Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done a comparison of brake pads for auto-x?

I need a more aggressive pad that does not need to be warmed up first.
I've used porterfield in the past but have found that unless I drag the brakes around the paddock immediately before seeing action, the grab is unpredictable.
:usa:
I have no experience with Hawk or Wilwood but have seen nothing published.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Check Carbotech. I've heard good things about them.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I am running Hawk Street Race pads, they are awesome, but squeal too much for full time use I've learned. I plan on keeping for the track. Awesome initial bite.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I use Performance Friction Z Rated pads. They are much better than typical OEM pads (altho I must say the stock Z pads were very good). I go to DEs, but do not compete at 10/10ths as some here do. I also like PF because they have a lifetime warranty which I have used many times for my other Vettes. I used to compete in Solo I, but like DEs better. They are available at AutoZone. FWIW Good Luck :usa:

·
Registered
267 Posts
For AutoX, I like the Hawk plus, high initial bite and will not fade when doing hot laps. For track use, you need a Hawk 10 or above pad. High performance brake pads come in two different styles; linear and progressive. The Hawk Plus pads are linear--high initial bite from lite brakes to hard brake. Other pads are progressive--the harder you push the faster you brake. PFC, carbotech and others make similar pads.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
KFP Gold Magnum Racing Pads. KFP is the antecedant Co. of Cool Carbon of F1 & Prototype Endurance Racing. Located in Canton, Ohio

These are immediately effective at cold temps, have a good bite and excellent release with a broad heat range.

They have moderate torque and modulate well.

They are a Kevlar/Carbon Pad.

They have a Ceramic backing plate built into the pad.

Consequently they are excellent street pads as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody.
I decided to go with the Hawk plus pads on the rear and Hawk 8's in the front.

They have awesome bite but do require a minimal warm up for the best bite on the first lap.

They grab so well, I am now having trouble with braking too early because I don't expect the car to be able to stop that quick.

Oh well, just another adjustment I will need to make in my driving style.

:yeadog:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts