Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will have the ATI ProCharger along with a heads/cam package installed on my 2002 Z next week.

The guys at Speedworks (Lewisville, TX) are doing the work. I have heard that the ProCharger will not be shipped to the public until Jan. 14th, mine should arrive this Saturday, Dec. 15th.

Corvette Fever and Chevy Hi-Performance magazine might do a write-up on the car afterwards (they have been contacted and have shown interest).

We expect rwhp numbers to be in the 550+ range. We don't really know, a supercharger has never been put on a 2002 ZO6 that we know of.

I will post dyno numbers and pics of the install soon as work starts.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Jnation -- Ever driven a blown car before?! Wowsers! Weeeeeeeee! :)

Just thinking about a blower on an already-way-fast car like the Z is just sick!

Can't wait to hear about it!

-Kirk

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Steve Cole put a Carroll Supercharger on a '01 Z06. Got a ride in it last July.....WOW:eek: :) :D ;) :guiness: :cool:

At that time it produced 480rwhp and Steve was hoping for 500rwhp when he finished up the tuning. It's tuned to run on 91 CA Crap gas. So, with good gas it could only be better:D

Car is stock except for opening up the stock air cleaner and Steve's own axle back exhaust(Titanium was very restrictive above 6000rpm). I don't know if Steve put his TTS Headers on it. Steve's the guy who makes/sells these very fine headers through our Vendors.

He used larger injectors, a booster fuel pump, and heavy duty valve springs to prevent valve float. Of course, Steve did the PCM tuning. Steve Cole and Ron Zimmer are the PCM genius'es. They do PCM work for Lingenfelter, Mallet, etc.

With head work , cam, and an underdrive pulley it's gotta be mo better.

The Carroll Supercharger uses a Vortech Centrifical Pump and runs 7 pounds of boost. I'm not sure if it has an intercooler, but if not, that's another reason you'll get more HP, if the ATI includes an IC.

I told my mechanic that I planned to put on a Supercharger and a Cam, and Head work. He said it's real important to select the right Cam.....one that has long duration.

HTH,
Barrie

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
jnation said:
I will have the ATI ProCharger along with a heads/cam package installed on my 2002 Z next week.

The guys at Speedworks (Lewisville, TX) are doing the work. I have heard that the ProCharger will not be shipped to the public until Jan. 14th, mine should arrive this Saturday, Dec. 15th.

Dan and Keith will do a good job. :)

Corvette Fever and Chevy Hi-Performance magazine might do a write-up on the car afterwards (they have been contacted and have shown interest).

I'm sure they are interested! I believe they've done a couple of features on other SpeedWorks cars. That's a plus as far as getting in the door for a mag article. (been there, done that)

We expect rwhp numbers to be in the 550+ range. We don't really know, a supercharger has never been put on a 2002 ZO6 that we know of.

Who's going to do the computer tuning/engine management for you? ATI?

I'd expect the RHWP numbers to be right there as well. Then you can shoot to join me in the 600-club (I think they've updated me on their "Wall of Fame").

Should be really, really cool once its all done! :D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mrdatalife said:
damn...that's cool. please keep us updated, as i'm sure you will.

if you don't mind, can you tell us about $$$ for the setup?? you can PM me if you want to keep it private. ;)

enjoy!

-jason
ProCharger Installed approximately $7,500

Heads/Cam $1,300 (they just want to be part of the project)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who's going to do the computer tuning/engine management for you? ATI?

Ed Wright with FastChip out of Oklahoma.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I always wondered why the few supercharger kits I have seen for the Z are over $7000. I have had 2 ATI kits with IC that came with everything including the IC, external fuel pump, fuel management unit, plumbing, and chip for around $3000-3500. Labor is around $1000 for a Mustang. Labor cannot be THAT much more for a Vette. Be it an ATI, Vortech, or other brand they use the same head unit ($1500+) with a few hundred dollars worth of brackets, a few hundred in fuel, a few hundred in pipes and a bit more for the IC for a little over $3000 usually. Even after prototyping the brackets and plumbing for a new car the cost should still not be over $4000 for the parts. The impedence of the injectors must be similar to Ford because I have heard of guys running the SVO 30 lb injectors. You can buy LUCAS 42 lbers for a little over $400 so the cost isn't there. I want a blower again and do my own work but $7000+ is too much for me.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Compression Ratio

JN,
brought up on another forum, the 10.5 cr is too high to allow for a boost over 5/7.............did you guy's decide to do the heads/cam, based on this??.......
Or, are you going to lower the CR later??.:-?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pistons, crank, clutch and fuel system

I do not think the stock Z06 pistons will stand up to much more than 550 fwhp, much less 550 rwhp. You'd better put in forged pistons and a forged crank. The stock clutch obviously will not support 550 rwhp - better look into a Cartech or Spec. Upgrade the fuel system too. IMHO, you need these to have any chance at durability/reliability longer that 12 months with that kind of power.

Good luck...

EB_Z06

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Compression Ratio

ZO6LS6 said:
JN,
brought up on another forum, the 10.5 cr is too high to allow for a boost over 5/7.............did you guy's decide to do the heads/cam, based on this??.......
Or, are you going to lower the CR later??.:-?
The compression will be lowered during the heads/cam install.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Pistons, crank, clutch and fuel system

EB_Z06 said:
I do not think the stock Z06 pistons will stand up to much more than 550 fwhp, much less 550 rwhp. You'd better put in forged pistons and a forged crank. The stock clutch obviously will not support 550 rwhp - better look into a Cartech or Spec. Upgrade the fuel system too. IMHO, you need these to have any chance at durability/reliability longer that 12 months with that kind of power.

Good luck...

EB_Z06
I will run the system without switching to forged pistons and crank at this time. If engine failure occurs, then the proper repairs and adjustments will be made. Never know if you don't try! :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I forgot to mention C&C Cylinder Heads (Florida) have joined the project, they will be doing all the heads/cam work while lowering compression.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
According to Steve Cole at TTS in Los Angeles, the stock LS6 can easily handle 500rwhp.

Engineers built these engines to handle twice the load(before breaking) for durability reasons. Of course, LONG TERM durability is still going to be compromised. Best way is to rebuilt the bottom end with really strong parts.

A featured article in the current edition of Vette magazine has Corvette Connection of Denver, CO trying to break an LS1 with a Supercharger.

At 547rwhp at 5,280'(635 at sea level) running an 11-pound ATI Procharger DI-SC supercharger, it just keeps going:eek:

jnation, get a hold of this article. It's chop full of very interesting information that you can use. It's at Newsstands until 1/7/02.

Finally, Katech, who make the C5R engines, and who just got the IRL contract along with Chevrolet to produce the new IRL engines, have said that the week link in the bottom end of the LS1/LS6 engines is the rod bolts. Katech makes some really strong rod bolts that can beef up your bottom end for about $150.00. They install easily via removing the oil pan cover.

Chris at Katech told me that they ran an LS1 for 24 hours at 7,200 rpm with no problems.....

:eek: :D ;) :cool: :guiness:

01ZEE06
Barrie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts