Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering the years of autocrossing experience of the guys that have gotten a Z06. Did you all start AutoX after getting a Z06 or did you get the Z06 for the purpose of AutoX?

I have about six years of experience and purchased the Z06 because I thought it would be the best car for Super Stock.

Not to mention, I like Corvettes:bs:

Jose Gonzalez.

·
Registered
575 Posts
autox'ed a 94', 97', 00', and now will fire up a ZO6. First two cars were prepared for me by Kim Baker (former Challenge Champ. in the late 80's). The 00' had Hotchkis sway bars and links...etc.
Done severel time trials too! Mostly at NHIS and Lime Rock.
The 94 and 97 cars still hold course records at Otis AFB. They run the same layout at each autox.
Can't wait to see how the 2002 ZO6 performs!!!!:)
Bob

·
Registered
198 Posts
I started Autocrossing in 1990 in a FORD RANGER PICKUP!!! :eek:

19 years of age... just knowing I liked driving on the edge! Sold the truck 6mos later and got a Mustang GT... auto-x'd and Drag Raced on and off for about 5 years... then in '95... I decided to dedicate myself to Autocross, competing in every Solo 2 Nationals, and Pro Solo Finale from then one, winning both the G Stock National Championship, and Pro Solo Championship in '97. Then did a Viper in '98, WS6 in '99, and an Audi S4 in '00. (The Audi was supposed to be a relax year... boy did that sting!).

I bought the Z-06 because I knew it would be the car to have in SS, and wanted to get another corvette anyways! (Still love Drag Racing, and doing Track Days!)

See you in Topeka!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Started autocrossing in 1978 in a 1958 dual quad Corvette. Great fun until the first turn, then it flood out. Sold that and bought a concours 65 FI, not autocrossing. In 1981 bought a 64 FI roadster for light autocrossing and corvetting. Five years later it became an autocrossing trailer queen. Autocrossed that through 2000. October, 2000 the Z06...what a transition--had to relearn to autocross.:)

·
Registered
603 Posts
I began in '85 w/ an IROC! of all things...
I have done it on & off (mostly off...) since then, until '98 when I started again in earnest w/ Jacki's C5 Z51 6 spd ragtop. I've won my class what will be 3 yrs running this year in our club, but we've retired her car and will now run the Z06.
I will say that, I've had to re-learn how to drive this very different C5... 1st gear is almost unusable(explosive power), and I've lost about 7-8 mph compared to the C5(her car was very quick in the tight stuff w/ that tractable 1st gear & a 6400 rpm HPP limiter). 2nd & 3rd gear is what I now have to use most of the time, and it's not quite as responsive, but overall the total performance envelope has been increased. I'm sure I will be as fast or hopefully faster in the Z06;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I began with an automatic 1990 Coupe. Much easier to drive than a Z06.

With street tires the Z06 is quite a handful!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
My first time was in '83 in my Datsun

My first time autocrossing was in 1983 in, believe it or not, my 1237cc 1980 Datsun 210 coupe w/4 speed :D

:lol: I beat the living snot out of the that POS car and beat many 280Zs in the process :eek: , (at the expense of my clutch).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts