Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,625 Posts
Seems like it wouldn't rattle with that cone of rubber. Looks like the stock shifter almost.
Let us know how it feels. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Cone is metal, not rubber... I'm not sure if it is purely for aesthetics, so you do not feel a skinny piece of metal if you grip the shifter below the knob, or if it actually adds some dampening value...

In any case, I am going to install it this weekend. I'll keep you updated.

Tommy :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,625 Posts
TaTommy888 said:
The Cone is metal, not rubber... I'm not sure if it is purely for aesthetics, so you do not feel a skinny piece of metal if you grip the shifter below the knob, or if it actually adds some dampening value...

In any case, I am going to install it this weekend. I'll keep you updated.

Tommy :)
That is correct. The stock shifter cone is metal also. But underneath that metal is all hard rubber.

Please keep us updated! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
TaTommy888 said:
There is another shifter from B&M, part #45057 that specifically states "fits Z06".

I ordered #45044, which has the fatter cone shaped base to it. Will this work on a 2003 Z06?

Here's the link with both shifters listed:
http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=3&cat=3&subcat=15

Thanks.

Tommy :)
Did you order it from them directly, or a dealer? I need to get one, I'm ready to blow up my Breathless piece of crap shifter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vinny, I ordered it online from a third party vendor. It was $179.

Well, I installed it yesterday ( it literally took about 20 minutes to install!), and wow, what a difference. Great mod for the price.

As far as the noise goes, it is not bad at all. For comparison, my 2000 WS6 was noisy as hell, and all that had was the stock hurst, "lou's short stick", and a aluminum ball grip... This B&M is only realy noisy if you press and hold the stick into the gate, but who the hell does that (besides me while testing it).

If definitely requires more force than stock, so hopefully it won't be too annoying in traffic (as I use my car daily), but it definitely feels much more accurate.

It is also nice not having to adjust any stops, it made for a quick install.

Tommmy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
TaTommy888 said:
Vinny, I ordered it online from a third party vendor. It was $179.

Well, I installed it yesterday ( it literally took about 20 minutes to install!), and wow, what a difference. Great mod for the price.

As far as the noise goes, it is not bad at all. For comparison, my 2000 WS6 was noisy as hell, and all that had was the stock hurst, "lou's short stick", and a aluminum ball grip... This B&M is only realy noisy if you press and hold the stick into the gate, but who the hell does that (besides me while testing it).

If definitely requires more force than stock, so hopefully it won't be too annoying in traffic (as I use my car daily), but it definitely feels much more accurate.

It is also nice not having to adjust any stops, it made for a quick install.

Tommmy
Could you give me the name of the online vendor, it seems most still carry the old type.
Thanks for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
I had no problems and no rattle from my B&M on an 02 Z. A little stiffer than some aftermarket shifters, but very solid in performance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
TaTommy888 said:
Vinny, I ordered it online from a third party vendor. It was $179.

Well, I installed it yesterday ( it literally took about 20 minutes to install!), and wow, what a difference. Great mod for the price.

As far as the noise goes, it is not bad at all. For comparison, my 2000 WS6 was noisy as hell, and all that had was the stock hurst, "lou's short stick", and a aluminum ball grip... This B&M is only realy noisy if you press and hold the stick into the gate, but who the hell does that (besides me while testing it).

If definitely requires more force than stock, so hopefully it won't be too annoying in traffic (as I use my car daily), but it definitely feels much more accurate.

It is also nice not having to adjust any stops, it made for a quick install.

Tommmy
I am debating between this shifter or the new C6 shifter or possibly even staying with what I have. How much additional effort is it? Is it easier than the original B&M shifter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
I just ordered the new 45044 shifter too... I was going to get the C6 shifter, but after reading some of the comments on the C6 forums, I decided to go with the B&M. Seems to be a good compromise between stock and a radical short shifter.
The B&M claims 40% shorter throws than the stock C6 shifter and no noise.... will see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Now that some people have had this shifter for some time how do you like it. Is it alot more effort than stock? I should just break down and do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Yep.My 02Z Ripper rattles on accel.If I hold it,it's a lot less.

Anyone know of a fix?

\db2
Carolina
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
have the new b&m on my 01z for 6 months replacing the shifter(b&m ripper) that came with the car when i bought it.i see no reason to change again,no noise or vibration and it shifts smooth,the change to mobil one synthetic trans fluid also helped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Vinnie Z said:
Could you give me the name of the on-line vendor, it seems most still carry the old type.
Thanks for your help.
Corvettes of Houston has the new style (45044) at 179.00
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,808 Posts
IT L GO said:
Corvettes of Houston has the new style (45044) at 179.00
I know there has been numerous threads on this newer version...but what is the real difference??? Is it worth it for me to change out my old version B&M ripper for this? I really don't have any issues with the "old" style ripper, but there is a little bit of rattling noise at full throttle...it's been on the car about three years and still notchy as hell, but the shifts are very precise and short.


Rob G.:pop:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,334 Posts
RobGrnfld said:
I know there has been numerous threads on this newer version...but what is the real difference??? Is it worth it for me to change out my old version B&M ripper for this? I really don't have any issues with the "old" style ripper, but there is a little bit of rattling noise at full throttle...it's been on the car about three years and still notchy as hell, but the shifts are very precise and short.


Rob G.:pop:
The new model shifter feels almost as good as the stock one. When I had the older model in the car the shift pressure to 5th and 6th was horrible and a couldn't stand the noise and vibration.

The new style is on the left.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Looks to me the only real difference is that the new one can incorporate the C6 shift knob as well as a screw on knob.
If you look at the 45044 shifter there is a screw hole in the base for the C6 knob to attach too.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top