Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the bullets last week, installed them this weekend. Getting the stock system out was quite a PITA, especially the passenger side. I am now in the process of installing the bullet system and the nuts (6 sided) and bolts (12 sided head) they provide are less than willing the tighten up. I have to get two wrenches and move them in the opposite direction and they still feel like they are max tight when I know there is still some thread left.

For owners of the B&B Bullet system, if you did your own install, did you notice these nuts and bolts hard to tighten?

Should I get other nuts and bolts to use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also noticed that the drivers side exhaust where is routes next to the sway bar is almost touching it. I mean where the two bolts are on each side that mount the sway bar, there are hard rubber pieces, and the exhaust is almost touching it. Is this going to create any issues, with heat or cornering with the exhaust pipe coming so close?
If you have a bullet system, can you take a look to see how close the exhaust is coming to the sway bar?
Thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
I didn't see any problem with your second question posted. As for the first, use power tools. On mine, the welds prevented me from hand tightening well enough to prevent exhaust leakage, extra power did the trick. You will LOVE them. Stingers are for the feignt of heart. :sneaky:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I finally finished the install last night. Took me about 45 minutes to get the Z back on the ground. Sort of ghetto style the way I had to lift it high enough to remove the stock exhaust, but at least it was secure and stable.

My opinions on the Bullets.....

They are a bit louder than the stock Z Ti's. Surprised at how tame it was at idle. At WOT, they truly sing :jawdrop: . Noticed some resonance at around 2500-2800 rpm's. Also noticed the popping, which I kinda actually like. This is my first aftermarket exhaust, so I have nothing to compare the fit and finish against, except for the stock Ti's. But the fit and finish to me look fine. Overall, nice cat-back system for the price.

By the way, anyone know what causes resonance? With aftermarket cat-back exhausts, some report they have it and some report they don't.

·
Registered
609 Posts
torchz04 said:
Well, I finally finished the install last night. Took me about 45 minutes to get the Z back on the ground. Sort of ghetto style the way I had to lift it high enough to remove the stock exhaust, but at least it was secure and stable.

They are a bit louder than the stock Z Ti's. Surprised at how tame it was at idle. At WOT, they truly sing :jawdrop: . Noticed some resonance at around 2500-2800 rpm's. Also noticed the popping, which I kinda actually like. This is my first aftermarket exhaust, so I have nothing to compare the fit and finish against, except for the stock Ti's. But the fit and finish to me look fine. Overall, nice cat-back system for the price.

By the way, anyone know what causes resonance? With aftermarket cat-back exhausts, some report they have it and some report they don't.
I have the B&B twin tip bullets. With the stock exhaust (headers/cats/h-pipe etc...) they sounded really good. I also noticed the popping sound.

If you want them to sound GREAT !! Install long tube headers. I was shocked and amazed that they could sound better ! But they did ! :D

Get a good partition in your car. I did because (like u said) around 2700 rpm's I felt my teeth rattling. After the partition the resonance inside the car is gone. Most of the sound all comes from outside the car like it should.

I am very happy with them and frineds have commented it sounds bad AZZ !

Web site
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0aae8/webpage.html

Sound Clip (drive by and dyno)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0aae8/z06/drivebydyno.mpg

Z49

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response Z49_Z06. Based on the number of responses, I was beginning to think will82 and I were the only ones that had 2-tip B&B Bullet exhaust systems.

I actually do have a partition in, a homemade one. Just 3/4 MDF with carpet. Still have a tiny bit of resonance, but in reality, it's not enough to get worked up over.

Did you notice any funny smell after you installed and ran them? It's definately not an overwhelming smell. I'm wondering if it's because it's a new exhaust and it has to be broken in.

I'm liking the tips more than I thought I would. Next addition will have to be an exhaust plate. How is yours attached? With 3M doublesided tape? What kind of plate is it? Any issues with it coming off?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the 4 tip bullets on may car. I would think that they would sound the exact same as the 2 tips...I have noticed on colder mornings that all the exhaust flow comes out of the inner 2 tips. Barely any comes out of the outer 2 tips, so the 2 outer tips are basically for looks, nothing more. I love the sound of mine and wouldn't trade them for anything...but, after they had been on about a few months the driver side hanger broke and I had to get it fixed. I took it to a muffler shop and they rewelded it but it does not match up exactly like it did stock. Kinda makes me ill for a $700 system. I have a partition in mine too and it REALLY helped out with the sound. However, the exhaust resonance doesn't even come close to rattling teeth like the sub in the back! :eek:

·
Registered
609 Posts
torchz04 said:
Thanks for the response Z49_Z06. Based on the number of responses, I was beginning to think will82 and I were the only ones that had 2-tip B&B Bullet exhaust systems.

I actually do have a partition in, a homemade one. Just 3/4 MDF with carpet. Still have a tiny bit of resonance, but in reality, it's not enough to get worked up over.

Did you notice any funny smell after you installed and ran them? It's definately not an overwhelming smell. I'm wondering if it's because it's a new exhaust and it has to be broken in.

I'm liking the tips more than I thought I would. Next addition will have to be an exhaust plate. How is yours attached? With 3M doublesided tape? What kind of plate is it? Any issues with it coming off?
Sorry for late reply.... 8 month old Baby ya know ... :p

I noticed a smeel after the long tube install, but that went away after the high flow cats worked them selves in. I did not notice a smell after just the B&B install (happend a few months before long tube install). I love these things !

The exhaust plate is from west coast corvettes. I love its design. Its held on with double sided sticky tape. It feels like its glued on ! its strong ! I used Alcohol to clean the area before sticking it on of course. I dont think its comming off for a LONG time !

Glad to hear you like the exhaust too !

Z49

·
Registered
881 Posts
torchz04 said:

Resonance is an acoustical standing wave. Anything will resonate at what is called its' "natural or fundamental frequency", but only when there is an "excitation" at the same frequency as the natural frequency of the system. A wind insturment has tunable natural frequencies by means of keys or valves - these cause it to play notes. However, the musician must first create that same frequency with his reed or mouthpiece. In the case of your car, the B&B Bullets cause the entire system to have a natural frequency somewhere around 2650 RPM (or some multiple thereof). When your engine is running at that RPM, it excites the resonance in the exhaust system and causes the sound amplitude to increase many times - sometimes 10 to 100 times. Hence the annoying drone. You can reduce the amplitude of the resonance by adding damping (i.e. a restrictive muffler) or by adding an aperture at a key location in the standing wave (restrictive again). It is better to tune the resonance out. This is done by computer modeling the entire system and using finite element analysis to predict the resonant frequency and then altering the system design (length, diameter, bends, etc) to "tune" the fundamental resonant frequency to something outside the range of frequencies that the engine emits and also not to coincide with the fundamental resonant frequency of the cabin. GM employs PhD physicists and engineers who design their exaust systems so that they will not resonate - but will still retain the desired sound charateristics. I guess that few or none of the aftermarket guys have PhDs and finite element design systems at their disposal. My Audi has an aftermarket exhaust system and it resonates like an SOB.

:z:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts