Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the best brakes to put on the z with big power, rotors ,calipers and pads. Something that wont interfere with the oe wheels

·
Registered
407 Posts
What are spacers and are they included with the LGM Wilwood brakes?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I would say just go with a good slotted rotor, good pads, and good fluids. If your intent on the OEM wheels, and just want braking performance, I did the above and the change in braking is tremendous.

·
Registered
971 Posts
You might want to fish through my old posts for what I did, very similar to PowerPro01's street/race car(One Lap Car featured in Vette Magazine this month).

That race is 5,000-7,500 miles and that car runs a 315 front tire. The primary difference between my car and the above; I used 13" Porsche Rotors with KVP pads, where as they are using a cyro rotor(both are proven).

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am also trying to decide on brakes for the Z. Is is there much difference on the track between the stock size and big brake kits (given track pads and fluid in both)? To go to the bigger brakes would be about $4-5,ooo plus I would need to get 18" wheels too. Input from those with track time would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a set of Surestop rotors, which I buy from Speed inc. I've noticed with their new upgrade to their web site, that they no longer have these rotors listed.

My question is- will these surestop rotor's which I think are oem spec or 13 inch rotor's, work with the Wilwood (LGM front 6 piston kit) work with these rotor's. My issue is with the thickness of the rotor's, which I do not know the spec's... I understand the Wilwood pad's are thicker than the oem Z06 pad's. Currently I'm running with the Hawk street pad's which are very good and less dust.

Will this set-up work without any issues at all. I'm also thinking of upgrade the rear oem brakes with stainless lines. Should I change the rear brake pads also to the Wilwood pads or can I keep the Hawk rear pads.
As a side note, can I keep using the Hawk pads with the Wilwood kit (ofcource I'll get new pads, I really like these Hawk pads).

If I keep the current rotor's, is it necessary to turn the rotors with the replacement pads and front Wilwood kit.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The Wilwoods fit a 1.25" thick rotor x 13" I run stock rotors NAPA 25 ea. The pads are a different shape so any stock pad won't work. The pad shape is #7420 actually probably has less area than stock pads. Don't let that fool your the stop all the time and I get the rotors GLOWING. Pad is very common on many race cars and they are cheap and last way longer than stock. Many compounds available from many manufactures. I think Wilwood or PFC are the best. I run spacers in the front that CCW made with longer ARP studs. There is no problem running a GOOD spacer later Z06 wheels don't need the spacer at all. Front piston size is the same volume on stock and Wilwood caliper. Wilwood SS lines are nice. You can also get Therm-lock pistons to reduce heat. Shims and mica pads reduce heat and keep the pistons in the bore as the .80" thick pad wears if you are racing. The pads are easy to swap at the track by removing one small bolt on each wheel and sliding in new pads. You can sway street and race pads very easy. Finish on the calipers has held up great also. You can order from 8-10 colors if you like for a minimal charge. I looked at the more $$$$$$$ setups but didn't want the rotor replacement cost of 250 :cry: vs. 25. The Wilwoods fit 17" wheels like the GS wheels. The stock calipers and race pads would last me 500 miles. The Wilwoods last 1500+ and feel the same at the end as the beginning. Do the math 30%cheaper pads that last three times longer. You can probably finish your Hawks in the reat then get the same compound for both front and rear.

john

·
Registered
407 Posts
if i keep my current rotor's in the front, do i need to turn(machine) the rotors at the same time as I'm installing the Wilwood and using Wilwood pads? Or is it ok just to install the Wilwood calipers and pads.
Does LGM 's kit for $1400 have the Therm-lock pistons or just the stainless steel pistons...I do not race, but I'm planning on doing this later this summer...
My current Surestop rotors are cross drilled and slotted- i know cross drilled is not the best for road racing, but are they better or the same as the stock oem rotors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts