Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Z06 last week, and I need a car cover for it ASAP. I do have a garage for it, but she'll be outside when I'm at work and want to provide as much protection from the elements as possible.

Can anyone recommend a good cover? Can I get one specifically designed for the Z06? If so, where? Are there any Corvette shops in Houston that my have them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Noah makes great covers.......personally though, I never cover my car unless it has just been washed

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I would never cover a dirty car. The paint is very soft, and will scratch easily. Drive the car 100 feet, and it's dirty. Let it get dirty at work, wash it when you get home. Use lots of Zaino or other good polish, tint the windows, get a sun shade for the windshield, and you should be good to go.

For inside only covers, I use the tan flannel by CoverCraft.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Eckler's sells a nice fitted (mirror pockets) cover in Noah for around 150.00 :cheers:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I bought a Noah Custom Fit Cover from a place I found in the Hemmings Motor News: http://markii.com/covers/index.php

It ran me $158 + $10 shipping and it took 3 weeks to get it. I've had the cover all winter and it has yet to blow off. I am very happy with it. My Z is outside the garage until I sell my 63 Impala SS to free up a slot in the garage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the info. I do plan to keep the car clean and with several coats of Zaino. My main concern is the long-term effects of the sun and rain (and God-forbid hail) on the finish.

I do know not to cover a dirty car, so if it were to rain on the way to work, I wouldn't cover it. But, if you guys think I shouldn't keep it covered at work (even in good weather) then I'll re-think my plan.

About how many coats of Zaino will it take to provide sufficient protection?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
For me Zaino only takes less than 30 minutes or less to do (on and off). I Zaino my car often (I'm not normal). I would say a couple of intial coats then once a month. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
NewFoundPower said:
About how many coats of Zaino will it take to provide sufficient protection?
Well, asking this group as to how many coats is a loaded question. There are people here that appear to have made applying Zanio (or any polish or wax) their mission in life... :p

I usually shoot to get on around 5 coats at the beginning of the season and try to add a couple of month after that. The beauty of Zanio is it wears well, so if you skip a month or so, it isn't that big a deal.

Good Luck and congrats on the new Z.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Get the Noah! It's the best. :thumb: And as far as covering it wile you are at work, I thought I would do the same thing but that quickly became a pain in the butt. The last thing I wanted to do was put a wet cover in the back of my car! Now I just cover it on the weekends and when I wash it. If you can stay motivated to cover it every time you park it, I say good on ya!! :jammin:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Oh No...

My heart is about to stop... it's hailing outside right now. I've had the car for 4 days!!! :flaming: :( :flaming: :( :flaming:

EDIT: I just checked on her and she seems to be OK. Hopefully the rain will stop long enough for me to get her washed and waxed this evening. whew.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Buy a Noah cover! My Z06 is in the garage at home and under the cover at work everyday. Just make sure to invest in a California Car Duster to use every few days to clean off the road dust before covering. :coo:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great Car Cover

I've had my 0'4 Z06 for just 1 month now and one of the first things I did was purchased a Noah Car Cover, though it's in my garage the cover is on at all times.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Noah here, too. Easy to use, all weather--inside or out.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Congratulations on the Z and welcome to :z:
Noah.
I have a SOS if you want to PM.
Agree with above on covering after driving.
Rain is not the enemy of your car out. Sun is.
If I took mine to work regularly, I'd get one of those greenhouse covers to keep sun out and keep it cool.
FWIW. :idea:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the congrats everyone, it is definitely an amazing car. :coo:

SGT. PYLE makes a good point about not wanting to put a wet cover in the back of the car; something I certainly don't want to do either. Right now I'm getting the message that as long as I keep a lot of wax on it, I don't need to cover it every day at work.

Are there any benefits or any other reason to buy a cover using any of the fabrics that are more expensive than the Noah? I wouldn't mind spending the extra money as long as it was worth it, but at the same time I don't need to buy something more expensive without good reason.

Although nothing happened to the car yesterday (I waxed it last night to make sure I could check it out in detail), the *minor* hail storm nearly gave me a heart attack, and I'd rather be prepared if something like that happens again. How thick is the Noah, and would I be better off with something thicker just for that reason?

Is Mark II Enterprises the manufacturer of the covers were are discussing, or a distributor?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Mark II was a distributor I found. If you're willing to wait 3 weeks then I say get it from them. I checked a few other places and they appeared to be the cheapest. I had a question after ordering from them and they replied to my email w/in a few hours.

I checked the usual local places (PepBoys, Walmart, etc) and they only had the generic fits-all covers. I had one of these types for my 97 TA WS6 and it was always blowing off the car...reall pain in the @$$. :mah:

The best way to go is an exact fit cover IMO. The Noah is 3 layers. As far as thickness goes I'd say it's slightly less thick than a normal piece of card board. Unless it is a heavy down pour the water does not appear to get to the paint.

The cover rolls up easily and usually gets put in the trunk. Mark II has a storage bag as well for a few bucks. I carry the California Car Duster with me and just do a quick dust off prior to covering the car at night. A few coats of Zaino make the dusting much easier as well.

Our 70 degrees here in NJ yesterday turned into 2 inches of snow and 20 degrees right now so the Z is all tucked away under the Noah cover.

Good luck,
Pat

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DennyM said:
Congratulations on the Z and welcome to :z:
Noah.
I have a SOS if you want to PM.
Agree with above on covering after driving.
Rain is not the enemy of your car out. Sun is.
If I took mine to work regularly, I'd get one of those greenhouse covers to keep sun out and keep it cool.
FWIW. :idea:

What is an SOS and what is a greenhouse cover? Is that the thing that looks like a bubble that you can keep the car in?

Z06Pat - I agree about the exact fit cover. Since I'm going to do this, I want to do it right and not just buy something cheap that isn't going to help me at all. How much do you keep your cover on?

I do have a California Car Duster that is getting a lot more use lately. :)

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
SOS = Source of Supply ... I got a fitted Noah cover for the Z and also got a fitted Evolution 4 cover for my Saab 9-5 Wagon from a internet-based source at a competitive price.

Greenhouse cover is the mini-cover for the top. It covers the glass down to the beltline. Usually you see them in catalogs and on web sites that offer a range of covers. :idea:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Denny, I sent you a PM.

Why would you use a greenhouse cover instead of a regular one? Any links with pics?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts