Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to start my 2002 Z06 and the battery is dead. My Z06 is only 2 1/2 years old. Is the battery covered under my new car warrenty?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Z06 Battery covered for 3 years.

Chas,

I just called the local Chev dealer and they ran my VIN # and will give me a new battery at No Charge. They also will have it jumped started at no charge because it is under 3 years old.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
596 Posts
You guts have nice dealers, when my Z battery died I called to see if it was a covered item,was told to have it towed to shop and it will be serviced. Fought off taking battery out of Bonnieville,put in Z and go for service,being the lazy bum I am ,went and got an Optoma red top.

GASH EB 02

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent Service today.

I just got back from Farrell Chevrolet in Spartanburg, SC and have a new battery (in less than one hour). Jeff Johnson the Corvette Technician jumped right on it and got it replaced it while I waited. He also replaced a module that controlled the windows and power mirrors, etc that must have blown due to the jump start or the alternator trying to run at between 14.5 and 15.3 Volts on the way to them.

Everything including the jump-start arranged by GM 1-800 Chev-USA was at no charge.

Wonderful service by Jeff Johnson and Farrell Chevrolet.

Dennis

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Wow! That's great service. :jammin:
Are you making this stuff up? ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cave Man,

No, I am not making this up. Good service needs to be recognized.

I know some other members of our Cross Flags Corvette Club in Spartanburg, SC rave about the wonderful quality of Jeff's Work. I have owned Corvettes since 1969 when I graduated from Engineering School and I know what good work is on my Corvettes. My first Corvette was a 1965 327ci/365hp which I kept for 18 years and sold it with 160,000+ miles on it. My second Corvette was bought new in 1987 and I kept it for 15 years and 120,000+ miles. The 2002 Z06 was purchased new in July 2002 and I will keep it a while also. When you keep Corvettes this long you know what good work is on your baby.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
They replaced mine at 34 months with no charge. The only problem is these batteries give NO warning. I had driven mine accross town and stopped at a store. Came back out a few minutes later and it would not even pop the trunk lid. Anything over 2 years and you are on borrowed time. It is best to replace them at 2 years and don't get stranded.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
My Z06 was bought new in August 2001 and it still has the original battery. Today I started the car and it was 3 weeks since the last time I fired her up. No battery tender either, she just fired right up. :thumb:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yes, the good news: it is covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile basic warranty.

The bad news: AC Delco batteries if you buy them ("non oem") are 7 year /75 mo?

My AC Delco oem battery gave out at app the 4.5 year/68,000 mile mark. NO warranty under the new car terms NOR pro rate! :mad:

Most of my previous batteries (non Corvette,and NON AC Delco) usually died at app 10 years.

I went with a battery at half the price with a 3 year free replacement and 100 mo pro rate.

Incidently the brand new battery cost 10 dollars less than the battery tender. :screwy:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
ruking1 said:
Yes, the good news: it is covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile basic warranty.

The bad news: AC Delco batteries if you buy them ("non oem") are 7 year /75 mo?

My AC Delco oem battery gave out at app the 4.5 year/68,000 mile mark. NO warranty under the new car terms NOR pro rate! :mad:

Most of my previous batteries (non Corvette,and NON AC Delco) usually died at app 10 years.

I went with a battery at half the price with a 3 year free replacement and 100 mo pro rate.

Incidently the brand new battery cost 10 dollars less than the battery tender. :screwy:
When I lived in the bay area, I thought very similar to you. However after spending far too many years out east, with long periods of snow on the ground, it has an effect on battery life. A battery tender is well worth it when your car sits for pro-long periods. :thumb:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
DA KAR said:
You guys should use a www.batterytender.com hook it up and your batteries will last along time,at leasr 5 yrs. I've been using them for years with never ever any battery issue's.
MAW (Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse) sells them for around 40.00 shipped :cheers:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Backlash said:
When I lived in the bay area, I thought very similar to you. However after spending far too many years out east, with long periods of snow on the ground, it has an effect on battery life. A battery tender is well worth it when your car sits for pro-long periods. :thumb:
I can definitely understand your feelings especially since you live in PA(real cold) . I lived in upstate NY (COLDER) for a number of winters. MD also, but that is wuss town as far as cold is concerned. The battery I had at the time was an VW oem and it sat 24/7 outside (I had no garage) during those winters. I did not have a battery tender.

While I have driven the Z06 in the snow (high altitude, sort of like the American Alps) Pagosa Springs CO, I would not recommend it!!! So yes if your Corvette sits outside 24/7 in the snow, I would definitely get a battery tender.

Here in the bay area, the Corvette sits in a max low temp of a 60 degree garage in the "dead" of winter" :) So in that sense the battery showed itself to be even wussier, especially given the fact that the longest time between drives is like 3/4 days. The drives are usually all freeway and at least 100 miles.

But to be fair, 4.5 years might be very normal for an AC Delco battery. (or even the replacement battery I got for it) However my less than scientific guess is: NOT.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts