Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members! I autocrossed my 2008 Z this weekend for the third time. It was a lot of fun. I convinced a coworker to join me. He owns a 2010 or 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 10 MR. This was his first autocross.

The course was pretty short (photo at the end) - good drivers were running about 41 seconds. I was able to get down to approx. 45.5 secs. The course only had a couple tight turns so there wasn't a huge difference between bad drivers (like myself) and good drivers. The past couple courses I ran I was about 10 secs. off the lead. I'm running on the stock GY Eagle F1 Supercar Run Craps. It's been my experience they simply do not hook up at all below 65* F. This day was no different @ 60* F. My coworker ran about 0.5 slower than me and he was on all season tires lol. I was incredibly impressed with the performance level of his Evo.

EDIT: Props to Corvette Troy for putting on yet another flawless AutoX event! Thanks * 10^6.

At the starting line...

Pulling onto the track...

Coworker's EVO pulling onto the track...

I hadn't washed my car in 3 weeks yet still looked awesome. Atomic Orange is great at hiding dirt / film / imperfections...

All smiles...

Looks great in the sun!...

By the EVO...

Cool angle...

Cool angle again...

Almost on two wheels!!!...

One vette broke down...

Action shot...

Another cool action shot...

The cars / car nuts after the event...

Map of the course...

I was amazed at the performance level of the Evo. I'd ridden in it a couple times, but was never blown away until the AutoX. There was definitely some turbo lag. It didn't really accelerate hard until about 4,500-5,000 RPM's. I rode with my coworker on 5 of the runs. From the seat of my pants my buddy seemed to "over drive" the car, but the AWD system / active handling always seemed to sort things out. The EVO was very quick & nimble. The brakes were fantastic. I definitely developed a new level of respect for those vehicles.

Hope you enjoyed the photos! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
:coo: pics thanks for sharing. Looking at that course made me dizzy! :lol::lol:

All that matters is if you had fun or not and judging by the smile on your face.. you did. :thumb:

·
9,755 Posts
Cool deal! Glad you are enjoying your car....and yeah, AO is an awesome color :yeadog:

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
My first autocross was my last, seems a waste for a corvette. Your car can go nearly 200 mph...it's just a waste. no offense to all you auto crossers out there, but it really is silly, and it's where you find all these four cylinder guys bragging...
Zteve06
Blk '02 z06
Austin, tx

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hey, thanks for posting! I have only done track days, never a auto-X, but you are convincing me to give it a try. Competition is competition, regardless of the venue. Looks like you had a great time.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
My first autocross was my last, seems a waste for a corvette. Your car can go nearly 200 mph...it's just a waste. no offense to all you auto crossers out there, but it really is silly, and it's where you find all these four cylinder guys bragging...
Zteve06
Blk '02 z06
Austin, tx
Be honest. You got beat by one of those four cylinder guys, didn't you?

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Be honest. You got beat by one of those four cylinder guys, didn't you?
I auto crossed in bowling green at z06 fest in 2010, and there was only one or two non corvettes there, I don't think they beat anybody, anybody remember how the BMW did?. My point was it's the only place a slow car can compete. I think it's great for them that they get a chance to crow over what is a superior car, that probably cost a lot more to own, operate, and maintain, not to mention skill. I'd liken auto crossing in a corvette to hunting rabbits with a shotgun; it will get the job done, but it won't be pretty.
Zteve06
Blk 02 z06
Austin, tx

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zteve06
Blk '02 z06
Austin, tx
Sorry, but you couldn't be more misguided. And douchey. I purchased my Z in January this year and have never been to an autocross, racetrack, drag strip, etc. of any type in my entire life. I've never driven a 500+hp car, etc. This driving season I've been trying to enjoy my Z - car shows, cruising around, sporty driving on some fun back roads - and learning its (and my) limits...

Let me break it down for you because you're clearly very simple minded. :screwy: And douchey. Did I mention that before? Anywho... I love cars. And I like being around car people. Autocross is a great way to meet other Corvette / car enthusiasts, have fun & explore the handling limits of my car in a safe environment, is very inexpensive, and located only 10 mins from my house. Part of the fun of autocross is the prep time I spend on my car.

So, just because I haven't taken my car on a real circuit type course in the first few months of ownership doesn't mean I don't plan to. Maybe I wanted to dip my toe in the water instead of jumping in head first... Perhaps learn a bit about my car, what it takes to care for an maintain it when attending HPDE's. And it is nice that an auto-x event only ties up about 4 hours of Sunday morning.

As a sidenote, I did not find any 4 cylinder guys bragging. Actually, in 3 autocross events I think I've seen about 2 cars with fewer than 6 cylinders. The overwhelming majority of the people are very polite, humble, outgoing, helpful, etc. Which is probably why you don't fit in with that crowd.

Hey, thanks for posting! I have only done track days, never a auto-X, but you are convincing me to give it a try. Competition is competition, regardless of the venue. Looks like you had a great time.
Give it a shot, you may like it. It's pretty fun as you get faster each lap. It's challenging because there's only 10 laps to memorize the course, find the right line, braking & acceleration points, etc. Plus it doesn't take up an entire day, is fairly easy to prep for,..... Pretty easy way to have cheap / safe fun with your ride.

[...] I'd liken auto crossing in a corvette to hunting rabbits with a shotgun; it will get the job done, but it won't be pretty.
More like going to the shooting range to shoot clay targets, learning a bit about the gun and how to shoot accurately before going out into the wild with no experience or training.

Did I mention douchey?

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
You went on about the Mitsubishi Evo like youre in love with it, included action photos of it,and showed a photo of a broken c4 being loaded on a trailer...I was trying to be nice, but there's no living with bugs, you just have to step on 'em.
This site is for people who love their corvettes, and think they are the best. Please trade yours in for anything, as far as I'm concerned, you don't belong in a corvette.
Zteve06

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
One more name calling post and you're gone!

Mike
Understood. However it's people like Steve that really bring down the discussions in the forums. I try to add quality content and insightful discussion for the forum, which most people enjoyed and expressed thanks. Then there's Steve who is some bored guy that always knows best and feels it's his job to start the negative commenting / bashing of autocross and the use of a vette in such an event. I will refrain from "name calling" in the future, however I stand by my comments. They are accurate.

You went on about the Mitsubishi Evo like youre in love with it, included action photos of it,and showed a photo of a broken c4 being loaded on a trailer...I was trying to be nice, but there's no living with bugs, you just have to step on 'em.
This site is for people who love their corvettes, and think they are the best. Please trade yours in for anything, as far as I'm concerned, you don't belong in a corvette.
Zteve06
You were trying to be nice? :lol: Well, you always can find a job in stand up comedy...

Again misguided. I'm not in love with the Evo. I simply stated my objective opinion about how it felt from the passenger seat and that its performance was deceptively good. I didn't say it was the best. I didn't say that Corvette's were the worst. Just because I like filet mignon doesn't mean I cannot enjoy a hamburger, right? Do you drive only corvettes? Have you ever owned a car other than vettes...... Of course not, what was I thinking?

Cars sometimes break down. If it was my car broken down I'd be posting those photos as well. It was just part of the day. Someone with a positive attitude would look at that photo and see all the men helping push the broken down Vette and realize that events like this build friendship and camaraderie. Something I imagine you're lacking.

Corvettes are great, but so are Ferrari's, lambos, Evos, whatever. I'm a lover of cars of general. I'm sure you have only owned corvettes since your birth and have never stepped foot inside another car. It makes sense then, with your convoluted logic, that someone who owns a corvette should not appreciate anything else. Nothing else exists worthwhile other than vettes.

People like yourself give us corvette owners a bad reputation.

In truth you're a digital XXXXX [no name calling] with an attitude problem without the intelligence to back it up. Sorry in advance Mike if this is borderline. I'm finished with this thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts