Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ecklers is selling what they claim is an all aluminum Ripper shifter for $249. Part number 37817 on page 96 of their summer catalog.
Corvette Forum is selling one from LA Performance Division at $169. This one has a good write up and has an aluminum base and a steel shaft:
http://store.yahoo.com/corvetteforum/bmripshifc5.html
Is there any difference between the two? Can I get the one from Corvette Forum and save myself $80?
Thanks for anyones input.
Ffen

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been wondering the exact same thing.

Come on, someone has to know this.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hey guys,

I bought my Ripper through a group purchase on the CF, and at that lower price you mention here. The one I got is the same one pictured in the link you listed. It IS the one you're looking for.

Now, as for there being a "2nd" one, I don't think that's the case. I think Eklers is simply charging more for the same exact thing (despite the write up being slightly different).

One thing I have noticed is that the "previous generation" (for lack of a better term) Ripper had a "buldge" in the shaft near where the bottom of the average shift knob would be, presumably to keep the shifter boot up near the bottom of the shift knob. Mine has a straight shaft with no buldge. Perhaps B&M did away with that buldge because aftermarket shifters may come down lower than that buldge (and wouldn't be able to, with it there), and/or because the buldge really isn't necessary as a means to keep the boot up over the shaft.

Hope this helps! Buy the Ripper at the lower price, and make sure it looks like the one in the CF picture when it comes in. You'll love it!

-Kirk

2001 Z06
MY w/Black (Memory, Mirrors, Mats, & Moldings)
+ B&M Ripper, Hardbar knob, Blackwing, lowering bolts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Curious... how much better are these shorter shifters? I know that I dont care too much for the tall one from the factory. Also how long does this mod take, assuming I bought the Ripper in particular? Thanks in advance.... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

On 2001-08-17 00:37, Saint spewed forth this drivel:
Curious... how much better are these shorter shifters? I know that I dont care too much for the tall one from the factory. Also how long does this mod take, assuming I bought the Ripper in particular? Thanks in advance.... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif
Saint -- As Tony the Tiger would say... "They'rrrrrrrrrrre grrrrreat!" Let's talk about the Ripper, in particular (since that's what I have): The shaft is much shorter, the stops are very short (so it just "snicks" into gear) and positive-feeling, and it has a centering spring that make going into 3rd from 2nd easy as hell. This shifter DOES require more effort to shift than the stock piece, though you'll learn to appreciate it quickly. The installation should take a first-timer @ 1 hour, but now I can do it in @ 20 minutes. I -- and many others -- highly recommend this mod!

-Kirk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts