Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am having problem with my Z and I am looking for some advice. I am having a issue with the engine. It is running very rough at any RPM less than 2000. It will stall and die, when restarted it will run for a second or two then die like the MAF is unplugged. Once started and the rpms rise above 2000 (I hammer it) it takes off and runs fine. When I slow down again or lug in 6th it starts shutting down again.

To make it worse the problem is not constant, it will run great for 15-20 minutes then the problem returns. I am not getting any MAF codes. No check engine lights. The only codes I am getting are to due with the ABS. This is due to a broken plug on my ABS unit.

Any Ideas!!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Any mods on the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
headers, cold air intake.

This is a car I just rebuilt. It took a pretty hard lick in the front. I put the headers and intake on it during rebuild. The MAF is from a stock 03 c5. So I am thinking this could be the deal. It runs great at WOT but not so great otherwise. Whats throwing me is the problem is not constant......

How about a faulty TPS? However no codes or degraded modes.

thanks
mike

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Check the easy stuff first...

Post-maf intake/airbridge connections for leaks

Clean the maf wires and re-seat the cannon plug

Check the injector harness connections...these can cause strange problems if the connectors are dirty.

Check the o2 sensor wires and connectors...they've been known to melt and ground against the headers.

I'm sure someone else can chime in with more things to check.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Also, did you look up the part numbers to ensure that a 03 C5 uses the same maf as (I'm assuming) a Z06?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not believe the MAf from the Z and the 03 c5 are identical but I think they should interchange. I ordered a factory new MAF for the Z my cost $145. I intended on doing this anyway so why not give it a shot now. I will look for leaks and wires against headers tonight.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I was able to duplicate the problem I am having, I loosened the MAF to the point to where it would fall out with a little vibration. I went out for a drive and when the MAF separated from the intake tube it immediately began to stubble and fall on its face just as it has done intermittently in the past.

So this tells me it is either a bad MAF or bad wire to the MAF. I am replacing the MAF and I will check the wires for nicks and cuts.

Thanks
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts