Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery of a new 2002 EB Z06. I'm really looking forward to owning this car and getting it out on the track. Quick question... I get fairly frequent backfiring when letting off throttle. I assume this is from the car running rich. Is this normal? The car still has less than 200 mi. on it.

I also had the "Service Active Handling" message come up in the DIC. It went away, but I guess I should have it looked at. Anyone have this happen and if so, what was the cause.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
jrz1,

Welcome aboard, be sure and check all our features at left on the navbar.

Backfiring is reported commanaly in both the 01's and 02's an x pipe solves this tho most enjoy
service act/hand can come up and even say warming up read our owners faq as some are answered there

http://www.z06vette.com/faq.php

Have fun and enjoy..........

:cool:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :cool:

It's not actually backfiring per say. It's just back pressure and is completely normal. As Steve said, an X-Pipe will help eliminate most of this condition but not all. It's REALLY noticeable on an after market exhaust system. :eek:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. when it does "backfire" it sounds like a '94 RX-7 I used to own that was modified to put out around 375 h.p. Fast as sh_t (only 2800 lbs) but it eventually ended blowing up. I've also owned a '98M3 that was supercharged by Dinan (~ 350 h.p.) but this is far faster than the M3. Maybe not quite as well built or as good an every day driver, but much better balls out performance. It'll be nice to have a car that performs like this stock without voiding the warranty!

·
Registered
24 Posts
jrz1 said:
thanks. when it does "backfire" it sounds like a '94 RX-7 I used to own that was modified to put out around 375 h.p. Fast as sh_t (only 2800 lbs) but it eventually ended blowing up. I've also owned a '98M3 that was supercharged by Dinan (~ 350 h.p.) but this is far faster than the M3. Maybe not quite as well built or as good an every day driver, but much better balls out performance. It'll be nice to have a car that performs like this stock without voiding the warranty!
How did your 13B on the RX-7 blow? Lost compression, detonation or etc.?:-?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thread Hijack Warning...

Sometimes I think I am the only one that had a reliable RX7... had 4 years of track events on the (original) motor... running 12-14 lbs of boost... just couldn't kill the thing. Though it only made 320rwhp... not 375 :eek:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
If it is truly a backfire - a "kapow" loud bang that is not normal, get it checked. If it is more like a "blub blub blub" sound that is normal so enjoy it :)

Les

jrz1 said:
Just took delivery of a new 2002 EB Z06. I'm really looking forward to owning this car and getting it out on the track. Quick question... I get fairly frequent backfiring when letting off throttle. I assume this is from the car running rich. Is this normal? The car still has less than 200 mi. on it.

I also had the "Service Active Handling" message come up in the DIC. It went away, but I guess I should have it looked at. Anyone have this happen and if so, what was the cause.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Like he said, backfiring - NO GOOD

Burbbling (as z06ers call it) is OK

Welcome aboard:)

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I received a few compliments on the burbbling sound last night during upshifts on 0-75 runs I was doing for some friends. I really like how the car can idle so quiet yet sound so much like a race car when you are on the throttle! Everyone says it sounds so nice from outside the car.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yeah the 02 souns sweet when you step on it!
Kinda like magic! B&B's PRTs are nice and mellow at idle, but when you mash the loud pedal, WOW

:cheers:

·
Registered
670 Posts
And all this time I thought it was my wife backfiring! :eek: :lol: :eek:

·
Registered
128 Posts
My car definitely makes popping noises when the car is cold and I lift quickly off the throttle. No worry. I just pretend it's a rally car...

·
Registered
37 Posts
If i granny shift at 6500, it sometimes pops once out back. Nothing real loud or gun like, just more like a little firecracker. I love it, sounds great..... i wonder if my new stinger system will do that?

If I just get off the throttle from 6500 of course it makes the typical burble sounds which also sound cool.

Anyways, as far as the popping noise goes, I've driven several '02 Z's that all did it between hard shifts. Neither of the two '01 Z's I drove did it....... maybe it has something to do with the slightly more aggressive cam?

Either way, enjoy the lovely noises these cars make for us. It's all part of the experience! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts