find the right combo of tune and pulley to keep you around 500rwhp. It is plenty of power and will keep a smile on your face all day long. I think this power level will keep you safe. I went to 565 on my stock setup and she went. Wasn't a fun experience. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I had one of ATI first Z06 blower kits with the P1 and have recently updated to the single intercooler kit...I am cautiously running around 550-575 rwhp, and absolutely loving it...If you want to stay around 525 rwhp, the P1 will be perfect...And ecs and a&a would be the best choices, depending on where you live..You wont regret it! :cool:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Contact Andy at A&A and get his recommendation :cheers:
I vote for the P1SC

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
My suggestion is the D1-SC, but not just because of future mods.
In watching many dyno runs of Vette's (both P1 and D1), the torque and power curve on the D1 is considerably less 'peaky'. By that I mean that the D1 makes more power under the curve than the P1.

Don't know if the new bracket/tensioner and intercoolers are part of the ATI package yet, but I can tell you from personal experience, they are far better than anything I have seen from Procharger or aftermarket vendors in the past.

Mike

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Well i was thinking about this as well and when i spoke with Chris @ ECS they have a custom kit they use for their install and the heart of the kit is the D1. They dont even do the P1. With their kit you should get around 525 +/- RWHP with heads and exhaust with about 5lbs of boost.

A friend of mine just got the P1 installed and the car is getting dyno tuned now at Tony's Shop in VA. He got headers, Call Away Exhaust and the P1SC and with 5lbs of boost he should be in around 500 RWHP mark and that is all that is you should do unless you go with forged internals and that is another 10k+ :)

so at or around 5lbs of boost both produce same amount of power unless you want more then boost goes up and so does the price.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just bought the A&A P1 kit for my stock internal Z06. I have LG headers and a blower cam. I'm planning on running a safe 5-7 lbs of boost with no plans to forge unless something blows up. Andy seems to always prefer the P1 over the D1 for stock internal engines. I don't have any experience, but I have heard people say the P1 is more responsive.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now this is good information! Thanks to all of you who responded. We appreciate your input. The way I am thinking is long term. if I stick with P1, I may be limited. With D1, I can go beyond 5-7 PSI with forged internals. Right now, I can do either P1 or D1. Later, I am thinking heads and a blower cam OR forged internals SECOND then the heads and blower cam. If I ha dthe bucks, I would do forged internals along with heads and cam. But that's down the road a bit. Thanks for all the info. Sounds like P1 buyers are happy. Sounds like D1 is good too! Keep the responses coming in. The more real world users respond to theur set up and numbers, performance, etc is better. Thanks-

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Been happy with my A&A P1SC setup. Really the issue is your intended use of the car. Once you've setup goals, then you can proceed in a more controlled way, and not end up double working part of the buildout.
If I had been smarter, I'd of built the bottom before I built the top of the motor. So far no problems, but buy end of the year this year, its back to A&A for a forged short block, and a few other goodies.
Can't say this strongly enough, "know what you want before you start".

Good Luck with your build out
Zrod

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rob1Vet said:
I say the D!SC !

Can you tell from my sig :rofl:

Rob
What else do you have, and since you are very satisfied...Who did the install? Are you forged? Or, just D1SC with stock Z internals? Keep in mind, i am NOT ZO6, I am stock 200 FRC. I have to keep boost to a minimum, for now....Later on, I will open the gates of hell.....On another note, why is it that UPS make syou sit and wait all friggen day for a package that is not coming until AFTER 5 pm? At this rate, it will be 6 pm.......Already 5:47 pm and STILL no package delivered. And I have to get back to work! Soon as I leave, WATCH......The BIG BROWN TRUCK PULLS UP and will have to reschedule another day to delivere because I wasn't here. UGH! Should have went with FED EX!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same questions as everybody here. I would highly recommend that you talk (email or phone) with the person that you want to get the blower from. This person is an expert in the field at modifying Z's.

I do know that Andy got 600 RWHP on the last Z he did with a P1SC. And as was mentioned, he always recommends a P1SC even for a later forged engine. ECS only does D1SC's, don't know why. I'm sure that they both have their reasons. Just pick a vendor that you trust, and take their advice. Remember they are the true professionals.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
GR8 WHITE said:
What else do you have, and since you are very satisfied...Who did the install? Are you forged? Or, just D1SC with stock Z internals? Keep in mind, i am NOT ZO6, I am stock 200 FRC. I have to keep boost to a minimum, for now....Later on, I will open the gates of hell.....On another note, why is it that UPS make syou sit and wait all friggen day for a package that is not coming until AFTER 5 pm? At this rate, it will be 6 pm.......Already 5:47 pm and STILL no package delivered. And I have to get back to work! Soon as I leave, WATCH......The BIG BROWN TRUCK PULLS UP and will have to reschedule another day to delivere because I wasn't here. UGH! Should have went with FED EX!
ECS did my install ! I have not forged yet and have had no problems ! I realize at one point I'll have to forge ! I have Supermaxx headers with cats and also installed a DTE strut brace and a dual exedy clutch ! the engine was overpowering the clutch !

Rob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rob1Vet said:
ECS did my install ! I have not forged yet and have had no problems ! I realize at one point I'll have to forge ! I have Supermaxx headers with cats and also installed a DTE strut brace and a dual exedy clutch ! the engine was overpowering the clutch !

Rob
Rob, how long ago did ECS do your install and how many miles do you have on FI now?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey guys, I figured I would throw in some of my opinions. We almost always use the D1SC over the P1. The main reason is we can always make the power at 6,000 rpms or lower with the D1. On the LS6 engine we use a 5" head unit pully and get about 6-8 lbs of boost. Most Z06's we run to 5,800-6,000 rpms and make 540-560 rwhp on bone stock Z's. Add a set of headers and we are 575-600 rwhp at 6,000 rpms or less. Using the D1 we can make a bit more power earlier in the rpm range. I would rather make more power earlier and not have to spin the engine up as high. We also use a larger pully which slows down the head unit resulting is less wear on it. The larger the pully used the less chance of any belt issues. The D1 is very expandable. When a customer wants to either forge the bottom and and make more boost the D1 will make all the bost you want on a 346 cube engine. We even use the D1 on our 383 packages and make 750-800 rwhp. The initial price difference when buying them both is only marginal but to upgrade the P1 to a D1 down the road is about a $1,000 bucks or so. So we recommend to start right off with the D1 because they work great on a stock engine and can take you as far as you want to go power wise. Our 383 D1 car with a custom Methanol fogger system just put down 970 rwhp. We thats enough to keep most of our customers happy for awhile. :sneaky: ;) ;)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Some good points from ECS I will probably upgrade my P1 to a D1 this winter...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts