Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a bit of research on SC applications for our cars. Initially, I thought that the Magnacharger might be the ticket for me, but now I have my doubts. It has lots of street "bling" and certainly makes substantial power. What I do not like is that this power comes in at the low end of the RPM range where I need it the least. I really do not want to have to tub the car and spend $$$$ for new wheels and tires. I am also not thrilled with adding 90 lbs to the front.

Yesterday, I spent about 20 minutes talking to Doug at ECS and two things became real clear to me: (1) These guys know thir stuff and are very customer oriented and (2) If I do an SC, ECS will do it. From what Doug was saying, I think the Procharger would fit my needs better. It weighs half what the Maggie does and its power curves may be more in keeping with my preferences.

For those of you who have Procharged your basically stock Z's, are you happy with your decision? Although I understand that that this SC makes considerably less bottom end power than the Maggie, can you give me an idea of your before and after h/p & torque at 2000, 2500, 3000, 3500 RPMs?

Also, has the unit been reliable and do you find the SC noise to be objectionable?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I have an ATI D1SC procharger setup from ECS ! I have a Supermaxx header system and stock btm end ! My before numbers were 382hp 355 tq now they are 600hp 502tq !

call Doug or Chris they will set you up with you want !

Rob :jammin:

·
Registered
109 Posts
What other mods are you running......and what addition fuel setup do you have to run 600rwhp....

·
Registered
200 Posts
I also have an ECS D1SC kit. You'll love it. Chris and Doug are great to work with. I also have one of their meth kits waiting to be installed.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rob, thanks for your response - awesome numbers! :jawdrop: If you have your dyno report handy, can you give me some idea of what your power levels are at the RPM ranges I mentioned?

Did you find that you could handle the increased power without tubbing? Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rob1Vet said:
I have an ATI D1SC procharger setup from ECS ! I have a Supermaxx header system and stock btm end ! My before numbers were 382hp 355 tq now they are 600hp 502tq !

call Doug or Chris they will set you up with you want !

Rob :jammin:
Rob, I'm thinking about going with an ECS procharger also on a stock 02z. Are you still running the stock clutch? If not, what kind of clutch are you using now?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Here is my dyno sheet with the before and after numbers. My other mods include headers, xpipe, borlas, and a racetronix high flow fuel pump with 42 lb SVO fuel injectors. The before numbers are with a Blackwing and the full exhaust set up, the after numbers are with the P1SC kit and fuel pump from A&A. If your looking at putting more than 520 rwhp into the car, I would seriously look into forging your bottom end. I did not do this and lost the rings in cylinder 7. I am now awaiting the install of my forged longblock from A&A that I have in my garage. Good luck with your decision. :cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is a new hood required with this type of supercharger (for clearance issues) or can the stock hood be used?

Thanks,
DEVILDOG :usa:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
BDHarmon said:
Rob, I'm thinking about going with an ECS procharger also on a stock 02z. Are you still running the stock clutch? If not, what kind of clutch are you using now?
No your stock clutch will not hold up for long ! I installed a exedy twin disk and a left hardened output shaft with a DTE strut brace in the diff and Trans !

Rob

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
BLEUBYU said:
Rob, thanks for your response - awesome numbers! :jawdrop: If you have your dyno report handy, can you give me some idea of what your power levels are at the RPM ranges I mentioned?

Did you find that you could handle the increased power without tubbing? Thanks!
3500-400hp
4000-430hp
4500-450hp
5000-500hp
6000-600hp
My rev limit is set at 6000rpm

I'm running drag radials !

Rob :yeadog:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wouldn't go more than about 500 rwhp with the stock motor just to be safe. It is more than enough power to handle your cravings. My motor blew after only two days. And 2 months later I've got a forged short block. Not very fun to go through. I think these high horsepower stock motor guys aren't far away from my situation. Broken cars are not fun, and a big hassle. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
iamjdub59 said:
I wouldn't go more than about 500 rwhp with the stock motor just to be safe. It is more than enough power to handle your cravings. My motor blew after only two days. And 2 months later I've got a forged short block. Not very fun to go through. I think these high horsepower stock motor guys aren't far away from my situation. Broken cars are not fun, and a big hassle. Hope this helps.

Who tuned your motor ? Which supercharger are you running ?

Rob

·
Registered
109 Posts
Tuning is all in keeping your motor around for a while, unless it had a freak problem from the factory....

A supercharged car should have minimal timing, enough injector, enough pump, and an AFR of 11:1 on the dyno at most.....

On the street that AFR will rise because a dyno jet doesn't give the full load of being on the street....

Your AFR gets too lean, your driving on a hot day, beating on it, you get some KR w/detonation, etc.....bye bye rings.....and #7 is the first to go on all these cars for some reason, it happened to my 01 hawk, but my motor had problems to start w/from the factory....

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate everyone's response to my questions. I certainly am concerned about going overboard with power on my stock, non-forged engine. I would think that 480-500 rwhp is the MAX I would go, based upon what I am hearing. At an estimated 13% drivetrain loss, that's still a good 10% over C6Z06 peak power. I do like that unlike the Maggie, power comes on in a more linear fashion. Still not sure at what RPMS noticeable power increases are felt - 2500?

I will definitely talk more to ECS about this in the future..

:cool:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I notice the power change (torque) at about 3000 and up. After 3500 it really starts to hustle and blurs reality. Up to 3000 she feels like the stock Z06 she really is (Great!) and the gas mileage shows it too. 3rd gear at 3500 and jump on it and you feel rocket forward ... makes merging onto the freeway really nice.

Later ... Larry S.

·
Registered
853 Posts
ATI P1 here with 8 lbs of boost, TPIS headers, hiper fuel pump....535 rwhp and 465 rwtq..They work..... :cheers:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone, for your responses! :cheers: For those of you running the ECS package, has your redline been lowered from stock? If so, to what?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Mine was lowered to 6k ! On the dyno sheet with the D-1 the HP line is climbimg fast :jammin:

Chris and Doug will look after you !

Rob :cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts