Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scheduled my car to go in Tuesday night for Wednesday installation of the B&B shorty headers, 975.00 delivered from EXIT-28, added Taylor Spiro Pro Spark Plug Wires, and NGK plugs while they were there. Installation was $292.00. My mechanic was joking about the box being so light and someone just filled the box with styrofoam...they are so light it is amazing. I love the sound, as far as performance is concerned I will not speculate and leave that for the track. Thanks you guys for all the helpful information you have provided in making my decision for performance modifications. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$65.00 per hour, they guy is meticulous in his work, I was very happy with the installation and clean job he provided.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Please post the results. This is on my potential list of mods.

How would you describe the change in the exhaust sound?

- Charley

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love the B&b's. The best part I found was that I could do the install myself unlike the LT's. I can describe the sound as being more "hollow" sounding. It is a very nice compliment to the weight savings and the performnace gains.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
bwhitmore said:
I love the B&b's. The best part I found was that I could do the install myself unlike the LT's. I can describe the sound as being more "hollow" sounding. It is a very nice compliment to the weight savings and the performnace gains.
When I first started it up after installation I thought to myself, "did they forget the headers?" It wasn't until I hit the freeway and let her rip did I notice the deeper sound, the pop pop pop has gone away. :(

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Don and Brian,

Glad you guys like them. The thicker or hollower sound are what a lot of guys are looking for with an aftermarket exhaust. While there are smaller gains on the 02's due to the pups being gone, they are half the weight on the stock units and sound much better. Maybe it's the ' new exhaust' system of the Z's rather than the normal switching the titanium exhaust for aftermarket if the stock tips look good to you. With the stock tips being thicker than the wimpy C5 stock tips, it may be an option.

RG

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
bwhitmore said:
The fact that they are a direct bolt on vs. cutting the stock H-pipe and welding in a flange for LTs is a big advantage for me, too.

I am not too impressed with the one test I've seen done on an '02 that yielded 3rwhp, though. If they would provide just twice that much, I might consider them more.

However, an even bigger concern is that of having no heat shielding like the stock manifolds have. I haven't spent a lot of time under the hood of my 3-day old car, but I can see that its pretty tight in there. Lots of hard lines are close to the headers, and the shields are there for a reason.

You two with these headers on...any issues with clutch fluid getting too hot/boiling?

Thx.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
WA 2 FST said:

However, an even bigger concern is that of having no heat shielding like the stock manifolds have. I haven't spent a lot of time under the hood of my 3-day old car, but I can see that its pretty tight in there. Lots of hard lines are close to the headers, and the shields are there for a reason.

You two with these headers on...any issues with clutch fluid getting too hot/boiling?

Thx.
I wonder if the that 16 lbs of extra cast iron metal holds more heat than the stainless headers that are said to dissipate heat rather quickly. I personally don't know just wondering.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I recall somthing from GM stating that the cast manifolds passed heat more efficently downstream. I seem to remember it having something to do with emissions and cat light-off but I can't recall where I saw it.

Of course, this would not apply to a modded racer.....but I think DJWorm had some clutch fluid boiling issues. You might try searching for "clutch boiling" or just boiling.......then again, this might have been brake fluid :eek:

I'm rambling now...... :)

JC

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well...it only gets to be 120 here in the summer, I guess I will know soon enough :lol: Till then I will enjoy the cool nights.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have not heard of any heat problems associated with these headers, nor have I had any problems in the last 3,000 miles. I have, however, heard of brake fluid boiling, this has occured in a friend's 2002 Z06.

In my experience the B&B's disipate heat better than the factory manifolds, the engine is much more cooler in terms of its ambient temperature in this area. You also have to realize the plug wires sit inches away from the headers and they have yet to be affected at all.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Man with a beautiful set of pipes like that, it's a shame the quarters are so tight you really can't see them that well:(

So B&B Shorty guys, is ANY cutting at all required? Or can I just un-bolt the old, and bolt on the new? Did new gaskets come with the headers? Use stock bolts or new provided?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fyrcaptain said:
Man with a beautiful set of pipes like that, it's a shame the quarters are so tight you really can't see them that well:(

So B&B Shorty guys, is ANY cutting at all required? Or can I just un-bolt the old, and bolt on the new? Did new gaskets come with the headers? Use stock bolts or new provided?
No cutting involved, I didn't see the install so I don't know if there were new gaskets or bolts involved. You cannot see them that well but the change in sound and what I believe to be a sure gain in hp along with the weight savings turned out what I expected to be one heck of a value. I was very pleased to say the least. :cheers:

·
Registered
68 Posts
They are as easy as that, unbolt the old, bolt in the new. The driver's side is a little tight, it required flipping over the alternator and the coil pack (as one unit) to remove the header. I also installed a new set of plugs and wires at the same time since I had everything apart. I replaced the gaskets at the heads, they were not included with the kit, but were relatively inexpensive from the parts department at my local chevy dealer. I simple reused the ceramic gaskets at the intermediate pipe, as well as reused the header bolts. The best thing is the B&B sticker that comes with the headers. It states the EO# for the headers, making them street legal in 50 states. This is important for CA visual inspection. If you don't have that number, you don't pass smog. I placed mine inside my drivers side door beneath the rest of the factory stickers. It is real clean, just pop my door open and right there, bam, 50 state legal. :guiness:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts