Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, FedEx was knocking at my door this morning with the red bolt in Crow harnesses from LAPD. From my call to Shawn to my door was less than 48 hours. This is my second order from them (I got a CAGS defeat last year) and their customer service is second to none. Great job LAPD!

Anyway, I'm expecting to get the bolt in bar from Breathless this week (Ernie said they would have one last Friday but I have not been able to reach him) so stay tuned, I'll be installing this gear with a pictoral gallery and a review on both products very soon.

Here are some pics of the Crows. Note: cam is actually black, the flash hit it real bright. and the width is deceptive, the belts are standard 3". A nice touch is that they included enough length on the shoulder portions in case you need to convert it to wrap around. Nicely packaged and super prompt delivery from LAPD.

Keep an eye on this thread, I'll be posting pics of the bar details as soon as Ernie gets it to me..... hint hint Ernie! :) And for those that are wondering, these were NOT free, I chose these because of reasons stated in previous threads.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
5point vs 6 point...

...with stock seats.

First. Nice looking belts, very similar to Simpson's.

Make sure you use Grade 8 or better hardware and they are correctly attatched. You might want to reference the SCCA GCR's on installation methods.

Secondly I am going to assume that you still have the stock seats and will be retaining them. The 5 point antisub belt is made for a racing seat which has a slot just below your croch. The stock seat has a long lower thigh support which causes a 5 point antisub belt to not fit tightly in the croch. In rapid deceleration the loose 5 point antisub belt draped over the front of a stock seat will allow you to slide (submarine) about 4-7 inches before abruptly and painfully restraining you. when something goes wrong you just about get the "Awe" part of "Awe Shit" out before getting punched in the nuts!

You can easily modify to a 6 point antisub belt which is the correct set up for stock seats. If you are already using a racing seat, never mind. I just didn't want you to have a very rude awakening.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info, I think they have a Y thing that converts it to a 6pt for another 19 bucks or so......I'll look into that.......

JC

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
What Worm said! That would NOT feel good hitting that strap! Yipes! :eek:

Cool-looking belts, JC! Now, how does that cam work? Perhaps it's the flash, but I can't see the release mechanism. How does it release?

-Kirk

PS -- I've found that LAPD has the best service as well. Whereas I initially thought it was a fluke, it appears that they're fast and attentive ALL the time. Good for them!

·
Registered
141 Posts
The cam works by twisting the circular knob about 45 degrees in either direction. All the pieces come loose in your hand. It works great.

For stock seats, the 2 strap anti-sub belt attaches at the same point as the lap belts. You sit on the straps until they curve around your thighs and join together to snap into the bottom of the buckle. trying to attach them to the front of the seat won't work, as you will get the 4"-7" crunch in the testicles upon a sudden stop.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm confused... So with a 6 pt. the lower straps should not separate and go down the front of the seat? You sit on them and they go under your butt?? :-?

·
Registered
141 Posts
It is a little confusing at first. That's right, with a 6 point setup, the straps separate into a left and right strap at the buckle. But attaching the two straps to, say, the front seat anchor bolts would leave the deadly 6" to 8" gap before the belts would catch you in a crash. So you attach the ends of the anti-sub belts to the same anchors that your lap belts are attached to. the belts then run over the sides of the seat cushion, under your thighs, and then up between your legs, joining at the metal thing that clips into the buckle. It sounds strange, but I have mine set up that way, and it works great. Just make sure you have 3/8" grade 8 bolts holding those anchors together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts