Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone adjusting caster and camber for autocrossing.
Looking for information on setting up and expected results.
I've checked some of the printed mags but not much ref to the corvette and z06. Raced in Houston two weekends ago and racer has a radical two lean at the top. Just need help with info.
Tks
:D

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
At first I went....

....-1.0 Camber in the front, now at -1.6 for Pro Solo. Still looking for more. Neutral toe to 1/16 toe out in front.

-0.7 Camber in rear, 1/8 to 1/4 toe in in rear.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppost this means a trip to the alignment shop? I have the manuals for the vette, is this something you did?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Didn't do it myself....

When I first got the car in March I took it to Mallett and had it lowered and the Penske shocks installed. Alignment was part opf the deal. Then half way through the season I realized I needed more Negative Camber in the front, so I took it to a local shop and the checked all the setting s , gave me more Negative to-1.6 and tweaked some other things that Mallett suggested when we went over my tire temp data, etc. Local shop charged me $43.00 for the Competition Alignment.

I like having the shop do it because

1. I don't get my hands dirty

2. I have a computer print out of all the factors, Alignment specs, weights, cross weights etc etc. I then can compare times, call Mallett for his suggestions, talk to other racers, then take it back to the local shop, recheck it on the same machine, and tweak it some more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with some other racers today and have a good shop lined up for the work TX seems to be a little higher with $100. for an alignment. I have three or four setups to try. Thanks for the infor and I will try to get intouch will Mallet. Seaplanes? No oceans in TX but lots of Sailplanes. Other Hobby.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
BTW...

... Mallett uses the old fashioned "string method" to do his race car alignments.

When I took it to the local shop and put it on the computerized laser machine the racing specs that Mallett had set with the "string method was DEAD ON!!! He must know what he is doing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Those settings are very good for a car that is driven on the street. Any more camber and you will adversely wear the inside of the tires. You will be pretty hard on the inside tread as it is. However. if you want to go to a full out autocross trim...that is you trailer the car to the events, then you can be more agressive. Front camber can go as high as 2 1/4 degrees with slight toe out and rear 1 1/2 degrees with toe in. I received these settings from two sources. One from a GM racing engineer and the other from a SCCA autocross champ.

That being said, you better trailer you car if you are going any distance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts