Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to Z06: what are the lightest wheels for autocross. should i put the race tires on the stock wheels and get aftermarket for the street, or are there better wheels than the stock for autocross. thanks guys

·
Registered
25 Posts
All depends on your budget. There are alot of us running stock wheels for the events and using aftermarket wheels for the street. You can find sets of OEM wheels for around $500 or so in various conditions. The reproduction OEM style wheels are heavier than their OEM versions so keep that in mind when shopping as well.

I have 2 sets of OEM wheels, 1 for autocross and 1 for the street. I'll be picking up a set of aftermarket wheels over the winter so I'll have a set for dry and rain tires.

If budget isn't a concern, you can go to CCW, Forgeline, or a few other places and have a set made for you. CCW has setups for us that are priced decently ( Under $3K ) and Forgelines are all custom and will cost you. I know other companies make them as well, but those are 2 that come to mind.

SSR's also are out there, but I THINK you need to find them used in c5z stock sizes.
Hope that helps some.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Welcome to :z:
Echo Conechaser's advice.
Don't know if you're NCCC (LCCC/CPCC do autox's up in your area) or intend to do SCCA, but consider the classing rules if you go to other than stock rim sizes. :yeadog:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys: have been autocrossing with the scca this year with another car. have yet to check out the corvette club, altho i know some members, but plan to race in super stock so wheels will be stock size

·
Registered
25 Posts
You racing in CPA region?? I hear they have some great courses there. I figure lancaster, you could be either with the CPA or Philly regions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those are nice wheels and a great price! If I wasn't running in SS, ( or if I was planning on doing some track days ) I'd love to buy them.

Would be nice for running in ASP as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. the other car was a honda s2000, nice car but too small for even a weekend away with the wife. 2. thanks for the offer of the wheels, but plan to race SS with SCCA, am in susquhanna region, most of our events at hershey or harrisburg, but race philia and dc region as well. therefore i need stock wheel sizes. so again, am left with the delemma of using stock 06 wheels for autocross and buy relatively cheap wheels for the street, or buy customns for autocross and keep stock for the street. are the customns that much better that stock if i have to keep stock sizes?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ahhh... I've raced with your region before. I did PA states there back in 2008. I ran in DS with my friend's VW R32. The Farm Expo lots are fun.

Well, the custom wheels can be a great deal lighter, but if you look at some of the top SS guys ( Wynveem for one ) they are using OEM wheels. PLUS, you can get many sets of them for the price of ONE set of the others.

I even plan on picking up a set of Z06 chromies or the motorsports wheels used for throwing on tires for rainy days. At that point I don't care about the extra weight.

Sam Strano is not far from you and always a call away if you need good setup advice and stuff like that. He's setup a number of great Z06's for people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Even Volk makes the TE-37 for the vette, but those will cost you about 2,200-2,700 maybe more depending on what size you get. I'd fined a stock set of z06 wheels or try 18's front and rear. Thats what I want to do myself. I've been doing the CVCC and LCCC for the past couple of years. I wanted to sign up with the susquehanna scca club either this year or next and start running the SCCA events. I'd say buy a nice set of either kumho, toyo or michelin dot compound and slap them on for a while and save for an extra set of OE wheels.

SamStrano: Where is he located at? I'm in Mechanicsburg and need a good starting point for autox/track setup

·
Registered
32 Posts
For the stock sizes necessary for SCCA SS, CCW will only have/build their
'classics' (a three-piece wheel), because of the 17" front. I have raced on
them with other cars, for 10 years, and CCW is very good at service and
warranty replacements if the center cracks. They have told me that there is
actually not much to gain beyond stock C5 Z06 wheels. They said Chevy did
a good job with them. I do wish CCW made one-piece wheels for a C5 in
the as-stock-as-necessary-for-SCCA-SS sizes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts