Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never really found an answer to this one. Borla(k&n), Vararam(k&n), or blackwing? There has to be definitave proof somewhere as to which is the best solution. Installation problems aside (vararam), in the end which ends up to be the best HP gain and smoothest throttle response for a Z06?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Definitive proof. There is none that I know of.
I think the Vararam is best because of its ability to take in colder air. :cheers:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Vararam will help redude the pressure loss due to increased speed and after the TB plate is closed/opened after each shift.

The air inside the hood loses pressure because is moving at the same speed as the car, whereas the air outside is not moving at all when the car goes faster. The VR takes the air that is not moving from the outside and helps alleviate pressure at higher speeds (and for the TB plate right when it reopens after a shift).

As for cold air, well, the VR will obviously get the air as cold as it can be from the ouside.
I think any intake similar to the VR will work very well, after all, the C5-Rs use a setup like the VR does.

GB.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Vortex. Ram air intake like the Vararam, but much easier to install and comes with a higher quality filter.

·
Registered
158 Posts
will82 said:
Vortex. Ram air intake like the Vararam, but much easier to install and comes with a higher quality filter.
Not really a 'ram air' setup because the air inside the radiator cavity suffers from the same pressure loss the inside of the hood does. The air is trapped inside the radiator cavity and is not moving very much. On top of that, you're cutting the radiator shroud, which I think is a bad idea on this type of cars. The vararam is somewhat difficult to install, but they say no pain, no gain. I know there is another intake that gets the air from the plate holder and that one is probably a very good intake as well.

GB.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
GranBichus said:
Not really a 'ram air' setup because the air inside the radiator cavity suffers from the same pressure loss the inside of the hood does. The air is trapped inside the radiator cavity and is not moving very much. On top of that, you're cutting the radiator shroud, which I think is a bad idea on this type of cars. The vararam is somewhat difficult to install, but they say no pain, no gain. I know there is another intake that gets the air from the plate holder and that one is probably a very good intake as well.

GB.
For what it's worth, I switched from a Vararam to a Vortex because of my Accusump install and noticed no difference in performance whatsoever. Why do you see a problem with cutting the shroud? I road race my car and saw no differences/issues with coolant temps after the Vortex install.

·
Registered
396 Posts
GranBichus said:

GB.
Cutting the stock shroud can be avoided by buying a pre-cut shroud, my total bill for the system and shroud was around $270.

Also, I have only seen numbers that back up the ram air effect of the vortex. Its 1/4 mile performance increases, while not quite as good as the vararam, are similar and far superior to the stock intake or aftermarket filters like K&N or Blackwing. I went with the vortex because the difference in performance between it and the vararam is minimal, and it has a better filter and build quality. If you do a search on the forum, you will find many more people who have had issues/problems with the vararam setup.

The power difference on the highway at speeds over 100mph is unmistakeable. Also I live in rainy FL and my car is a daily driver, and I have never had any problems.

Just my .02 :thumb:

·
Registered
396 Posts
GranBichus said:
Not really a 'ram air' setup because the air inside the radiator cavity suffers from the same pressure loss the inside of the hood does. The air is trapped inside the radiator cavity and is not moving very much. GB.
It has been shown that at low speeds, systems like Vararam and Vortex aren't really much better than other aftermarket filter setups. It is at high speeds, when they force air into the motor, that they really shine. When I floor it on the highway at around 80 or 90, I climb easily up to 150mph. These systems are like having a small turbo at high speeds. When air is flying into my radiator and moving up into the vortex's sealed airbox at 100, 110, 120, 130... mph, I assure you there is no problem with pressure loss. And, as stated by dmtnt above, there is no noticeable differnce in performance, and the numbers back that up with the vararam having a very slight advantage in actual 1/4 improvement #s.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thats cool. But I prefer to leave the radiator shroud alone so my car doesn't want to take off at high speeds. Somebody here told me (couple of times, actually) that some Vette owners go to the extreme of sealing the edges of the radiator shroud to prevent air from leaking out, thus making the car more stable at high speeds.

From what I remember of pressure and airfoils, installing the intake in the radiator shroud is like installing the intake in the back bumper. It is outside the car, but its not in the leading edge where all the air hasn't been affected yet.

At any rate will82, you buy what you think is right for you.

I think you've answered the question to the original thread as well, when you said the Vararam is a better system at high speeds.

GB.

will82 said:
It has been shown that at low speeds, systems like Vararam and Vortex aren't really much better than other aftermarket filter setups. It is at high speeds, when they force air into the motor, that they really shine. When I floor it on the highway at around 80 or 90, I climb easily up to 150mph. These systems are like having a small turbo at high speeds. When air is flying into my radiator and moving up into the vortex's sealed airbox at 100, 110, 120, 130... mph, I assure you there is no problem with pressure loss. And, as stated by dmtnt above, there is no noticeable differnce in performance, and the numbers back that up with the vararam having a very slight advantage in actual 1/4 improvement #s.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
zeroz06 said:
Never really found an answer to this one. Borla(k&n), Vararam(k&n), or blackwing? There has to be definitave proof somewhere as to which is the best solution. Installation problems aside (vararam), in the end which ends up to be the best HP gain and smoothest throttle response for a Z06?
I have a Callaway C5 Honker that was just installed by Corvettes of Houston. Thunder racing is going to start carrying thm as well. The C5 Honker just went on the market 30 days ago. Call Reeves Callaway and get the stats as they compared the Honker to the stock intake, VR1B, the Blackwing, and the K&N FIPK and it outflowed all of them by a significant amount - approximately 20-30%. I got rid of the VaraRam for the Honker and the latter is better made and easier to maintain. The Honker filter is significantly larger than the VR1B and is made of electromagnetic microfibers so you just wash it with dish detegent and let it dry...no re-oiling with some light weight oil. Its also a lot easier to access the filter in the Honker than in the Vr1b. I have been very pleased and will let you all know the dyno results when I get a chance to redyno...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
ScDFACHE said:
I have been very pleased and will let you all know the dyno results when I get a chance to redyno...
Yes, please let us know. Everything about that Honker looks great except the price tag.... :cry:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Can't say which is best, but Ive used the Black Wing on my C5's and was satisfied.

Have not found any aftermarket for the C6 yet. :(

·
Registered
244 Posts
The Honker sounds interesting.. Too bad it sounds like a Groucho Marks Accessorie...
I was reading about it on the Callaway site, but don't understand where it draws its air from.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts