Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know always hand wash. However due to my busy week-end schedule and the Z being a daily driver coming up on rainy weather, I need a faster way to wash the Z in winter.

I know auto car washes are discouraged, however can it be done without damage. Now I'm not talking about the cheapo ones, I'm talking about the Chevron $18.95 hand wash premium car washes. They wash by hand, but the car still goes through a guided wheel thingy.

Are the rear wheels to wide to fit in all the car washes or do some have adjustable slides that adjust to your specific wheel size.

Comments and facts welcome, please no flames.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I am sure Frank would be glad to show you a picture of what happens at the auto car washer. I think he a picture of one that mangled a car. Anyway, if you need a quick wash to get the road dirt or salt try a soft spray do-it-yourself wash. You don't drive it through a machine but you can still get the bugs, salt and other road dirt off quickly and easily. I wouldn't use the scrub brush the spray won't hurt it.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I too, have been tempted to do a "high quality, automatic" car wash when in a hurry, but decided against it....would rather drive a dirty Vet, than a scratched, swirled, damaged one! :eek:

Don't Do It!

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
638 Posts
You will be dizzy after looking at all the swirl marks on your paint. I hand wash mine with a power washer and two mits. One for the top and one for the bottom. BEWARE of wheel brushes at the auto wash. I had the clearcoat stripped off my 84' wheels mine after I told them to turn off the brush. I live in CT and love to drive my car, but once the salt hits she is in the garage.;)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
no no no .. say it isn't so! Either let it stay dirty, or find one of those 'wand' car washes and do it yourself. Just don't let anyone else's 'thingies' touch your paint! The only way to find out whether the automated washes will hurt your car is to be the test case. Do you really want to be the test case?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
TRZ06 said:
I know, I know always hand wash. However due to my busy week-end schedule and the Z being a daily driver coming up on rainy weather, I need a faster way to wash the Z in winter.

I agree with the recommendation of using the touch free, do-it-yourself wash. I can usually do mine in 5 minutes which can't be much longer than the automatics. It will take a lot more of your time to get the swirl marks out. :yeadog:

- Charley

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Avoid at all costs!.The only favor they will do is screw up your paint!.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok ok, I get the point.

Thanks for chiming in, I guess the pressure wash will be my friend this winter because all nice week-ends this winter will be at Lake Tahoe snowmobiling.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hold on a minute fellas. If you can find a car wash that will wash it offline, I see no problem doing that. I've done it a couple of times when I was in a hurry at my local car wash and they did a pretty good job. Sponges, towels, hoses, just like I do it at home. They charge me an extra 5 bucks but it is worth it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, besides the obvious of the eyes out and the left fender black, where is the damage and what was the damage??

·
Registered
0 Posts
The fender had to be replaced. A trap door that raises to let the rollers go down, hung on the fender. There was also a big scrape along the rocker. Total damage was $1500.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I don't even let the hand wash guys do mine. I DO know where that sponge or rag came from before it got to my car, someone elses wheels, fender wells or ground. Unless they are using clean fresh sponges, high quality towels that are clean and fresh, I wouldn't let those hand jobbers do it either. Just go by and watch, they rarely clean the sponges or towels from one car to the next. Ever see them drop a sponge or cloth, they just pick it up and keep on using it. That may be fine for your mini van but sure wouldn't be what I would want for my Z06. If you are in a pinch and just want to rinse it off, stick to the soft spray do-it-yourself until you can do it yourself the right way.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Damn, Do you at least get the liquid wax and wheel bright for 1,500 Bucks?:lol: :puke:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Will the 2002 Z06 fit in most automatic car washes? I hope so. I see no possible way I would be able to avoid using automatic car washes. I love cars and like them to look great, all the time, but I have no desire to wash my own car. Isn't there anyone out there that uses the automatic car wash and is still happy?

·
Registered
223 Posts
gasp, choke, wheeze...:eek: :-?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Guess I'm silly. There is a brushless car wash up here where I live. You put in 5 bucks, drive in, a little arm goes around the car, sprays soap, rinses, sprays clear coat protectant, spot free rinse (soft water). I drive out, go 1/8 mile to the interstate, crank it up to 85 mph and blow dry. I get home and polish... Looks great. Nothing to catch or hook. Of course, I only do it if I'm in a big hurry.:cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts