Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, this is my first post here at Z06 forums. I am not fortunate enough to own a Z06 yet, I am a student. I currently drive a 1997 nissan 240sx (its rear wheel drive for those who dont know.) I added a turbo kit to the stock engine and went from a 16.4 q/m to a 14.1 q/m. Not the fastest car in the world, but lots of fun. If I got traction and replaced my stock exhaust mid 13's should be possible. I have about 230-240whp :thumb:

Sadly I over boosted, and poped a piston(broken ring lands).
I plan to rebuild and my goal is 500 whp. Should be good for a low 11 sec q/m.

But here is why I am writing to this forum. I would like to get another 240sx pre 1995 (to avoid problems with OBDII emissions) and drop a z06 motor in it with a t-56 tranny and either twin turbo it or super charge it. (I saw a mean Impalla 95' with a twin turbo pumping 1100 whp :D ) There a 2 240sx's that I know of that have been swaped an ls1 was used in one of them the other I am not sure if it was an ls1 or an ls6. (I get a bit confused with the engine codes)

Are there any wireing kits for the z06 motor? I like all aluminum construction and I hear that the engine is bullet proof. Would the engine require a rebuild to acheive these hp levels?

I love sleepers :coo:
Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What's up man? I had too had a '97 240 before my Z. Had an SR20 swap with a T3/T4, with 445whp on pump gas. ANYWAY, as far as i know, there are no kits for an LS1/LS6 240 swap, it'll all have to be custom.

While these are reasonably strong motors, they can't seem to make anywhere near the specific output that a rediculously strong 2.0L turbo motor can, so, expect 550-600whp to be the limit for the stock bottom end (for those that don't know, the 2.0L SR20DET Nissan motor can make 550-600whp on a stock bottom end).

I have heard of one person custom mounting a T56 to an SR20, so I imagine the tranny would fit in the S14 chassis OK. But you'd still need some custom mounts. I suppose you could always keep the stock S14 harness to run the accessories, and maybe run some autometer gauges or something similar for an LS series motor when you do the swap. Good luck man!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Actually, after re-reading your post, there's no reason you can't reach your HP goals on a built KA24, stock SR20 or CA18, it just depends if you're willing to accept a lot of lag with that setup. Or you can swap in a stock LS1, do an NA buildup with cam, heads, etc goodies, and make 450whp with ease. To do 500whp on a stock displacement LS motor, expect to do every bolt on possible, or go with a supercharger/turbo setup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wait, so you have no money for a z, but you plan to twin turbo it, which can often cost half as much as the car itself?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi BBaxR6,

Thats pretty cool, SR20's are defintly strong engines stock. I stuck with the KA for my 1997 because of the OBDII emissions tests. Yours must have been nice with 445whp. :jammin:

I want to keep my 97' a KA and drop the Z06 motor in either a 95' S14 or a s13......still undecided.

My hp goal for the 350 swap into a 240 is 800-1100 hp, it may be race only when I am done. I'll try to get me a sticker for emmisions testing, to drive it on the street.....hopefully.
I would perfer a turbo set up so boost can be turned down, for steet use. I will of course have full cage....it will be mostly race only.

I was looking for a Painless wireing kit or somthing like, (the whole harness) they make them for ls1's, but I have not seen any for the z06 motor yet.

Hi lopomon, (Is that Lakewood, NJ?)

Yeah the money part sucks, but I started planing my first 240 turbo in 1998 did not have the cash to do it untill 2000. I have only 8 more classes for my Bacholers degree in Electrical Engneering. I have not worked in 2 years, but I am looking for a job currently. I applied for a job a Lockheed Martin, but I am waiting for security clearence before they will interview me(goverment contractor) its suppose to be $60-80k a year starting. I hope I get it.....

So far cost would be:

$6200 for z06 crate motor from GM.
T-56 can be found for about $3000 or less
S13 high miles $500
plus another $20-25k for other odds and ends yet to be figured out. I dont plan on doing this over night, but over the course of the next few years in my spare time.

Here are some pics of an s14 with an LT1, I also saw an S13 with an 350 in person running at English Town race way NJ. It was a total sleeper looked stock, had stock wheels and was quiet and ran a 12.5 when I saw it.....

It may be too tight for twin turbos, may have to supercharge....but we will see.

I had pics of the s13 taken with a cell phone, but I cant seem to find them, if I do I will post them. I have more pics of the s14 if intrested.

So basicly the z06 motor will need a rebuild to support the 800-1100hp mark, I maybe better off using a ls1 or somthing?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hey 97TURBO240,

Congrats on the impending BS degree. I just had my last final yesterday for my BS in Aerospace Engineering, and it feels great!! Anyway, if you plan on making 800-1000hp on an LS motor, then it doesn't matter whether you start with an LS1 or the LS6 (Z06 motor). The LS6 is just an LS1 with different heads, different pistons material, different cam, etc. Basically, the things that are different between the two are things that you'd be changing anyway if you were going to build one up for lots of power. The 2001 and newer LS1 blocks are the same as the LS6 blocks, with cast in windows in the webbing in the block for oil vapor control, etc. So, you can start with a '01 or newer LS1 motor, do a set of beefy aftermarket heads, build the bottom end, and when you're done, it won't matter if you started with an LS6 motor or not.

If you do a '95 car, i'm pretty sure the OBD-II in '95 allowed for OBD inspections OR sniffer inspections for emissions compliance. '96 and newer required the OBD scan for emissions. Therefore, if you have a mild enough camshaft and keep catalysts on the car, you might be able to get away with an LS motor in a '95 chassis, if it passes the sniffer test. The most power i've seen a normally aspirated LS motor make and pass emissions is ~430-440whp. Basically that motor was headers, STOCK cam (since it's good for emissions), AFR heads (really nice heads) and one or two other bolt-ons. Incidently, if you put a procharger on a setup similar to that, with a built bottom end, then 650-700whp or more should be doable, and you **might** still get away with passing emissions. The good thing is, if you use a 2002 or newer Z06 cam shaft, you'll stay clean in the emissions dept, and that cam is blower friendly since it has significantly more exhaust duration than intake, i.e., it's well suited to a blower setup. In fact, a stock Z06 cam with some higher ratio rocker arms might make a nice setup.

But again, don't quote me on the fact that it will pass emissions. Making big power and passing emissions are generally mutually exclusive. As far as the wiring goes, I would do some research into the street rod/hot rod LS1 swaps, as they usually use a dedicated harness to put in an old chassis. I think one of those setups might be your best choice, unless of course you want to attempt to modify a production harness to work.

If you're going to build a motor, I would just try to find a motor set out of a firebird or a camaro with the harness and tranny and go from there. There's no reason to start with a brand new shortblock if you're going to build it. Just put a Z06 cam in a camaro engine, a set of heads, and the blower setup of your choice.

Also, a twin turbo setup seems viable, but it's usually much more expensive to do, just because all that plumbing and the limited space in an S14 chassis. However, turbos don't really affect emissions at all, so if you have a motor that will pass the sniffer N/A, then it should be fine with the turbos. Course, I suppose the same might be said about a centrifugal supercharger. Anyway, i'm rambing!!

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I know I'm getting older, but I don't understand why you don't just go buy a C5, Camaro or a Mustang. You'll look good. It's much easier to work on. And it will be more durable.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I think it great idea to put a V8 in your Nissan. You better beef up that rear rear-end with GM 12 Bolt. :pp:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts