Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked-up my 03 Z last Saturday and drove it 230 miles back from upper Wisconsin to Indiana. Had a great trip and enjoyed the car as if it was the first time I ever had gotten behind the wheel of any car :thumb: . I hadn't had a chance to drive it again until yesterday, and when I tried to start it, the starter chattered, and I realized the battery had drained. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. I put the charger on the battery and was able to bring the charge down to about 6 amps within a 15 minute time period. The car started and the charger dropped back to normal within a few miles.

First, it looks like my battery warranty was up after 12 months (read the warranty info).

Second, If the battery was going, or had gone bad, wouldn't the charger show a high charge for a much longer time, or not come down at all (cells gone)?? Is there another problem that might drain the battery? The battery looks brand new.

Third, I'm going to call the dealer I bought the car from and at least plead my case, but I doubt he will do a thing since the car was sold with the remaining warranty rather than a 30 day etc.. I noticed the radio time was off when I picked the car up, so I think the dealer had to have recharged the battery before I picked the car up. I think he knew the battery had died, but forgot to reset the time.

·
Registered
709 Posts
If it was the original battery on an '03, it's already past it's dependable life. Call it a loss and pick up an Optima .

Al

·
Registered
201 Posts
aclar said:
If it was the original battery on an '03, it's already past it's dependable life. Call it a loss and pick up an Optima .

Al
Agreed. Mine failed suddenly at 2 years. Optima is the battery of choice for replacement.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
These Batteries seem to have a life of there own. :lol: Good one moment dead the next. Do a search on Batteries. Also your battery should be under warranty 3/36. Some Dealers may try to prorate it. A lot of folks are big fans of Optima batteries I'm not one of them. :z:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
ATTENTION: Read the recent threads on Optima batteries going bad. Some have bought them and they won't hold a charge. Believe they have a real quality control issue right now. :mah: Spend an extra $40 bucks and get the Odyssey. :yeadog:

Bob :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all,

The Optima battery will probably be the next for me.

Update includes taking the battery to the local Chevy dealer where it was charged for an hour and then rechecked. The battery was fine and it seems it lost the charge over the Winter, as it had not been started for a month or so. I come to find out that because of the computers involved in the vette, the battery needs to be charged more often. I was told that because the charge was so low, the 10 amp charger I had would not charge the battery fully without being connected for MANY hours. I will buy a battery tender in the Fall to make sure the battery is always fully charged.

In other news, I finally had the weather to try "competitive mode" for the first time. OMG!!! I didn't realize what this car is capable of. All I can say is :jammin:. Traction control has its place, but what a difference :D .

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts