Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question I actually asked on corvetteforum and I thought I'd pose here. Anyone from the Bay Area have a place they would recommend to do some installation work, specifically the long tube TPIS headers, on a Z06? She's my gal and no harm should come to her if you know what I mean. And by the way, is there anything that should be installed at the same time as the headers? Thanks!

- Tim

·
Registered
146 Posts
NDOMTUS,
Hi there! I got mine(TPIS long-tubes)installed at a place called Corvette Connection in Campbell. Ask for a fella named Kevin, and that Tommy, the guy yellow Z sent ya. He does excellent work and will treat your baby with TLC!! Good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

On 2001-08-09 01:52, streetracer spewed forth this drivel:
NDOMTUS,
Hi there! I got mine(TPIS long-tubes)installed at a place called Corvette Connection in Campbell. Ask for a fella named Kevin, and that Tommy, the guy yellow Z sent ya. He does excellent work and will treat your baby with TLC!! Good luck!!!!!

Hi streetracer,

Thanks so much for the response! I think I may just give them a call and see what they can do. Would you happen to have their number handy? Ball park on how much and how long the install takes? Much appreciated!

By the way, how do you like the TPIS long tubes?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
NDOMTUS,

I had my stock rod bolts replaced with Katech bolts when I had the TPIS headers installed. The oil pan needs to be removed to install the headers, which allows the bolts to be changed out. Also, if you go this route its wise to replace the pan gasket.

Bolts cost me $160.00, and that included overnight delivery. Katech bolts look beautiful-reeking of quality. Stock bolts look like something you would buy at a hardware store.....even the mechanic was impressed.

Why change out the bolts? Katech(They specialize in building racing engines-like the C5R 427 engine) has found, thru testing, that the weak link in the bottom of the LS1/LS6 engine is the rod bolts. It seems to me that if your serious about mo power, it's cheap insurance. Also, Chris at Katech said they have tested an LS1 for 24 hours at a steady 7200rpm with no bolt failures. Obviously, this was not a stock LS1.

HTH!!

01ZEE06
Barry /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
146 Posts
NDOMTUS
Hi Again! Sorry, but I don't have their # handy. You might wanna try 411. As far as pricing goes, it's gonna run you anywhere from $400-450. Install takes somewhere between 6-8 hours at the most. Finally, I absolutely love the my TPIS!! You will definitely feel a difference in power, and will not be disappointed!!! Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it looks like Im finally gonna make the jump to the TPIS long tube install and wanted to say thanks streetracer for directing me to Corvette Connection. I spoke with the guy named Kevin and he was pretty helpful and definitely remembered ya. He mentioned that the install of the headers, in removing the precats, also requires 2 bypass devices for 2 of the 4 O2 sensors. Have you (or anyone) had ANY problems with Check Engine light or anything after there install? I would like to have this go as painless as possible. Any horror stories?

Also, I'd love an opportunity to see your mods on your vette streetracer if you wouldn't mind meeting up with me some time before I have mine done. You name the place and time, and I'm there. I would TOTALLY appreciate it.

One more question, will this effect warranty?

Thanks! :guiness:

PLEASE REDUCE THIS SIG TO MAX 450x60 and 15K -JC

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NDOMTUS, I don't know if I'll have my new Z anytime soon, but I'd like to join you for a meeting of Bay Area owners. I live in San Jose and work in Sunnyvale and could certainly make myself available most any weeknight and certainly on weekends.

I believe you guys are talking about Kevin Ireland at Corvette Connections. We use to be in the same Corvette club several years ago. Maybe you could arrange for us to visit this shop in Campbell for the meeting. I'd be curious to check it out myself and would like to inquiry about some work to my LT4.

BTW, are those chromed or polished wheels on your Z06? Hard to tell in the pic. They must look real nice on a black one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dsinned said:
NDOMTUS, I don't know if I'll have my new Z anytime soon, but I'd like to join you for a meeting of Bay Area owners. I live in San Jose and work in Sunnyvale and could certainly make myself available most any weeknight and certainly on weekends.

I believe you guys are talking about Kevin Ireland at Corvette Connections. We use to be in the same Corvette club several years ago. Maybe you could arrange for us to visit this shop in Campbell for the meeting. I'd be curious to check it out myself and would like to inquiry about some work to my LT4.

BTW, are those chromed or polished wheels on your Z06? Hard to tell in the pic. They must look real nice on a black one.
dsinned, what color Z did you order? I'm assuming 2002 Z06.

I havent heard back from streetracer yet but I would still like a chance to see the headers on in real life. Anybody locally have them on?

I've been doin some checkin and it appears that there are 2 types of coating for these headers as well, the jet hot (which I believe is the ceramic coating) and the stainless steel. This is second hand information so please correct me if I'm wrong. Any recommendations on which is better? A problem I had with some headers on my old camaro was burnin through spark plug wires from hot pipes. I'm hopin the coatings will aleviate this problem for either coat type.

With the warranty issue, I believe it will be ok, but it all depends on your dealership.

As for my wheels, there actually stock, but I keep em nice and clean.... :cheers:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
streetracer said:
NDOMTUS
Hi Again! Sorry, but I don't have their # handy. You might wanna try 411. As far as pricing goes, it's gonna run you anywhere from $400-450. Install takes somewhere between 6-8 hours at the most. Finally, I absolutely love the my TPIS!! You will definitely feel a difference in power, and will not be disappointed!!! Good Luck!!!!
Just had to say..THANKS...to streetracer for the recommendation. They did a great job, and one very happy individual.

:D :D :D :cheers: :D :D :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts