Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need your expert advice. I have a built z06 with a Vortech supercharger boosting about 14lbs of boost. Car pushed 700hp to the rear wheels. Started having problems with the belt coming off the supercharger. When I first got my car back i had no issues. The only thing I did was change the alternater. They machined the aftermarket alternater so the pulley would align. But this is the third time I'm going to do the serpentine belt. I currently have an upgraded 6rib pulley set. Do you guys recommend a flip drive? And if yes who makes the best flip drive and what em I looking at price wise and price for someone to install? Do I have to retune?

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
Yeah Mike threw a few belts in his day :lol:

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Sorry guys, I've been out of town for the last week or so....

First off, I am not as familiar with the Vortech blower as I am the Procharger so keep that in mind.

I did assist one of our members (remember Terrence??) when he kept blowing the belt on his Vortech during the drags at the fest one year and changing the belt out was much harder with his Vortech than with my Procharger (which I changed on several occasions unfortunately) :fpalm:

As for the flip drive setup from HPE, I am not all that familiar with that multi-belt system though I have heard it is easier to install a cog drive for the blower belt after going with the flip.

My advice before spending a grand on a flip drive would be to install an 8 rib system with the appropriate pulleys and then, after making sure you have a heavy duty tensioner with the belt properly tensioned, get the tuner to do a laser alignment before he retunes ..... [and yes, dyno tuning would be appropriate after the swap either to an 8 rib system or a flip drive (or cog drive)].

Btw, a cog drive is the best option for continual strip use but it is noisy as all get out on the street so be sure you really want to go that direction before committing.

Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now if I was going to upgrade to an 8rib does that mean it's just the pulley on the supercharger or do I have to change every pulley? I also like the idea of a Cog-Drive but could you explain to me exactly what that is? Sorry first time I here of a cog drive.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Now if I was going to upgrade to an 8rib does that mean it's just the pulley on the supercharger or do I have to change every pulley? I also like the idea of a Cog-Drive but could you explain to me exactly what that is? Sorry first time I here of a cog drive.
You change out all the effected pulleys for an 8 rib. I'm sure Vortech has a kit for this.

How should I describe a cog drive?

Here's one definition.....

A cog belt is a high-performance belt used in applications where slippage or failure must be avoided. Made of rubber with cogs or nubs running all along the inside of it, the cog belt is designed to interlock with grooves or notches on the drive pulley. This interlocking design allows the cog belt to operate without slippage even at high engine speeds. Much like a chain and a sprocket, the cog belt can turn engine accessories without the fear of failure or slippage traditional rubber V-belts — or fan belts as they are most commonly called — are known for.

A byproduct of using a cog belt drive system has become a sought-after sound in the world of hot rod and high-performance automobiles. The telltale whistling sound emitted from a cog belt-driven blower induction system on an engine is created from air being caught between the belt and the pulley on the blower. Some enthusiasts choose to drill small holes in the drive pulleys on these systems in order to let the air escape and quiet the whistling. Alternatively, others choose to run an even wider drive belt system in hopes of trapping more air and increasing the volume of the whistling.
Mike

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Here's a partial picture of a cog drive system:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I switched to an 8rib they got the alignment perfect and everything seems to be going perfect. Thanks for the help and the knowledge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts