Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering moving up tp ASP class in SCCA. I am considering the Vararam VRB2 w/powerduct or 2nd choice Callaway Honker. I have heard that because of the lenght of the VR in might not be as good as the stk system I have with only a K&N filter installed at the lower AX speeds. That it works best above 70mph which is no good for AX.
This is a dedicated track car and no street use, is there a better system then these two? Or is one of these the best?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car came with a Halltech induction system. I sold it on eBay since that's not allowed in Super Stock. Found I recorded exactly the same 2nd gear acceleration on MaxQdata on same road with the OEM intake and a drop-in K&N filter.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Get a K&N filter and do the "zip-tie" mod using your stock airbox. That's all you'll ever need to auto-x. :yeadog:

Jimbo

·
Registered
95 Posts
I spent a ton of time and effort, and trial and error trying to get a good solution to duct cold outside air to the intake of my CSP miata when I was AX that. the intake I had was good, but was under the hood. nobody in the aftermarket made anything that got cold air. and according to the rules you cant cut or remove parts to duct cold air. so ther was not an easy solution. I had to go custom fab homemade fiberglass box that wedged and snaked to get in front of the radiator. anyway, I could tell a difference the fresh air made even on a 150RWHP car. and all the front runners in CSP had custom fab solutions for cold air ducting. my guess is, if you troll the grid at nationals, I bet all the front runners in ASP and SSP do too.

Now given that there are easy button off the shelf options to duct cold air, its a no brainer. I personally just got a vararam. I run time trials with NASA in TT3, so I am just limited to 9.0:1 power to weight. the single intake is the only power mod I will have and will make weight. anyway, when researching, I saw the vararam and imediately thought, "dang, thats genius, I wish there was something like that when I was racing the miata."

Now on an unrelated subject. if you in the stock (or new "street" class) I would try to avoid ASP. going to street prepared opens a whole new can of worms. it can be fun, but just be prepared for a ton of money and time in the garage if you want to be competitive in the class.

ADD version >>> if you plan to play in ASP, why would you not duct cold air? do it!

·
9,755 Posts
Hey, if your information is pertinent, who cares how old the thread is.

Mike
Absolutely! Newbees can benefit from this info no matter how old. :yeadog:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts