Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was having a problem with the torx head being "stripped" on the drivers side lower a-arm bolt while lowering the car.....went and bought a new lower a-arm and everything.

When I got home, I noticed that the bolt head has a HEX head in it, not a torx...so I got to thinking - ohh yeahh!! GM likes to f*@k with the customer, and put different stuff on the different sides of the car (from Fbody experience, this is rampant all through the damn car :mad: ).

So this morning I yank the front wheel off...and yup, it's a hex head, I didn't notice it yesterday because the hole was covered in WD-40, and I was ASS-U-Ming that it was the same as the other side (torx).

After laughing my ass off and picking myself up off the ground, it took me 10 minutes to pull it all apart and cut the bushing, and put it back together...car looks great now!

*Mental note - torx on passenger side, hex on drivers*

:D

:guiness: :guiness: :cheers:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yow! This sounds like one of those projects that has you dreaming of stuck fasteners and wrong sockets for a while.. Bet you're really happy to be done with it..

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only shitty part, I had to drop a $40 restocking fee when I returned the unused A-arm to the dealership.

I guess we'll call that a $40 "tuition fee"

:D :lol:

·
Registered
620 Posts
I had both of my lower control arms apart for the same reason.
Both sides were torx!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm.........

*shrug*

:guiness: :guiness: :guiness: and forget about it! :lol:

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
No Hex Here

I had my 2001 Z06 apart last evening, to clean the inside of the wheels. I like to explore things, and my lower A-arms both have Trox sockets inside the top of the ball-joint post, no hex.

Does anyone else clean the entire wheel? Am I crazy?

·
Registered
201 Posts
You're only crazy if you also spend the time to wax the inside of the wheel so that brake dust comes off easier... :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
With the brake dust that the '02 genrates, I have to clean the wheels every time I drive the car. Luckily I have small hands and can clean the wheels from the outside.

You're not completely crazy or OCD unless like one of my friends you must jack your car up when you wash it and clean the underside, and scrub the exhaust with an SOS pad.

Of course I will say that his cars are really clean, and his exhaust systems never rust out. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is anyone using Hawk HPS pads on their car? They don't squeal, have reasonable grip (compared to a track pad), and most of all, don't dust. I was considering switching if the stock pads dust badly. Don't know, since I'm still waiting for my TR Z to be delivered. :)

I had Porterfield R4 "track" compound pads on my '95 RX-7, and it stopped like throwing out an anchor. However, after a wash they'd turn the wheels black in about 4 stops (not much of an exaggeration) and they'd dust the side of the car too, through the brake vents on the fenders. They ate rotors, they squealed, and so I switched to Hawk HPS. No dust, no squeal, good bite... so I have an AP Racing 4-piston 14.0" front brake kit on the way with Hawk HPS pads, figuring I'll make up for the "reduced" bite with larger surface area. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've got Hawk HP+ pads coming soon, per recommendation from Heinricy. Hopefully I'll get to try them on the track this weekend in the dry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts