Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is John I'm new. :)

I have a Camaro but my brother just got a Quicksilver 2001 Z06 and now has about 500 miles on it.

I was thinking of getting him some kind of a cold air induction for Christmas.

My question is which one do I get?

I'm confused.Do I get a T1,Sidewinder,Tric etc..etc..What's the difference?

p.s I don't think he is willing to cut up his car and it will be driven in the rain as this is his only car.Which one do you guy's recmmend?

My money is in your hands. :D

Thanks
John

·
Registered
572 Posts
As far as I know, all "cold air" units require cutting the shroud. The sidewinder is not a bottom feeder and doesn't require any cutting. It's also a nice looking unit. As for which is best....hehehehe.... not an argument I'm going to get in the middle of. I would think they all do a good job. Halltech makes good products, and so does K&N and Donaldson. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on guy's 86 views and only 1 reply.

I know alot of you guy's put on some kind of cold air induction.

Anyone else with any info.

Thanks again
John

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Vortech396 said:
Come on guy's 86 views and only 1 reply.

I know alot of you guy's put on some kind of cold air induction.

Anyone else with any info.

Thanks again
John
Sorry John I am under a gag order on this subject.:lol:
Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will get some answers soon.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had a Vortex and just switched to the T-1 Sidewinder. I drive my car a lot and was afraid of getting caught in a big rain.

If you don't want to cut the shroud get the Sidewinder. I think it's as close to a real cold air setup as you'll find without cutting the shroud.

I haven't swapped a normal shroud back in mine yet...I'm thinking of leaving it cut so the Sidewinder gets more cold air. But since the filter isn't hanging below the shroud, I don't think I'd suck up any water unless it's DEEP and I wouldn't go through water like that. Best of both worlds? :)

The Sidewinder looks killer too.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Sidewinder V>S> Vortex

Seems, most folks opt for one or the other.......
And dyno results seem to have both producing between 10/18 H.P. gains (over stock)............
The 10 H.P. figure, I got from a tech at Speed Works, they install the Vortex.........
Halltech, claims more.....and shows dyno results to back it up........
I , personally am on the fence at present........I am leaning towards the Sidewinder........the bottom sucker, is TOO CLOSE to the ground( Texas), and it rains TORRENTIALLY here almost all spring, and a good part of the winter.....NO BUENO.....
Also, I have a steep drive way ramp.....and the filter would be a "maybe", on living for very long..........:(
If price is a consideration.......the the Vortex, is less $$$$.......
If not, the HT, seems to make more ponies.........:)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have the HallTech SideWinder on my 01QS and I am very pleased. It looks good and performs nicely too. I have not dynoed the car either before or after, but I do feel the car breathing easier and feels more responsive. I added it at about 8500 miles on the clock. It uses the open grille area of the Z06 for its cold air, no cutting required. You can also go with the TRIC which does require cutting the shroud. You can buy the SideWinder kit and the TRIC bottom breather piece. If you are doing every day driving and are concerned about rain, use the SideWinder. On other days or when the heavy rain is no threat, simply change to the TRIC and you have its performance. They both hook up to the MAG very easily, about 10 minutes for the swap. Either way, you will see some nice perfromance increases. You can view my SideWinder in the grandstand section under mrdatalife's pictures in the "Eckler's pics" thread. The first 2 pictures are of my SideWinder. I also have the new chrome-trimmed filter but didn't have time to install it before the Ecklers event. Give Jim Hall a call. He is very good at explaining everything to help you make the right decision.

I hope this helps.

Don

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the Halltech TRIC/MAG and am very happy with it. A big SOTP increase in power. I also considered the Breathless Vortex. I choose the TRIC because I though it looked nicer. If you change your mind about cutting the radiator shroud later, a new shroud is cheap and easy to install. (The Vortex also requires cutting the shroud.)

However, I cannot understand why everyone seems so concerned about getting water into the TRIC. You would have to drive into almost 1' standing water to ingest water into the intake. To do that would be foolish. A Corvette is NOT a boat. Stay out of standing water -- ANY standing water. That goes whether you have an intake installed or not.

Ingesting water in a very heavy rain is not an issue, because the radiator intake opening is not in line with any splash from the front wheels. Possibly a few droplets would be sucked onto the air filter, but so what. No harm done.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
420 Posts
There have been numerous hydrolocks with every cold air kit while driving through FAR LESS than 1' of water. Careful out there....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ram Air Induction

At Corvette Concepts, we have been installing Ram Air Induction since 1997 on C5 Corvettes....after numerous upgrades, I feel we offer the most solid housing, easiest installation and filter service of any Ram Air presently offered. We had used other brands of systems as alternatives to our own, but after two hydro lock motors in six weeks, we decided to go back to our own production. Our unit features a scoop that greatly reduces the chance of hydro lock, a genuine K&N filter, a solid acrylic housing, a thick plexiglas template for ease of install, and neat hood badges stating "5.7 LS6 Ram Air Induction" in choice of colors. You'll find our easy to follow instructions along with phone assistance from 8 AM to 8PM Eastern 7 days a week. Our money back guarantee will assure your satisfaction. We have never had a hydro lock with this system to date. Customers' have stated that they can feel the difference in power when changing from other sytems to ours.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with Jim. Jake may know of hydro lock ups being he's in the hi-po business. I don't and I will admit I was concerned. I bought a Vortec Ram Aie at the Corvette Show @ Route 66 Joliet Illinois three weeks ago. I went on a cruise about 120 miles oneway with our local car club. I got caught in the rain and it came down hard. I drove in it for 1 1/2 hours and was very much in tuned to the sound of the engine. It never skipped a beat. The rain had caused the state to close down the right lane due to flooding. So it was heavey. When I got her home I checked the filter and it was bone dry. Do not plow the front end into deep standing water and there should be no problem.
As far as performance I can't say I have not gotten on it to tell if there is a difference or not. You can hear the air movement into the intake a little (slight wheezing) and there is more cool than before so it probably works. How much HP Ernie @ Breathless says 9hp RWHP,24 @ the flywheel. My $.02 worth.
Wayne Casalino

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Flame said:
I agree with Jim. Jake may know of hydro lock ups being he's in the hi-po business. I don't and I will admit I was concerned. Wayne Casalino
As you say, Wayne, I am a tuner, however, I have been installing Ram Air Induction for five years. We also build the fastest stock block cars in the country according to those in the know.

Our Ram Air is as safe as a stock car providing you don't drive through standing water over a foot deep. Even a stock car will hydro lock if if drive though deep water. Driving in the rain WILL NOT cause a hydro lock condition. AS an owner of four C5 Corvettes, I can tell you my personal experiences. You will feel a noticable performance change in your car after installation. We have removed other styles of air systems and our customers tell us they can feel a gain.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The Donaldson blackwing got me zero on the dyno and seat of the pants said zero also.
Might be due to the fact I removed screen so airflow might be rough near entrance.
I just brought but have yet to recieve or dyno the sidewinder.
Looks killer though so I have high hopes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guy's

See ya
John

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jake: We're in agreement on staying out of the water. So can you tell
me what is different on your ram air unit verses the BBP unit? They look the same from the picture on your web site.
Wayne

1 - 15 of 15 Posts