Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today was the day I was both anticipating and a bit nervous about. What if my new baby didn't have the pony power it was supposed to?

First, let me say that John Sealock at Woodbridge Dynotech has completed set-up of his new shop, and it is a class act all the way. If you live in Northern Va, and you want to know how many mice are runnin on that treadmill under your hood, check them out. They also do a lot of serious performance tuning..

So here is the background info:

Mileage on Bleu - 1,100
Air Temp: 81 degrees
Humidity: 73 percent
Water temp: 198
Fuel: 93 Octane
Mods: Vortex cold air rammer and bridge.

Note: I did not baseline this car as I literally drove it straight back from a Museum Delivery to Corvettes at Carlisle where BPP offered to install their system at a substantially reduced price providing I left the EB with them for several hours - it drew a LOT of attention! :D :D :D

So, the most admittedly unscientific method I could come up with is to find all the '02 stock Dynojet best runs, add them together, then average them out. The rwhp range was 337 to 356 and the average came out to 349.2 for the '02s. This would "appear reasonable" since this number divided by .85 is almost 411 crank h/p.

I did three pulls, which each pull being stronger than the preceding one (the car was definitely "learning"). The last pull was 5.4 rwhp higher than pull number 1. My last pull was 357.5 rwh/p (which equates to 420.5 crank h/p) and 350.3 rear wheel torque (which equates to 412 ft/lbs engine torque). :cheers:

I was very pleased, especially considering that there was definitely some detonation (noise) in the 6100 rpm range indicating that timing was being backed off. Also, the dyno shop manager (who has tested numerous LS-1 and LS-6 engined cars) said that I will need at least 5 times as much mileage on my "green engine" before it is broken in completely. He feels that as is, my car with detonation eliminated on a broken in engine should be worth 8-10 additional ponies. :)

Conclusions:

The '02s are making advertised power, in fact averaging a few horsies above rated power of 405.

The Vortex is probably worth at this point, about 8 rear wheel, or 9.5 crank h/p on my car - at this point, while sitting on the rollers with a fan blowing on the front of the car. This is probably a pretty realistic number given that the '02 stock air box is approximately 400% larger than the stock '01 box. As I have said before, hype notwithstanding, I don't think it is realistic to expect huge gains from any of these cold air systems which are essentially enlarged cold air tubes capped with K&N type filters which are placed to ingest cooler air. Intake gains may be futher improved with the addition of headers, but of course that will not be known.

I will be back next Spring to retest once I have chosen and installed headers, and the motor has a few more miles on it. I think it is realistic to hope for power in the 435 range at that point.

I will post the actual graphs once I have a jpeg...

I love the car - I'm keepin her!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Great #s Bleu, wish I could have made it. I will be down soon enough. Now all ya got to do is take it to the 1/4 and see what she will do. LOL Better bring some slicks!! so you can hit 11s. Thanks
for the info.

:cheers:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Nice write up!!!

Thanks for sharing those great dyno numbers, and enjoy your Z!

Zippy :) :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx guys. I was really pleased that the car lived up to its billing - but then again, it wasn't a Ford Cobra with imaginary h/p ratings! :eek:

Hopefully I will have a jpeg to post over in the Dyno section in a few days (if I can figure out how to do it)!

I think headers will realistically be worth maybe an additional 12-15 rear wheel - would love for someone to come out with a well designed titanium set....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yea Baby!! :D :D My car's twin has the power. Mine feels real strong so I know it should be up there.

You will get a stock dyno report on my car midweek if everything works out right. I have a few more miles on the car than you do, so we'll see if it has learned anything yet.

And I agree, the car's a keeper. :cheers:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Seems it's going to be a while before I get my cars dyno's. The local dyno jet is no more. I just called to book some time and they said they took it out. Bummer. Now I need to do some hunting in order to find one that isn't too far away.
-----------------------------------------
Update: Seems another shop in town just bought a dynojet and should have it installed by mid October. They also moved out by Buttonwillow Raceway. Might be worth the trip.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve, your Va twin will be eagerly awaiting the results of your test. Hopefully, you can put some decent octane in - not that 91 octane I understand you have to put up with in Ca.

No question about it - the Blues have da Power! :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts