Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You wonder why car dealerships get a bad rap? This week I had two “bait and switch ” tactics pulled upon me by two different dealerships. A local Cincinnati dealer gave me a quote for a new ZO6 lease. After waiting 2 1/2 hours for the paperwork, I was advised that the quote was now $250 more per month! Sweet.

A Columbus dealership gave me a quote for a new C6 with the magnetic suspension I was interested in and the LT3 option. I confirmed both the stock number and the VIN number with the salesperson. After driving to the dealership the next day, I was informed that the quote was for a C6 with no options and that the car I was talking about was $158 more per month. The salesman I spoke to was not in the dealership. When the dealership called him, he played along with the game that he was talking about the car that the dealership was offering. Unbelievable.

My last five cars were in this order: BMW; Lexus; BMW; Infiniti; and BMW. With each transaction, the dealership did everything it told me it would do and the numbers were always as quoted by telephone. I therefore entered this adventure expecting the same type of straight up, honest dealings. I really wanted to buy American this time. Now I don't know.

One final comment. A mechanic at the Cincinnati dealership who apparently is involved in several Corvette forums told me putting a short throw shifter in a new Corvette was stupid. He said the shift effort was exceedingly high and that reverse was often unattainable. I told him that was not what I had read on the forums. He told me to live and learn.

So maybe I will read this forum with envy that others obtained an honest deal. As it now stands, I am going to contact some dealers who offer cars on eBay and see if I can do anything with them. Of course, it will be by e-mail with a confirmation faxed to me before I drive anywhere to execute the deal.

And I have to admit, I really like the new Corvette.

Enjoy your weekend. And thanks for listening.

Jim
:mad:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
If you're looking for a lease, you owe it to yourself to try LeaseCompare.com. They do a lot of Corvette leases and I can almost guarantee they will be cheaper than any quote you get from a dealer.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
sorry to hear about that. The good thing is that there are lots of dealerships out there to choose from...Just don't pick Maxie Price...they don't want to sell you anything!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I agree that some dealers don't know how to do business with an up-front, honest, serious buyer. Maybe you should finance through your own credit union? Don't use the stealership's financing. Good luck.

As far as the shifter: that's :bs:

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I think you may be suprised w/ the newer shifter on the 08. After you try it I thnk you may like it. On the C5 I agree it had to be changed and most did. I just bought an 08 and I'm very happy w/ the new shifter. Good luck w/ your deal ,it's a nice car for the money don't let a bad dealer deprive you of any fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all the input. Incredibly a local dealer that had given me a fair price on a base C6 has now made what appears to be a good one for a 3LT with Z51. It looks better that what LeaseCompare quoted. I think I will pull the trigger no later than Wednesday if these numbers stand. I will report back and give kudos to the dealer.

I do like the MGW shifter and George seems like the type of person one wants to deal with. I will drive the beauty for a while and then decide. However, I bet at my first oil change I will have one.

Again thanks and Happy Mother's Day just in case. I will report back.

Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
try indianapolis... there are some dealers there with a pretty extensive selection of vettes. pm me if you'd like some names of some pretty reputable guys.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
About the short throw.. Same thing here! My corvette mechanic said not to do it. I did it because it simply bolts in and bolts out. Do you know by the time it was all said and done he now recommends them to drivers that want a more aggressive feel. He told me the older vettes he didnt like a short throw but the new one he loved it! Remember its just 4 bolts and about an hour and you can go back stock!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Justpicked up my 08 C6. Local dealer came through with a sweet deal. Unbelievable car!!!!! And I am ordering the MGW shifter from George. I asked him if if was difficult to shift as a Corvette mechanic said it would be. He said his 65 year old receptionist with diabetes could shift it easily. You have to buy from a guy who tells you that.

Thanks for your suggestions and responses.

Jim

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Congrats on the new car. What color? What options?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts