Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering why a pro charger for a corvette is so overpriced, double what it would cost compared to a mustang or camaro. I would really like a pro charger to be my next upgrade but they are way to much money in my opinion. Will the prices get cheaper since the new C6 is out? I also called a couple of places that sell ATI were they say they have a deep discount but you have to call, well its not deep enough. Is it safe or a good idea to buy a used unit?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The first reason that it's more expensive (and pretty much everything else) is because at the fromt of your car you have these little letters that say "Corvette"! If I'm not mistaken, I think that the difference between the two is that the supercharger housing is reversed. The mustang/Camaro mounts on the driver side and the Vette is on the passenger side. I doubt prices will drop much if at all with the C6 being out. The C4 supercharges are almost as expensive now as they were in '96. Buying a used one is a crap shoot. You can inspect the impeller/bearings, but the question you have to ask is why take it off in the first place? I have an ATI for a carbed car, but had to take it off because it kept blowing intake gaskets. Its in great condition but I think that's an exception, not the rule.

I have a magnacharger and a vortech (with "aftercooler") and am very happy with both. If you don't want to change the hood, I would look at the Vortech. They don't seem very popular with Corvettes (unklike they are with Mustangs) but I haven't heard anyone say why. Bad experiences maybe? Anyway, good luck with the search!

·
Registered
864 Posts
The other reason is the development costs are spread among fewer cars with Vettes. They have to pass that cost on to you so if they sell 200 for vettes versus 1500 for mustangs the price goes up alot. You should see the prices for turbos and superchargers for Ferraris. Try a minimum of 25K.

·
Registered
830 Posts
You may have to get a used one!! I heard there on back order.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The prices for the C5 are higher because people are willing to pay it. When people stop paying the inflated prices, they will drop, naturally.

Mark

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Just consider yourself lucky your not into Boats or some high-end exotics. Where an oil change cost 500.00 bucks

I do agree with you however :cheers:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Be ready $$$

It will cost you about 2000.00 more than your full kit cost(48lb injectors, K/B boost a pump LS1 edit or simular for a 11.5 to 1 A/F ratio). This is for the none return fuel system. Don't forget install labor, tuning, Nitto's and a clutch. After all that I have to say it is one of the best road cars I have ever driven.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts