Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only reason I can see is for noise control. Why not cut them out? If its for air direction, it makes sense to me to have the filter draw from every spot into the intake. :)

·
21,354 Posts
bobby778 said:
The only reason I can see is for noise control. Why not cut them out? If its for air direction, it makes sense to me to have the filter draw from every spot into the intake. :)
The air box cover is ribbed primarily for reinforcement. I've seen a few guys cut huge holes in them so they look like swiss cheese. If you want more air but don't want to hack your air box cover then do the zip tie mod.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29243

·
Registered
878 Posts
you can get a cut out air box lid from WCC..i have one-they cut the lid about 4"x8" opening i paid about $70 and it works great-good sound and probably 3 times the air.... :z:

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
To save my stock unit, I purchased a take-off air box and intake (less the MAF) from a forum member, opened the air slot wider and deeper, cut out a couple of the baffles, ... probably about doubled the intake area and put in a K&N filter. Put a hood seal on. Good to go. I might enlarge it some more later...

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The primary hole in the OEM airbox is too small for total airflow. The baffles/ribs on the inside of the airbox lid are to direct additional airflow of the hot air sucked in from the side of the box.

You can eliminate the hot air by sealing the bottom side of the airbox with closed cell foam and then opening up the front of the airbox to increase cold air flow. Then the interior baffles/ribs can be eliminated as well. You can also open up annd create new windows in the front lip of the filter tray.

Although many swear by the Zip Tie Mod I do not use it for a number of reasons
- it allows hot air into the filter
- it does not shield the filter from water leaking from the front hood seam.

I recommend using a front hood seal.

·
Registered
806 Posts
DennyM said:
To save my stock unit, I purchased a take-off air box and intake (less the MAF) from a forum member, opened the air slot wider and deeper, cut out a couple of the baffles, ... probably about doubled the intake area and put in a K&N filter. Put a hood seal on. Good to go. I might enlarge it some more later...
I did the same thing with a 98 air lid. Cut it just like WCC does theirs and cut 4 holes on each side. Painted it red and must say, it looks pretty good. I will try to post pics when I get home. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
If you don't like the lid, just remove it. Check the link jub posted.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I took the air filter lid off and flipped the rest of the air filter housing upside down. Then I traced the outline of the air filter housing and cut a hole in the plastic that ducts air up to the radiator. Now I have the stock filter element completly open to the air flow going to the radiator. Water from the top can't get to the filter and I have a cold air intake with no restriction to the filter. ;)

·
Registered
806 Posts
terry schulze said:
I took the air filter lid off and flipped the rest of the air filter housing upside down. Then I traced the outline of the air filter housing and cut a hole in the plastic that ducts air up to the radiator. Now I have the stock filter element completly open to the air flow going to the radiator. Water from the top can't get to the filter and I have a cold air intake with no restriction to the filter. ;)
:mug: That is a good dam idea!!! :thumb: I never even thought of trying something like that. Have you noticed a difference? Can you post some pics for us? :cheers:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I believe I can feel a difference but I'm not sure how accurate my butt-o-meter is. :lol:

With the air directly coming from the out side I can't see why it would not help some.

If someone can tell me how to post them I will take some pics. :z:

·
Registered
806 Posts
terry schulze said:
I believe I can feel a difference but I'm not sure how accurate my butt-o-meter is. :lol:

With the air directly coming from the out side I can't see why it would not help some.

If someone can tell me how to post them I will take some pics. :z:
To post a picture...
Go to "Concours" on the upper left hand side of this page. Log in on the top right hand side where it say's "Log In" with your ZO6VETTE user name and password. Then click "Upload Pictures" I believe that is what it says, upper right side. Browse your pictures and select what you want. Once you have selected your pics and downloaded, click on "My Gallery" and you will see the blod listed below. You must insert the entire url via copy and paste. It will look something like this........................................................................

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

Here goes. I hope this works. :D

Hey I did it!! :ity: Ok ok I confess if my wife weren't here I'd have never figured it out. :cool:

The top view is looking up from the front toward the rear of the car. The air dam is at the bottom & you can barely see the AC condensor between the air dam and the air filter. Complete with grass.
:z:

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think you have just motivated me on my next project!! Your set-up is very similar to the Hurricane deal. Where did you get the metal retaining clamps? Looks good. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Looks good ... :jammin:
Something like the aftermarket [Vortec??] air box ...
have you considered replacing the paper with a K&N?
Any issues in the rain?
What about a piece of window screen or ~ to keep grass and such from clogging the pleats?
:ity:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
DennyM said:
Any issues in the rain?
What about a piece of window screen or ~ to keep grass and such from clogging the pleats?
One of the reasons I would not go this way is that the design of the C5 makes this area like a vacuum cleaner. I have to go under and clean out the dog hair at least once a month. now if you are not getting lots of stuff collecting on your Ac condenser this might be a good mod for you.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
DennyM said:
Any issues in the rain?
I prefer the paper filter. I believe they filter better than K&N or other low restriction filters. I just change as needed and don't let them get too dirty. My car does not get driven in the rain. But I did get caught on the highway in a pretty good shower. I drove 60 mph for a couple of miles to an exit. I got out and the filter felt dry as a bone.

I was concerned about debris getting in the filter. I had driven the car though some grass last week to take some pictures. Last night when I took the pics I found quite a bit of grass in the top portion of the condensor but almost none in the filter. So it seems to be fine.

When you put window screen over any opening like a radiator or air filter it is very restrictive. The net free area is much less than the area of the opening. Imagine if you pushed all the screen wires together you would be blocking a lot of the total opening. ;)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
SGT Pyle--

The clamps were the most time consuming. they are made from aluminum angle. I can let you know what size & thickness I used. I fastened 2 pieces together with # 10 flat head allen screws and ny-lock nuts. They were just right to make a good compression to seal the air filter to the hole in the plastic. Except for the 2 top clamps. If you look closely at the clamp by the MAF you will see the aluminum is above the flat part of the filter housing. So I put some self stick black high density black weatherstrip foam to make a tight seal.

The angle is held on with 1/4" x 20 button head allen screws with a washer & lock washer under the head. To reinforce the plastic on the bottom I used the same angle but I cut one side mostly off to reduce weight but still be stiff. (I did this on all 4 sides to stiffen the plastic so the air filter will seal.) The long one you see at the bottom has a 3/16 pop rivet in each end since it only has one clamp in the center.

To have something for the button heads to thread into on the bottom I found something similar to molly bolts that compress. give me your fax # & I will send you some sketches so some of this will make more sense.

I was going to extend the air hose since the opening for the grommet is now on the passenger side. But instead I found a black flat plastic cap that pressed into the original hole. I cut a new hole for the hose with a hole saw so the hose stays on the driver side. I had to slightly trim some of the fins for the grommet to clear.

I slotted the clamps to clear the fins which was time consuming. I suppose you can trim the fins if you don't want to deal with slotting. I used stainless steel screws & washers so it won't rust. To change the filter you take out the screws holding the clamps and I take off the duct at the throttle body and it just lifts off.

I used a carbide blade on my table saw to cut the aluminum. It worked great. If I had used a hack saw I would still be sawing. :mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts