Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best brake fluid. I do about 4 events a year and drive the car on the street also. What is the best brake fluid and where do I get it? thanks,Buzz

·
Registered
412 Posts
SRF is the best no doubt, but Motul 600 will be more than good enough for your needs, and cost quite a bit less than the SRF.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
For 4 events per year and if you do not wish to do a full flush every event, maybe try ATE Typ 200 (equivalent to Super Blue, but it's gold). Then just bleed after each event.

If you want to change a bit more frequently, get Motul 600. This also applies if you are advanced or instructor, but if you are novice or intermediate, Typ 200 should work fine with bleeding once in a while and a full flush at the beginning of each track year.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Motul 600 - absolutely. It has the 2d highest boiling point to just the SRF and is only $11-13 per bottle. It gives an outstanding brake pedal feel too. Great stuff!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Nobody has mentioned warranty requirements- DOT III vs. DOT IV??????????

Of course, the question was which is best! That is well answered.

Just my .02.

:)

·
Banned
809 Posts
DA KAR said:
Does the SRF need to be flushed every 18 months on a street car.
I would say yes because the DOT4 fluid is more Hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) than DOT3 fluid that people usually use for street cars. You'll want to flush it to get the water out of the brake system.

Rosso -- I don't think you have to worry about warranty problems if you use DOT4 fluid unless your dealer is a real ball breaker. How would they know anyway? Test the fluid?

Sal

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
salvador said:
Rosso -- I don't think you have to worry about warranty problems if you use DOT4 fluid unless your dealer is a real ball breaker. How would they know anyway? Test the fluid?

Sal
Pretty much a no brainer for them if you use ATE Super Blue.

As a note, I switched from Motul RBF 600 to Wilwood EXP 600 Plus, which has 626F dry, 417F wet and costs about the same as Motul.

As mentioned above, the owners manual requires a DOT III fluid. Most of the fluids mentioned above are not DOT III.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Subdriver said:
Pretty much a no brainer for them if you use ATE Super Blue.

As a note, I switched from Motul RBF 600 to Wilwood EXP 600 Plus, which has 626F dry, 417F wet and costs about the same as Motul.

As mentioned above, the owners manual requires a DOT III fluid. Most of the fluids mentioned above are not DOT III.
Well.. That's a given. If I were worried about warranty issues with the brakes, I wouldn't use Super Blue. I'd use the Amber 200 or another brand.

Sal

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
salvador said:
Well.. That's a given. If I were worried about warranty issues with the brakes, I wouldn't use Super Blue.
But, I know someone who did use the Super Blue and the dealer did tag his brake system for no further warranty work... :(

·
Banned
809 Posts
Subdriver said:
But, I know someone who did use the Super Blue and the dealer did tag his brake system for no further warranty work... :(
That's good to know. It seems obvious to me not to use a blue fluid if you're worried about your warranty, but someone might not think of it.

Don't use ATE Super Blue if you're worried about your warranty. If you want to use ATE, use the Amber instead.

Sal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts