Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While ungodly expensive, the fitment of a BBS 3-piece wheel seems endless.

Are these wheels too fragile for the highway?

Or, is a 2-piece BBS wheel or Fikse's a better choice regarding durability?

Many thanks for any wisdom out there.:yeadog:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
It depends on which BBS you get.

You can get the 3 piece with forged Al. center section 5 lug and Al. barrels OR

You can get them with a Magnesium center section in 5 lug or single lug and Al. barrels

The Magnesium center section wheels will be more fragile and more expensive.

The Aluminum center sections are appropriate for street use. I would only use the Magnesium center sections on the track. Note that Pratt & Miller switched from these wheels to OZ with Magnesium centers on the C5R as they found the BBS had too much side flex while cornering

Although not as pretty, if you want a race wheel with Magnesium centers Jongbloed's are a more cost effective alternative.

I should note that I ran my DyMag Special Magnesium wheels on my Callaway for many years on the street with no problems. These are one piece cast Magnesium. But I was real careful with them. They never see the streets now as they are so hard to get and so valuable...like $3,500 per wheel !!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
DJWorm said:
I should note that I ran my DyMag Special Magnesium wheels on my Callaway for many years on the street with no problems. These are one piece cast Magnesium. But I was real careful with them. They never see the streets now as they are so hard to get and so valuable...like $3,500 per wheel !!
I have to ask... after spending that much on a wheel can you honestly say you could feel the difference in rotational weight??

I know the times were lower if you ran them, I am asking about what you can feel behind the wheel.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Absolutely, the 9.5x17 fronts weigh 8.5#'s and the 11x17 rears 12.5#'s. Not only will the car accelerate faster it will stop better. In addition handling is much impproved and is much more responsive and Lock to Lock steering takes less effort.

You can run lower spring rates and lower shock Bump and Rebound settings.

BTW when I purchased the car in 1990 the wheels cost $750 for the fronts and $950 for the rears or $3400 a set. They now go for over $12,500 a set and may be scratched, or damaged.

These have a ZR1 offset but will fit on a C5 with a 1/4" spacer plate used in the front for Caliper Clearance and will stick out 1 1/2" in the rear. They looked good on my Quicksilver Z06 and the color was almost a perfect match.

I know that DyMag is producing a Carbon Fiber racing wheel for the Lotus Elise competing in the Japanese Touring Series. I am in contact with my English sources with a request to make these for the C6 Z06. We are waiting on Goodyear, Hoosier, Kuhmo and the SCCA to see what size tires will be available and allowed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts