Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

well, finally, GM found the problem with my car! Turned out, that there was a battery acid leak, it fried a few wires, and some sort of vacum hose under the battery. As engine temp rises, and with humidity or rainy conditions, this was messing up my engine, and setting off P0410 ..... making it run rich, and that was probably why my car would occasionally stutter/bog at higher rpms.

Anyway, they are fixing it right now, not under warranty unfortunately, they have to patch up the wires, and hose leak, no major parts to replace, just labour, i don't know how much it will cost me, a couple hours at least. The battery almost leaked into the computer!!!

anyway, here are the pics they sent me...

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Glad to hear they found the problem. I'd ask to speak to Regional GM Rep or his equivalent in Canada and see if they will fix it as a good will gesture. Seeing how this is a known and common problem. :cheers:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My car is a 2002. It had 21k miles when i bought it in april 2005.

The original owner had already changed the OEM battery in Nov 2004, with an aftermarket battery which is good, and does not leak.

The OEM battery must have leaked, so that is why he changed it, but I guess no damage was done at the time since it was stored for the winter and i bought it in april 2005, with the new battery already installed.

I spoke to my service rep, the guy is really cool, and he can't cover this under warranty because the warranty file on this car is closed (warrany expired jan 2005), plus I am the 2nd owner. Had the original owner changed the battery with a GM battery, he might have been able to do something. Ah well, I got this one in the teeth....

·
Registered
736 Posts
I thought they fixed this problem.

Don't 02 and newer have glass mat batteries that cannot leak?

·
Registered
487 Posts
one word - OPTIMA

·
Registered
475 Posts
agentf1 said:
Don't 02 and newer have glass mat batteries that cannot leak?
When the original gel battery went bad during the warranty period; Chevy replaced it with a 60 month acid filled battery. I was told the original gel filled battery had been discontinued.

Chas.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had my factory glass mat battery blow a cell internally during an autocross event two weeks ago. The car was out of warranty for 3 whole weeks. The dealership originally said they couldn't do anything but after a little persuading, they went ahead and replaced it because I was so close. I was also told the glass mat was discontinued and was given a premium old school acid battery which will find it's way onto my workbench. Red top Optima is in the car now :yeadog:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I remember this happening often when I owned my '99 coupe. The engineers were on an extended coffee break that day. I certainly am thankfull that it did not damage your main computer, but I still think that GM should be picking up this bill. The damage happened under the warranty period it just took time to actually affect performance.

I would raise h e double hockey sticks and position this as a responsibility of GM!

Good Luck!

:thumb:

D-Day

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, i just got the call from the garage, they fixed the car. It was a total of about 4 hours labour. They had to resolder a whole bunch of wires, and stuff like that, then they cleaned up all the acid residue, and sealed the whole spot with a rubber paint spray.

The service rep ended up charging me 3 hours labour, which came out to $300 CDN tax included (about $240US)

they also tightened some sort of seal on the rear diff that there was a small leak. I thought it was the simple seal that everyone talks about, but he said it was more than just the seal, and it could be a major tranny/diff repair. He told me to drive it for a few hundred miles and then bring it back to put it on the lift...yikes... this Z06 is costing me big $$$....

ah well, you got to pay to play!

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Sorry to hear about your prob, but could have fried the entire puter, big bucks.:eek:

Not that it pays for your repairs, but at least the cost was kept down as was the damage.

As said above, Optima to be safe.

Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts