Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Best HUD display mode for street driving?

• MPH only

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • RPM only

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • MPH + RPM

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • MPH + gauges

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • MPH + RPM + gauges

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • No HUD at all is best for me

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For '01 Z06 owners . . .

the only "vote" that makes sense is "No HUD", or if you did have it as standard equipment, take your best guess on how you would most likely use it. I think most everyone is familiar with this "high tech" feature whether you have it or not.

Personally, I find the HUD somewhat hard to read, especially the bargraph style tach and gauges readouts. Those displays are quite crude compared to the highly accurate DIC digital readouts.

Even the analog gauges on the instrument panel are much easier to read. The digital mph readout in the HUD is the one and only redeeming quality. I tend to use the HUD mostly in the speedo only mode. The rest of HUD's readouts only serve to clutter up the display window.

For the track, I've heard it said that the HUD's digital mph display readout is quite useful for knowing entry/exist speeds, which are much easier to pick up at a glance without necessarily diverting your eyes from the course.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
MPH only, most of the time, unless I am going to run through the gears then I will put the tach up and use the shift light.

carzzy

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
HUD Uber Alles

My HUD is set up with mph, rpm and fuel. All I need to roll on down the road unless the low oil pressure DIC comes on.
Z06Y Lady :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have found the HUD great to deal with and unobtrusive.
I have never had one before, and the only difficulty is in remembering its there and not to have to look down at the regular display.
I keep it up with all features and find the tach and mph particularly valuable when cruising down the street or avoiding police traps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The HUD is a great feature.

I had one in my 97 Grand Prix GTP and it took a little while but it's a real convience/safety item. Esp nice for learning those shift points. :)

I really miss it in the Aurora and Impala.
- JeffMc

·
Registered
248 Posts
After picking up my car at the museum last week, I spent a week driving this car to California.

It took me exactly 5 minutes to fall in love with the HUD. I played with all the setting possible and decided I liked the MPH, RPM, and Gasoline gauge on the screen. Now that I am home and may not need to worry about stopping for gas -- I may remove that from the display.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I usually run with the MPH set really dim. Only notice it when I am checking my speed. The only disadvantage is I find myself driving at the speed limit. One good thing about it is my wife can't see the speed on the HUD display. She acts as the engine speed govener. Tends to hold the speed to less then 95 MPH or she wants out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
rpm, mph, & temp

·
Registered
631 Posts
Kilometres per hour.

Thanks to our idiot government for all the changes 20 years ago.

Still not used to the metric system in Canada.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
MPH, Tach and Fuel for me. It sure is a nice feature. It's a nice addition over the'01.:z:

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I found out that the 2002 would have the HUD as standard equipment, I was disappointed. Had never had or needed it.

By the end of the break in period, I had changed my mind. I actually like it because my eyes don't have to refocus to see it clearly. I set it to MPH only.

Great car. :D

·
Registered
991 Posts
love HUD

My SSEi Bonni has HUD. I have never had it before that. I love it in the SSEi and love it in my new 02 Z. RPM and speed most of the time. Only takes 5 min. to fall in love with.
Jim

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Jim I agree. When I get it broke in I get to see the shift light at 6250 rpms. Greatest thing since peanut butter. :D

Pat

·
Registered
376 Posts
rpm,mph,temp,,,,,I have also seen the (check gages) in the hud display on a hot day after a hard run, coolant temp was a bit high. When the temp went down ,the check gages went away.:D :D :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts