Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked the car up on Friday and there was a light drizzle, so I really didn't notice the orange Peel. Detailed the car on Saturday and was astonished:( The entire car has orange peel .

Took it back to the dealership and the Service Manager agreed that it is was bad. The regional manager will be coming by this week to look at.

What course of action should I take ??

I will load some images later and let you guys decide if how bad it is

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Martin,

My heart goes out to ya, been there done that. I dont think pic's scanned and posted will show us much, but try??. There are a couple of routes to seek.
  • 1 meet w/owner/manager in charge
  • 2 Have body shop mgr in on all talks
  • 3 some states have consumer protect laws

In 1985 went thru all above any more info i can give "PM" me.......

Best of luck.......

:(

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Vetteless

Orange peel.
When looking at body surfaces from dif angles it appears as a bumpy surface. If you have it it is quite distenct depending on the severity................

Ps. Dont park next to one its contagious.............

:D :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
contagious.....wow I better watch out who I park next to at the mall, thats all I need is for my ford to get sick

·
Registered
132 Posts
Martin said:
Wait it gets better

Can't believe they let this car out the door of the factory let alone through dealer prep. What happened to QC at the plant?? I noticed some OP on my MY car as well but it is nowhere near as bad.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
OK you got me, whats orange peel???
This is orange peel:

Martin - I have the same thing, except the horizontal surfaces of mine are passable. My dealer was willing to repaint or attempt to buff. If you want a different car, be prepared to remove your gloves.

I've since looked at other cars, and orange peel is just the way these cars come. They all seem to have it to some extent, and of course no color shows it worse than black. I've learned to accept mine rather than do anything to it. You will be able to say "that's the way the factory made them"

*shrug* Anyway, you're not alone. I'll be following closely to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Martin, Sorry to hear about your problem. Keep us posted what your dealer and GM is going to due. I agree with the other posts, that should have never left the plant and the dealership.:eek:

FRC Tom, I am glad that my EB Z06 and a Corvette forum member 5thgeneration EB coupe was pulled for paint on 7/30. They where back on the line the next day and I have Zaino it with 4 coats and the finish is great :) I wasn't happy then for the delay but the outcome so far is great.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Go to a dealer and look at every new Corvette on the lot. I think you will find that they *all* have it. Look at the reflection of something like the dealership building in the paint.

These cars are all painted by robots, so I think they are pretty consistent.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pmontelo said:
Go to a dealer and look at every new Corvette on the lot. I think you will find that they *all* have it. Look at the reflection of something like the dealership building in the paint.

These cars are all painted by robots, so I think they are pretty consistent.
A black vert was delivered at the same time as my Z and I looked it over closely. There is OP but no where as deep as my car. We have the lemon law in this state, maybe it should have been the orange law :D :D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Martin - when I went back to give my dealer "what for" on my car, he just happened to have a black coupe on the show room floor. As luck would have it, this car's paint would have qualified it for National Acne Poster Boy - it was major bad. Kind of took some of the wind out of my argument. :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem:( After having many talks with GM over a paint issue the past few months I can tell you that they are going to do nothing more than paint it. If your dealer will accept some responsibility for not checking the car correctly then you might have some help there. GM will play good-cop.....bad-cop with you in talking to your dealer. So unless you want to go to court you will have to have GM paint it or just live with the flaw on a 50000 car.:puke:

·
Registered
61 Posts
How many, if any, museum cars had OP? Does the museum take the OP away best they can? Is the NCM delivery the best way to avoid OP? Thanks guys for your replies.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Martin,

Very sorry about your orange peel problem.Looks to be very bad.I don't know how the factory would let this car go out like that and not realize somebody would bitch like hell about it.Good luck to you,once again i feel it's totally unacceptable.:flaming:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I will have 2 friends look at my car before I take it, if there is too much orange peel I will be driving a Viper in about 2 weeks, I really do not want to do that but the only way the General will get the message is to start rejecting cars. :( I have seen less orange peel on Honda's that I have seen on Vettes lately and for 50k they have to fix the problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts